Snowmobile accident Petawawa

Grimm

Accident yesterday.  Spoke to a couple of sledders who heard of a guy blowing through a corner and into a wire fence, sled gets hung up in fence and he gets launched over fence and into a river?  Apparently his buddies had to retrieve him downstream, though no idea if this guy is okay or not.

Anyone know anything?

Thats what happened.  

Seen the spot today. 

Its just as you enter the newer bridge in Petawawa heading west.  Crosses the river.   Not sure how anyone would miss that.  Just doesnt make any sense.  

Figured by the look of the wire and caution tape someone must of hit it.  

I walk there sometimes, not when trails are open. But i do have a pic from the bridge. 

(But once again pic wont upload.)

Whoah!  I just found a video of the spot that this happened.

Ya thats the spot.  Its only a 100yds from the last stop sign so if it were speed he would of had to of pinned it to be going too fast, and its only a slight curve at that.  Good thing no one was coming the opposite direction at the same time.   Last weekend coming back into Petawawa from the opposite direction we had two sleds pass us less than half a km from the stop sign at Paquett rd crossing.   He was side ways (parallel) with the highway and  on the shoulder and just got missed by a car.  Not sure how close as we were back a bit but could see the car's lights, looked too way too close.  

That things scary:blink:

I know a first responder who attended the scene to this accident, excessive speed and alcohol was a factor unfortunately in this case.

When he went over the embankment he landed on the rocks below where the fire department rescued him, sled was in water, he suffered a broken leg and was very disoriented. 

It was in the dark between 10-11pm and from what I have been hearing charges are pending. 

And the 2 yes less a day the lawsuit gets filed, club should have had more signs, taller fence.

Not sure those comments are good on a public forum Soup. No need to intimate that the club is somehow responsible for the victims actions IMHO.

Just stating what might happen.

It has happened before and not just once.

It costs a lot of money to get it tossed from court.

57 minutes ago, soupkids said:

And the 2 yes less a day the lawsuit gets filed, club should have had more signs, taller fence.

wow i think this is a little uncalled for!!  The Victim made the decision to drink and ride...  

It happens

I think what Soupkids is talking about is the fact that many times, despite all the efforts of the club and volunteers, and the negligent behaviour of those involved, within the two year limitation, a lawsuit is filed against the OFSC, club, and volunteer(s).  Despite the facts of the case, a defense has to be mounted against the suit, draining more and more money from the snow.

IMO, Soupkids was not blaming the club or volunteers, but was really playing devil's advocate about a possible next step to this story.

6 hours ago, sledjunk said:

I think what Soupkids is talking about is the fact that many times, despite all the efforts of the club and volunteers, and the negligent behaviour of those involved, within the two year limitation, a lawsuit is filed against the OFSC, club, and volunteer(s).  Despite the facts of the case, a defense has to be mounted against the suit, draining more and more money from the snow.

IMO, Soupkids was not blaming the club or volunteers, but was really playing devil's advocate about a possible next step to this story.

You are 100% correct.

2 hours ago, soupkids said:

You are 100% correct.

Perfect example of how things written or said can be taken different ways depending on the readers perspective.

I have nothing to say other than if alcohol was a factor, then I have not much remorse for what happened..if your stupid enough to drink and be feeling the effects of it, then go ride and have something happen, then you can only blame yourself.. just like the guys out on unsafe ice, ice fisherman or sledders..you get what you get...

18 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

I have nothing to say other than if alcohol was a factor, then I have not much remorse for what happened..if your stupid enough to drink and be feeling the effects of it, then go ride and have something happen, then you can only blame yourself.. just like the guys out on unsafe ice, ice fisherman or sledders..you get what you get...

... except for the fact that acts of self-inflicted stupidity often affect innocent people at the wrong place/wrong time. Also, how about the first responders that have to clean up the mess.

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Perfect example of how things written or said can be taken different ways depending on the readers perspective.

Exactly... I think part of the intent of the message was that in todays world too many people refuse to accept responsibility for their own stupidity or mistakes and look to blame someone else. In our sport there is a propensity for people to do something stupid or make a mistake and then try and blame the local snowmobile club / OFSC so they can assign fault with someone else AND cash in on someone else's money to pay for their out of pocket expenses and then some.

If alcohol was a factor, then the rider should place the blame on his buddies riding with him at the time.  They should be held liable too.

4 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Exactly... I think part of the intent of the message was that in todays world too many people refuse to accept responsibility for their own stupidity or mistakes and look to blame someone else. In our sport there is a propensity for people to do something stupid or make a mistake and then try and blame the local snowmobile club / OFSC so they can assign fault with someone else AND cash in on someone else's money to pay for their out of pocket expenses and then some.

:icon_goodpost:

5 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I understood the intent of the message. I just believe that it is not a wonderful idea to provide fodder that may spur thoughts of lawsuits to the victim or his relatives and provide them with the type of details that may be of use in said lawsuits. Sometimes it is just better to think it and not write it IMHO. I'm done with this.

Isn't this the second time this has happened? I am pretty sure three or four years ago, someone did the exact same thing, same location too. 

17 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Isn't this the second time this has happened? I am pretty sure three or four years ago, someone did the exact same thing, same location too. 

I was thinking the same thing , but was not sure so I did not post anything . 

Archived