Not a good day to go sledding

soupkids

I was told it was running yesterday.

Had a long conversation with the mechanic and he sees no problems with the sled after everything I dried out.

Now I'm playing the waiting game.

Dealer submits estimate then we wait.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, soupkids said:

I was told it was running yesterday.

Had a long conversation with the mechanic and he sees no problems with the sled after everything I dried out.

Now I'm playing the waiting game.

Dealer submits estimate then we wait.

Good news Soup. I would suggest making sure they change the foam in the seat (if they haven't got it in the estimate already) because it is darn near impossible to get it dried out properly.

4 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Good news Soup. I would suggest making sure they change the foam in the seat (if they haven't got it in the estimate already) because it is darn near impossible to get it dried out properly.

New seat in the quote.

On 1/4/2018 at 5:22 PM, zoso said:

Not the case. All fire and flood vehicles that are imported get branded irreparable, if it was to happen here, it would depend on what it is branded as, this sled could become branded as salvage and thus be registered as rebuilt once repaired. Where this gets even more odd, is with sleds there is no safety required to plate them and unlike bikes or cars and trucks there is no mention of them in the legislation at all. perhaps somebody that has bought back a written off sled can chime in and tell us if it was branded at all and if so who inspected it after the repairs and what that inspection would even entail being there are no guidelines for one.

I bought back my sled after it caught fire about 6 years ago and rebuilt it myself with used parts for $1000 plus the buy back which was another $1500. Their is no branding. I'm still riding this sled today. Also I bought a wrecked tunnel from a wrecker last year and it also came with an ownership and it's in use today as well. For a written off sled you have to negotiate a buy back value which is normally the cost a wrecker is willing to buy it for. The insurance gets that money regardless if it comes from the wrecker or you. Automobiles are different, if you bought a wrecked car and repair it you need it inspected before you can get an ownership.

1 hour ago, flash 800 said:

I bought back my sled after it caught fire about 6 years ago and rebuilt it myself with used parts for $1000 plus the buy back which was another $1500. Their is no branding. I'm still riding this sled today. Also I bought a wrecked tunnel from a wrecker last year and it also came with an ownership and it's in use today as well. For a written off sled you have to negotiate a buy back value which is normally the cost a wrecker is willing to buy it for. The insurance gets that money regardless if it comes from the wrecker or you. Automobiles are different, if you bought a wrecked car and repair it you need it inspected before you can get an ownership.

Is there not a potential insurance problem with a wrecked tunnel. That is where the VIN is. The reason I ask is we bought a sled for my wife a few years ago and it was a Legend 700. I mistakenly thought it was a Legend 600. We had been looking at two identical sleds other than the engine size. When I called the insurance company to get coverage they asked the engine size and I told them 600 then gave them the VIN. They said they couldn't insure it since the VIN was for a 700 and not a 600. I checked and in fact we did have the 700 and were able to get the coverage. They weren't prepared to insure something that had a different size engine than what the VIN indicated. A replacement engine the same size is fine but not a different size.

10 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Is there not a potential insurance problem with a wrecked tunnel. That is where the VIN is. The reason I ask is we bought a sled for my wife a few years ago and it was a Legend 700. I mistakenly thought it was a Legend 600. We had been looking at two identical sleds other than the engine size. When I called the insurance company to get coverage they asked the engine size and I told them 600 then gave them the VIN. They said they couldn't insure it since the VIN was for a 700 and not a 600. I checked and in fact we did have the 700 and were able to get the coverage. They weren't prepared to insure something that had a different size engine than what the VIN indicated. A replacement engine the same size is fine but not a different size.

TD right?

9 hours ago, Spiderman said:

TD right?

They won't ensure anything that is modified away from stock form and nothing that is used commercially. Tried to get them to cover an atv, that was a no go since I put it in company name (work vechicle). 

4 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

They won't ensure anything that is modified away from stock form and nothing that is used commercially. Tried to get them to cover an atv, that was a no go since I put it in company name (work vechicle). 

They cancelled my cousins insurance on his Harley cause he changed the exhaust and bars.....

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

They cancelled my cousins insurance on his Harley cause he changed the exhaust and bars.....

If they cancelled everyones' insurance for modded exhausts there would be about 5% compliance around here ....

1 hour ago, Denis007 said:

If they cancelled everyones' insurance for modded exhausts there would be about 5% compliance around here ....

Who wants to fight if there is a claim, best to disclose what you have and find a company that want to write a policy on it. TD sucks once you have been there a couple of years. They have great rates for new customers but jack em up soon after. I was once told my homeowners tripled because of katrina. I fired em that year and got my homeowners for less that TD before the scam rate hike. I have been with All State for 4 years now, my deductibles are dropping, comp is zero, collision is 100 and homeowners is 100, next year all zero and my rates have steadily declined slightly over the past three years. nobody could beat them this renewal. They value good customers and look to keep them unlike TD.

Never had the problem you mentioned. They have had my business ever since they bought out Liberty Mutual. The rates have always been good for me. They have all of our insurance. Each year I shop around. I may pay a little bit more for the RV and a little bit less for the boat and so on. I look at the collective total of all the policies and compare it to the total I would pay if I broke it down with company A insuring the trucks, B insuring the house, C the boat and so on. With everything bundled I am paying slightly less than I would if I broke everything up between multiple companies, some of them which are "unknowns" at least to me.

