Towing With a Smaller Vehicle

revrnd

I am on my second Ridgeline and have no complaints. My first was a 2008 and the one I have now is a 2011. I find the 2011 tows better, seems to me they changed the shift pattern in the tranny, doesn't seem to lug the engine as much before down shifting. I have a 17' Wilker boat with a 90hp Honda motor, a Blaze 11' clam shell snowmobile trailer and a 3 place ATV trailer, no problem pulling any of them. As irREVerrant said, the tailgate and the trunk are great features of the truck. I'm not overly impressed with the looks of the new Ridgeline so not sure what to do when it comes time for a new vehicle.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jimbob said:

I am on my second Ridgeline and have no complaints. My first was a 2008 and the one I have now is a 2011. I find the 2011 tows better, seems to me they changed the shift pattern in the tranny, doesn't seem to lug the engine as much before down shifting. I have a 17' Wilker boat with a 90hp Honda motor, a Blaze 11' clam shell snowmobile trailer and a 3 place ATV trailer, no problem pulling any of them. As irREVerrant said, the tailgate and the trunk are great features of the truck. I'm not overly impressed with the looks of the new Ridgeline so not sure what to do when it comes time for a new vehicle.

Mine was an '08, so you may be quite right about subsequent shift pattern change in the tranny. The new ones have a 6-speed (I think), which should be even better. 

7 hours ago, irREVerent said:

I drove a Honda Ridgeline for 5 years, and really liked it for everything except towing.  Very carlike in its handling and comfort, independent rear suspension, easy to park, tons of space in the cab for 5 people and their stuff (better than many fullsize pickups), and several neat features including the dual action tailgate, weatherproof trunk under the bed...other manufacturers please copy!  And contrary to your comment above ArcticCrusher, the drivetrain (including the tranny) was typical Honda, reliable as a brick...it came with a factory-installed tranny cooler and towing package, and never gave me a bit of trouble.  (It was the Honda vans that had the transmission issues, not the Ridgelines.)  The 3.5L V6 provided lots of pep (when not towing), but I will say the fuel mileage was mediocre at best.

Our sled trailer at the time was a tandem 5 ft. X 20 ft. E & J (with electric brakes), which weighed about 1,400 lbs empty, so by the time both sleds were on board, plus some gear and the spare tire, it weighed around 2,700 lbs loaded...just over half the Ridgeline's tow rating of 5,000 lbs.  Even towing that relatively light weight, the Ridgeline would be working hard at times, especially in hilly country, and on the flat going into even a light headwind.  And the fuel mileage would be bad when towing...typically 21 or 22L/100 kms...which meant frequent stops to refill on a long trailer trip, because the tank was not nearly as big as a fullsize pickup.  So, we eventually bit the bullet and traded it on a lightly-used Chevy Avalanche, which we really enjoy. Versatile, comfortable, and a great tow vehicle for the sleds and boat.  Despite the fact it weighs about a thousand pounds more than the Ridgeline, it tows much better, with typical towing fuel mileage in the 18L/100 km range (unless towing into a really strong headwind), typical highway mileage (when not towing) of 11-13L/100 kms, and in-town mileage in the 14-15L/100 km range. 

Honda's are not made for working.

I had an 11 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 with a 4.7 V8 and it towed really good.   I wish Dodge would bring out a new Dakota.  I would own one in a heart beat.  

2 hours ago, scottyr said:

I had an 11 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 with a 4.7 V8 and it towed really good.   I wish Dodge would bring out a new Dakota.  I would own one in a heart beat.  

Mother Christmas loves her 01 Dakota . Been a great truck 

I had a pilot ex fully loaded with 3.5 v6. It was rated for 5000 ibs of towing and had 265 hp and good fuel economy, it was an 07. It did 't have that fancy shut down system, that Honda has been struggling with. 

I would consider another one if I needed 7 seats for passengers. 

I have been eying the new Eco diesel from dodge. Know one guy that has one and he loves it and gets stupid mileage even when towing a 7000 ib boat. Can get 7 litres per 100 km driving down highway empty and between 10 to 13 when towing his boat. 

