Stand Up Wannabes

Cuyuna

What is need is more enforcement I have ridden 2600 k this year all over the province and have not seen one officer or trail patrol !

Or have I just been lucky? 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think a blanket ban would be effective or fair (although I am biased based on sled).  I would guess that my sled (and its 2.5" paddles) do less damage to the trail ridden with regard to the trail in mind, than a shorter lug possibly studded track ridden aggressively.  I get that big lugs are not ideal but again it comes down the rider more then the sled.  I wish I could have both a trail sled and and off trail sled but that is not feasible.  If I (and I am sure many others) were not allowed to ride the trails that removes me as a supporter, permit buyer and volunteer.  It comes down to education, enforcement of trespassing individuals and individuals taking responsibility for their actions and the effect they have on the wider community.  

The problem with the big paddles is the rider, thats true. But a train of them on a weekend all cutting left hand corners aggressively leaving that mogul in the apex of the proper lane is ridiculous. The trails are destroyed by lunch time. Not sure how you solve that problem. We ride late night on weekends to avoid it.

again, it is NOT the paddle length, track length, or the motor hp, ect... it is the person controlling the accelerator lever, PERIOD! I hate the throttle jockeys, and people mashing the throttle from a dead stop to create HUGE snow piles, and holes in the trail. just as much as the azzhats who stop side by side in the middle of the trail, drink while riding, ignoring closures ect...

it is the people you need to ban, not the tracks, or sleds. Ski

Big paddle or not, comes down to riders not giving a dam about anyone else enjoying the trails. Just as guilty, those that stop on the trail n feel the need to dig a hole to hell and back every time they take off or those that gotta dig the trail up n over ever single hill. I will however concede, the pricks that just have to bust across the banks, criss crossing the trail going across any n all virgin snow they can find is suddenly out of freakin control. At times it also creates confusion as to where the trail actually is or is not which in turn may see others follow their tracks and inadvertently add to the problem. 

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎04 at 11:27 PM, skidooboy said:

well said Matt! thank you,

wait til these start showing up, they are the fastest growing segment in the sport right now..dub jan 2017 036.JPG. they are coming, get used to it. Ski

if and when these are allowed on the trails, I wont think twice about dumping the sled...

7 hours ago, blown corner said:

Have a rule that states no track over 1.5 paddle to be enforced by patrol persons. Opp and whoever is left?

at least make it 1.75"...I know a lot of my riding this year was during or right after snowsqualls that dumped a ton of snow and my 1.25" ripsaw 2 is horrible in the deep powder (on trail) and just spins. I could be doing 70km/ph on dash and I swear I'm really only doing 40-50km. ive never owner a track bigger than 1.25" so cant really say if a 1.5" would actually be enough or not..

On February 4, 2017 at 6:03 PM, AceRacer said:

Yep.  Had an asshat stand up rider with the go-pro cam riding a red Pro-X literally tailgate me on a trail yesterday.  B-trail heading west out of Orillia. 

We were riding at a decent clip--briskly through the woods, opened it up through the fields.  But, clearly wasn't fast or aggressive enough for this kid.

So, being the kind gentlemen I am, I decided that for the next few miles through the bush I would ride a leisurely 20mph.  (didn't hold anyone up but him....)  I smiled ear to ear when he finally ripped by me on a field giving me the one finger wave.

On a side note, did a 100 mile loop, trails were consistently good.  I don't even bother riding on the wknds anymore....

We were on B coming out of Orillia on Saturday as well. It was great to have all the fresh snow. We were a group of 6 moving through the trees at a good pace. I slowed a bit down on a turn and one idiot with a can, clown suit standing up and camera on the helmet just has to pass me on the turn n. All you hear is the braaap. I was at the rear of our group all running the same speed and now he only has 5 more to get past. On top of that all 5 or 6 of his buddies are now behind me. I watch him running up the rear of my friends ahead going braaap braaap. He passes my friend ahead again on a turn. I guess he didn't care about leaving his buddies behind. They all took off when we got into an open field. 

Well, I guess if complaining about the trail status is becoming an issue with just shy of 20,000km available, need to find another avenue to vent :)

Have fun riding while you can, be safe & regard others no matter what you are doing !

9 hours ago, skidooboy said:

again, it is NOT the paddle length, track length, or the motor hp, ect... it is the person controlling the accelerator lever, PERIOD! I hate the throttle jockeys, and people mashing the throttle from a dead stop to create HUGE snow piles, and holes in the trail. just as much as the azzhats who stop side by side in the middle of the trail, drink while riding, ignoring closures ect...

it is the people you need to ban, not the tracks, or sleds. Ski

I agree, rode with my son this weekend and we watched a bunch of XRS renegade and freeride types ahead of us tear up the trail. They were going no faster and but hammering it out of the corner and over jumps.

Couple of thoughts that come to mind.  To frame my comments, I ride sitting down 99% of the time, one of my machine has studs and one has a 1.75 track.   I'm always the slowest driver in my group and stay on my side of the trail.   But,  I see some people riding harder, grabbing the throttle, throwing up snow and I don't mind it, I just want people to enjoy our sport they way they want to enjoy it.   We all have things we don't like and we are not going to change other people.   I just need to remember I need someone to be funding my CPP plan when I'm old and the also need the next generation funding my OFSC permit also.

