Riding West of Marathon

Hoosier

Wondering if it's possible to ride West of Marathon towards Thunder Bay. I know there were trails there at some point - I assume they folded with the recession. We've been riding in Ontario the past 4-5 years - really enjoy exploring up there. 

the short answer is no. there is riding but, no organized trails. that, and thunder bay is not a snowmobile friendly community. that is why there is no more ride around lake superior stories. Ski

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Wondering if it's possible to ride West of Marathon towards Thunder Bay. I know there were trails there at some point - I assume they folded with the recession. We've been riding in Ontario the past 4-5 years - really enjoy exploring up there. 

Hey  there  Glad to hear you enjoy riding Ontario trails.  Just a quick note, not sure if you want to ride now, but our borders are closed for non essential travel.   Always next year   Be safe and stay healthy

Edited by volunteer2

It would be incredibly difficult. The trail from Marathon to Terrace Bay can still probably be run, you’d want to pack a power saw. From Terrace Bay to Nipigon would be next to impossible. That trail was on and off the power line, and the off power line parts have not been ventured upon in years. If you could get to Gravel River, it’s possible to run on the lake to Red Rock. Beyond there to Thunder Bay, there’s lots of private land to get around.  It would not be an easy trip. As mentioned previously, the province is basically on shut down right now, so this wouldn’t be something to try this year. 

Edited by Bucking Pig
  • Like 1

Not the area that the OP asked about but what about the old CN Kinghorn Sub? I have seen pics of ATV riders on it. From the scenery I've seen driving along Hwy 11 from Jellicoe down to Nipigon it would be pretty impressive.

10 hours ago, revrnd said:

Not the area that the OP asked about but what about the old CN Kinghorn Sub? I have seen pics of ATV riders on it. From the scenery I've seen driving along Hwy 11 from Jellicoe down to Nipigon it would be pretty impressive.

That is potentially doable in places, but I know at least one culvert has failed, and would be tough to get around. Most of the larger bridges have concrete barricades on them as well. CN still owns the route, and does not do regular engineering inspections of anything on that route. They consider anyone on the former track as trespassers. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2020 at 8:34 PM, Bucking Pig said:

It would be incredibly difficult. The trail from Marathon to Terrace Bay can still probably be run, you’d want to pack a power saw. From Terrace Bay to Nipigon would be next to impossible. That trail was on and off the power line, and the off power line parts have not been ventured upon in years. If you could get to Gravel River, it’s possible to run on the lake to Red Rock. Beyond there to Thunder Bay, there’s lots of private land to get around.  It would not be an easy trip. As mentioned previously, the province is basically on shut down right now, so this wouldn’t be something to try this year. 

Thanks. I was more interested for future seasons. Heard people say those used to be incredible trails, with the terrain.

Give it a go . Sounds like a hell of an adventure . Your group could get shuttled around the more challenging areas . Hire a local guide if needed. With all the tech available today , sat phones gps reliable sleds etc. why not take some time research the possibility .

39 minutes ago, coldfinger said:

Give it a go . Sounds like a hell of an adventure . Your group could get shuttled around the more challenging areas . Hire a local guide if needed. With all the tech available today , sat phones gps reliable sleds etc. why not take some time research the possibility .

There are some big hills in that area and some incredible terrain. Who knows what kind of shape bridges are in where trail use to go, like bp said. Bringing this area back in future would be one heck of a challenge in infrastructure alone I bet, if permission could be granted again.,

Edited by Strong Farmer

Even back-in-the-day, when those clubs were still clubs, they still had very few weeks of open trail each year. I highly recommend that folks go hit that area if/when they are open, but don't wait for groomed trails west of Marathon in the foreseeable future.

8 hours ago, Ox said:

Even back-in-the-day, when those clubs were still clubs, they still had very few weeks of open trail each year. I highly recommend that folks go hit that area if/when they are open, but don't wait for groomed trails west of Marathon in the foreseeable future.

I don’t think we will see it again either., maybe a loop from marathon is possible in future, but it sounds like from acya posts that some of newer existing trails need some infrastructure like D201F and trail out to marathon from dub and some of D trail near soo. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

On 3/29/2020 at 8:13 AM, Bucking Pig said:

That is potentially doable in places, but I know at least one culvert has failed, and would be tough to get around. Most of the larger bridges have concrete barricades on them as well. CN still owns the route, and does not do regular engineering inspections of anything on that route. They consider anyone on the former track as trespassers. 

Thanks. I guess the pics I saw were from areas where the obstacles could be 'bypassed'.

Deadfall is a major concern for that area I think.

The north shore seems to git it's share of ice storms, and - maybe deadfall aint the biggest issue, but down sapplings anyway.

If you have longtracks and want to go play, you could ride out of Terrace Bay in a few directions (not South) and maybe get a ways. 

Depending on how much snow they have. Some years a lot, some years hardly any - as they are on the wrong side of the lake for any lake effect. (usually)

There is a million loony bridge yonder that should see a skdoo at some point again one day...