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

I have been eying the new Eco diesel from dodge. Know one guy that has one and he loves it and gets stupid mileage even when towing a 7000 ib boat. Can get 7 litres per 100 km driving down highway empty and between 10 to 13 when towing his boat. 

Guy I motorcycle with had a Ridgeline for towing his bikes in a enclosed trailer. Said the fuel economy would drop by almoat 60% when towning. Since switched to an EcoDiesel he says the milage barley changes with the trailer on.

I towed my seld around on an open 5x10 utility trailer behind my Dart with no problem. Gas mileage dropped in half and 6th gear was useless, unless you where on the 401. Never had an issue stopping, not sure if the brakes are little oversized on the car or not by design.

FB_IMG_1483373120366.jpg

What I'm not happy with is my wife's Dodge Journey. 298hp all wheel drive with a factory towing package. Pulling my 800lbs 5x10 trailer down the 401 at 105km/h empty and the damn thing won't stay out of passing gear. Going to have to get out the owners manual and see if there is a trailer setting or something in the radio/vehicle controls...

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

You got me curious so I went to the Dodge website. The 3L V6  EcoDiesel is a $4700.00 option and has an 8 speed transmission. I'm not sure I could justify that kind of a premium for the fuel savings. I can buy a lot of gas for $4700.00 especially now that I'm not driving back and forth to work daily.

2 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

that is impressive

16 minutes ago, johnsazzr said:

that is impressive

And they don't sound like a Cummins ;-)

I know a couple in the village that have 1 & you wouldn't know it was a diesel when they drive by.

40 miles per gallon is very impressive for a full size pick up!

What is the diesel option cost on the Dodge?

17 minutes ago, revrnd said:

What is the diesel option cost on the Dodge?

The ecodiesel on the Ram pickup is a $4700.00 option

14 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

The ecodiesel on the Ram pickup is a $4700.00 option

Does that include an option specific transmission? The reason I ask is that w/ the Dmax, GM changes extra for the Allison. They recently had a "no cost" tranny option when buying the Dmax.

16 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Does that include an option specific transmission? The reason I ask is that w/ the Dmax, GM changes extra for the Allison. They recently had a "no cost" tranny option when buying the Dmax.

If you look at the website it says the $4700.00 Ecodiesel option includes an 8 speed transmission. A lot of money that I could use for a lot of gas. With HST $5311.00. At $1.05 / L that's 5058L.

Gas is $1.10 today.  Looks like extra $.05 carbon tax to persuade you to stay home or peddle your bicycle or drive your solar powered car.

BP

Trailer.jpg

19 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

Gas is $1.10 today.  Looks like extra $.05 carbon tax to persuade you to stay home or peddle your bicycle or drive your solar powered car.

BP

this so called carbon tax makes my blood boil

22 minutes ago, ToSlow said:

but it's for our children and grand children.... Truedope and Wynnebag said so. Reminds me of when Wynnebag said we would pay just a tiny bit more for hydro but save a lot in the long run... again for our children and grandchildren

5 hours ago, revrnd said:

And they don't sound like a Cummins ;-)

I know a couple in the village that have 1 & you wouldn't know it was a diesel when they drive by.

Are you kidding ?  You can barely tell that it's running, you'd think it was solar powered.....

5 hours ago, jrhz06 said:

40 miles per gallon is very impressive for a full size pick up!

I have a hunting friend that can vouch for that.  Ridiculous fuel mileage and it pulls his hunting camper like it wasn't even there.  He loves it.

But ditto on the fuel you can buy for the difference in price.  I pull the camper to the lake once, then pull it back once.  Travel every weekend, even if I could afford a newer truck, it wouldn't likely be a diesel, I'd end up filling it with 87 octane from habit .........

1 hour ago, Denis007 said:

Are you kidding ? I'd end up filling it with 87 octane from habit .........

That would be a very expensive mistake. LOL

6 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

BP

Gas actually went down here thanks to the carbon tax. Was $1.12 Saturday night, $1.09 today...

5 hours ago, ToSlow said:

Get use too it, all 3 party leaders here in Ontario support a tax on Carbon.

Too bad it isn't being passed back to the tax payers like in BC...

Just a slush fund for the gov't to throw down a toilet. I'll just stop @ that. I thought Ken Shaw was going to blow a gasket on the noon news today. LOL

Archived