When QC was thinking of banning studs because they damage roadways people were talking about the safety aspect.  Now we are talking about banning paddle tracks on Ontario, Just love the irony.    

We all thought that the REV platform was the best innovation in snowmobiling allowing the rider forward position and better comfort, as far as I'm concerned ride any position that allows you to enjoy your ride.    It this discussion was talking place in the 70"s it would be the riders that have one knee on the seat that are the ASSHATS.   How did you ride int he 70's and 80's 

Good news for riders (like myself) that want a smooth trail vs one that has been mogul-ed up.   Our permit fees cover a magic machine called a groomer. 

Cheers

horsepower, horsepower, horsepower....spent the day keeping traclk of guys crossing at roads, intersections, etc....did not count all sleds but counted 39 sleds ( 2 strokes , 500 and 600's) and only  5 of those sleds ) let her fly when taking off....counted well over 60 4 strokes and 53 let her fly like there was no tomorrow when taking off...it was like my Sno Jet had little monutains to climb..lol...just like a sports car, if the power is there you will use it....a guy at work asked me why a sled needed to go 200 k...had no answer for him....

4 hours ago, Fox said:

Our permit fees cover a magic machine called a groomer.

Except that it's not magic and you don't just snap your fingers.  It takes many hours of someone's time to fix it.  That's provided snow, temps, time, terrain etc will allow it.  Very disappointing to see your hard work destroyed by a few azzhats in a few minutes, meaning everyone else gets a shitty ride for the next day or two.

6 minutes ago, whits-end said:

Except that it's not magic and you don't just snap your fingers.  It takes many hours of someone's time to fix it.  That's provided snow, temps, time, terrain etc will allow it.  Very disappointing to see your hard work destroyed by a few azzhats in a few minutes, meaning everyone else gets a shitty ride for the next day or two.

Thanks, someone needed to say that ! Shouldn't have to, but subtlety is a forgotten art form these days.

On 04/02/2017 at 2:51 PM, Denis007 said:

Idgits. ... carry a broom handle and make it a game. .. try to knock the camera off their brain bucket. ... lol! 

Go for it, you get lousy video from that angle anyways... ;)

1 hour ago, Cuyuna said:

Thanks, someone needed to say that ! Shouldn't have to, but subtlety is a forgotten art form these days.

Agreed Cuyuna and Dweese,  I hope you know my comment related to the groomer was sarcasm.   That is why I added the word "magic Groomer" because we all know that is not the case and it takes alot of work.

The best way to ride good trails that are most times nicely groomed is go to Quebec, they don't seem to have a problem grooming

and i'm sure they have azzhats too! That why I buy permits for both provinces and never ride Barrie or Collingwood  area even when

I lived there for 20 years. there is way too much traffic. I also have a 1.6 lug ,thats not the problem. It's the thumb! 

Been on 2.5 rides this year. 250 miles and was stopped and checked for papers twice.  Both on the weekend of course in central Ontario.

Yet to see them on sleds though, just cozy cruisers...  The cops on Sunday near moonstone said their sleds were being repaired.

There is always some old codger that will complain about the current situation to the good old days.  

The fact is the world is changing, people are encroaching on once desolate rural lands as the baby boomers age and retire outside cities they buy country properties where sledding exists.  This is the biggest factor, not reckless freeriders.  Land usage has changed and liability is a much bigger issue.  As if there weren't reckless sledders 20 years ago, wake up people!!!  Not only were there far more sleds, they were louder and most guys had 2x their body weight in booze fill.  No traction either and very few people ran studs.

Well said!

I've yet to see any OPP out on the trails in the last two years. But then there was very little snow last year and this year has been challenging for many areas. Before that though we came across the OPP in a cruiser and the time before that on sleds. There is obviously a greater availability of cruisers than sleds for the OPP to be out on. I don't know that they have that many sleds available in general. Putting it in perspective when I drive past the OPP station on hwy 12 in Midland during the summer months I see one enclosed snowmobile trailer in the parking lot, not a half dozen trailers. That would suggest they have two sleds for the area. Similarly when I drive past the OPP station in Wasaga Beach in the summer there is also only one sled trailer. Personally I don't have a problem with them being in a cruiser at a point where a trail crosses a road. At least they are out and doing their jobs. I can only recall having to actually stop a few times. One was when they were checking the numbers on trail permits looking for a range of numbers that had been stolen. Quick look and on our way. Another was the C trail headed to the rail line at Coldwater. People were speeding straight at them coming through the field. We had all our ownership etc. so they ignored the speed except for the couple of guys doing excessively over. The trails have enough risks on them as it is. If they take one drunk rider, one uninsured rider, one unlicensed rider off the trails I can endure the MINOR inconvenience. After all I'm not in that much of a hurry for anything that another 4 or 5 minutes out of my day is going to matter. We'll spend much more than that going in for lunch and waiting for service.

Archived