I have never had to fight for a claim. The hybrid sled trailer was written off. The appraiser came out to look at it. When I spoke to the adjuster I got, I don't think he has appraised this high enough based on actual replacement cost. I'm going to increase that. Let me check, I think I can waive the deductible. Yes I can. Net result. The 2.5 year old trailer was replaced. Net cost to me was something like $350 - $400.

Before that we had a break in at the house and had replacement cost coverage. They came to the house the day we called, gave them the police report number and before he left he gave us a cheque for $5K and said start replacing things. Keep the receipts and as you're getting close to the $5K submit them and what is left on the list and we'll send you more money. Never had to spend a cent of our money and wait for reimbursement.

16 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Never had the problem you mentioned. They have had my business ever since they bought out Liberty Mutual. The rates have always been good for me. They have all of our insurance. Each year I shop around. I may pay a little bit more for the RV and a little bit less for the boat and so on. I look at the collective total of all the policies and compare it to the total I would pay if I broke it down with company A insuring the trucks, B insuring the house, C the boat and so on. With everything bundled I am paying slightly less than I would if I broke everything up between multiple companies, some of them which are "unknowns" at least to me.

I have never had to fight for a claim. The hybrid sled trailer was written off. The appraiser came out to look at it. When I spoke to the adjuster I got, I don't think he has appraised this high enough based on actual replacement cost. I'm going to increase that. Let me check, I think I can waive the deductible. Yes I can. Net result. The 2.5 year old trailer was replaced. Net cost to me was something like $350 - $400.

Before that we had a break in at the house and had replacement cost coverage. They came to the house the day we called, gave them the police report number and before he left he gave us a cheque for $5K and said start replacing things. Keep the receipts and as you're getting close to the $5K submit them and what is left on the list and we'll send you more money. Never had to spend a cent of our money and wait for reimbursement.

The have my sled and that's it, they will never have my home or auto.

On 1/10/2018 at 11:22 AM, Spiderman said:

How did they know he made these changes?

Neither have any real affect on the bike at all, from a safety standpoint.

I am guessing they asked if he made modifications to the bike during a call in, and he spilled the beans....I hate calling in for changes, need to go through the 5th degree with the questionnaire....

On 1/10/2018 at 3:24 PM, 02Sled said:

I wish my experience had been that positive. The guy handling my file went off sick and they did nothing. After waiting for a go ahead to start replacing my stuff, I called them. "Joe's been out sick for a month & a half." Apparently, my case was collecting dust on his desk. Claim started Jan' 2 & my final payment was the middle of July.

9 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I wish my experience had been that positive. The guy handling my file went off sick and they did nothing after waiting for a go ahead to start replacing my stuff, I called them. "Joe's been out sick for a month & a half." Apparently, my case was collecting dust on his desk. Claim started Jan' 2 & my final payment was the middle of July.

So what is with having to replace your stuff, just cut me my cheque and go away to work on figuring a way to bill the exact amount and more back onto my rates.

On 1/9/2018 at 10:21 AM, 02Sled said:

I can't honestly say about this scenario. You may be right or its a TD thing but for me I had bought a tunnel that was the same engine as mine. I have skidoo 1200s so I can't exactly shoehorn that engine in the XP but you could very well be correct in this situation. There are different rates for different engine size so I could see that as a problem.

16 hours ago, zoso said:

So what is with having to replace your stuff, just cut me my cheque and go away to work on figuring a way to bill the exact amount and more back onto my rates.

Most policies only pay replacement cost when you have replaced it, actual cash value first, replacement when you do it.

we have some endorsements that over ride this, but special circumstances only to get that coverage

5 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Most policies only pay replacement cost when you have replaced it, actual cash value first, replacement when you do it.

we have some endorsements that over ride this, but special circumstances only to get that coverage

Thanks. I did not even realize that you could get new stuff to replace the old stuff, like a sofa that was eight years old that has a new replacement value of 2k is worth 50 bucks used. I guess you would be crazy not to buy new stuff. i should actually read my policy one day, but man are they boring and convoluted.

38 minutes ago, zoso said:

Thanks. I did not even realize that you could get new stuff to replace the old stuff, like a sofa that was eight years old that has a new replacement value of 2k is worth 50 bucks used. I guess you would be crazy not to buy new stuff. i should actually read my policy one day, but man are they boring and convoluted.

Just call the insurance company and ask them if you have replacement cost endorsement on the policy. They can tell you if you do or not and how much it would cost to add. It's not expensive.

Insurance company just called and they are writing the sled off.

WTF

Now the problems start. 

I did not think any insurance company would give replacement cost endorsement on a snowmobile, only automobiles ? The two that i have called so far will not. Does anyone have insurance with the company that does have a replacement endorsement for snowmobiles and if so what insurance company ?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, hancop said:

I did not think any insurance company would give replacement cost endorsement on a snowmobile, only automobiles ? The two that i have called so far will not. Does anyone have insurance with the company that does have a replacement endorsement for snowmobiles and if so what insurance company ?

Thanks

Never heard of it for snowmobiles. Pretty common though for vehicles under a certain age and household contents.

17 minutes ago, hancop said:

Thanks

I too asked as my new vehicles had it at the time, was not offered. 

40 minutes ago, zoso said:

Whatever they offer you, demand more, and buy it back.

Trust me I will demand LOTS.

I have it in my possession, it will cost them to get it back.

Archived