Even when the trail system was in place over there, it still never went west of Nippigon as Thunder Bay is a black hole for trail support, and has been that way all along.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ox said:

The north shore seems to git it's share of ice storms, and - maybe deadfall aint the biggest issue, but down sapplings anyway.

If you have longtracks and want to go play, you could ride out of Terrace Bay in a few directions (not South) and maybe get a ways. 

Depending on how much snow they have. Some years a lot, some years hardly any - as they are on the wrong side of the lake for any lake effect. (usually)

There is a million loony bridge yonder that should see a skdoo at some point again one day...

Even when the trail system was in place over there, it still never went west of Nippigon as Thunder Bay is a black hole for trail support, and has been that way all along.

I remember when the Pic River bridge was built east of Marathon.

image.thumb.png.ed8518092ce48dcbb50b0fa65fba03b1.png

I wasn't able to take any pics when I was out there a few years ago as the highway bridge was being rebuilt & no place to stop.

I think it was after a groomer operator drowned after attempting to cross the ice. 

http://www.sno-kickers.com/bridge/

Pictures I took of that bridge a couple years back when my daughter and I ran over to Marathon for the day and back to Dubreuilville. 

7BD1F479-317B-4AE1-AC74-107EF08D5118.jpeg

B67D448D-F85A-49C5-8ABB-917E241FA9F2.jpeg

1D2882A9-48D8-46A0-A2D4-353D363807A9.jpeg

9623A7DE-EF66-46F1-A990-D40D0DFC8DE4.jpeg

FE8D6874-C800-4D2B-94C4-F93CA30BC707.jpeg

1AB6FEDA-759B-489C-8353-47AABF06DB5A.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, revrnd said:

I think it was after a groomer operator drowned after attempting to cross the ice. 

That's the short/sweet of it - yes.

But they were just prepping the bank, not actually trying to cross.

Just got out too far and broke through.

One guy made it out and hoofed it back to Manitouwadge overnight in -30 temps, and walked straight into the hospital (Band-aid station?) there.

Amazingly he made it, but the trainee did not surface.

• Sad 1

@AC+YA How far west of the M'wadge turn is it to Marathon? That's the furthest west that I've been on TOP D.

Looks like 40 klicks on the old Superior Snow Challenge map.

Referred to as Dunc Lake intersection, but it seems to be a ways away from the actual lake.

???

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ox said:

Looks like 40 klicks on the old Superior Snow Challenge map.

Referred to as Dunc Lake intersection, but it seems to be a ways away from the actual lake.

???

Yes, Dunc Lake is closer to White Lake. Don't ask me how I know LOL

@Hoosier Seeing your nickname reminds me of 3 sledders from Ft Wayne that we met in the Soo waiting to load our sleds on the train to Hearst around '08. It was I think the Presidents Day weekend for you guys. They unloaded in D'ville & were going to spend the next 3 days riding back to the Soo.

5 hours ago, Ox said:

Actually, Thunder Bay was not the black hole. At one time, they boasted the largest snowmobile club membership anywhere. A township south and west of Thunder Bay(Neebing)  was the black hole. Thunder Bay was very pro snowmobile until 3 or 4 crappy winters, and the local economy tanking killed the number of permit holders. The club couldn’t recover and that was the end of organized snowmobiling here. Nobody has been interested enough to try and bring it back. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Bucking Pig said:

Actually, Thunder Bay was not the black hole. At one time, they boasted the largest snowmobile club membership anywhere. A township south and west of Thunder Bay(Neebing)  was the black hole. Thunder Bay was very pro snowmobile until 3 or 4 crappy winters, and the local economy tanking killed the number of permit holders. The club couldn’t recover and that was the end of organized snowmobiling here. Nobody has been interested enough to try and bring it back. 

Can you put a year on that?

B/c I never knew of a trail between there and Nippigon.

The only other sledder that I know from TB is Dynamo Joe.

It would be the mid 90’s, just off the top of my head. I was heavily involved with the Nipigon club around then. I recall making the run a couple times on my 93 Enticer. Lol. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ox said:

That's the short/sweet of it - yes.

But they were just prepping the bank, not actually trying to cross.

Just got out too far and broke through.

One guy made it out and hoofed it back to Manitouwadge overnight in -30 temps, and walked straight into the hospital (Band-aid station?) there.

Amazingly he made it, but the trainee did not surface.

Trying to put a date on this - I am coming up with Dec/Jan '98/'99 maybe?

Edited by Ox

7 hours ago, AC+YA said:

Pictures I took of that bridge a couple years back when my daughter and I ran over to Marathon for the day and back to Dubreuilville. 

7BD1F479-317B-4AE1-AC74-107EF08D5118.jpeg

B67D448D-F85A-49C5-8ABB-917E241FA9F2.jpeg

1D2882A9-48D8-46A0-A2D4-353D363807A9.jpeg

9623A7DE-EF66-46F1-A990-D40D0DFC8DE4.jpeg

FE8D6874-C800-4D2B-94C4-F93CA30BC707.jpeg

1AB6FEDA-759B-489C-8353-47AABF06DB5A.jpeg

That is some cool crap right there!!