Fuel for skidoo four stroke

Viperules700

image.jpgReading fuel cap my new 4 stroke it says basically if fuel has ethanol in it, use 91. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure most 87 & 89 octane grades sold in Ontario have ethanol. Folks have been running 91 for several years to get away from the ethanol issue. I wonder if the cap on the 2 stroke 'doos has the same warning?

my new yammy says 91 on cap

2 strokes call for 91 octane.

Doo etecs call for 91 always, for best performance.  Use 87 in your 4 stroke Doo to prevent cold start issues. Premium in a unit calling for 87 always gives me more work.

Where are you going to find that up north in the boonies ?   Good thing my Yama-Cat only wants 87 period.  Did you check before you bought it ?

BP

19 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

Where are you going to find that up north in the boonies ?   Good thing my Yama-Cat only wants 87 period.  Did you check before you bought it ?

BP

Always carry some octane boost. 

33 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Doo etecs call for 91 always, for best performance.  Use 87 in your 4 stroke Doo to prevent cold start issues. Premium in a unit calling for 87 always gives me more work.

Dealer told me to use 87 too. Didn't bother reading the cap, until I was ready to put in some fresh fuel and stabilizer. Wonder why they even put that warning on then! 

BRP told SDI owners when it was intro'd that we ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, ALWAYS had to use premium. Then after a couple of years (likely when the warranties had run out, that we could run 87 if we had to. I think a lot of us realised that w/ the knock sensor on the motor timing would be adjusted depending on the fuel being used.

8 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

image.jpgReading fuel cap my new 4 stroke it says basically if fuel has ethanol in it, use 91. 

WOW - VR700 posted a picture! What other great things may come.....? Good job.

8 hours ago, whits-end said:

Unless something has changed recently, Shell and Esso have no ethanol in 91 octane;  Petro-Can and Sunoco do.  

I have bought Esso 91 in this town that had Ethanol in it. Shell at one particular station does not have ethanol. The other Shell station either had Ethanol or just bad gas. That station has a unique contract that other shell stations don't seem to have to endure. My small engines get nothing but Shell 91 unless we are touring then you buy what you can get. By the time they are put in the barn, they get filled with Shell 91.

Happily, Costco and Drummond's (Local independent) near me have ethanol free fuel.

I have 5 big gas cans.

Apex seems to run fine on 87 if I'm unable to get real gas, but I won't let it sit in the tank.

9 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Have always ran premium in my 900 without issue........so far. What problems have you found that is caused by premium?

This topic has been discussed over and over again on Dootalk. The intent of the cap is that you use 87 unless the Ethanol content is above 10%, then they recommend 91. I do not know off any gas in Ontario with greater than a 10% ethanol content. Just always be sure to check the Ethanol percentage before filling up, it is always posted on the pump. I have used 87 only for 13,000km in my 1200 in the last 4 years, no issues. It started in -45 in Kap last year when the ETECs and Yammies wouldn't even think about turning over. I believe the full explanation regarding the Fuel is in your Owner's Manual.

I have been at gas stations where you cannot figure out which grades have ethanol or how much- they just state that it may contain up to 10%. This has been discussed a lot and what I have got out of it is that a motor tuned to run on 87 runs better on 87- higher octane will produce less power. Ethanol will not hurt as long as you do not store it for long periods. So I buy the cheap stuff during the season and store it with the good stuff and I have never had to clean my carbs and never had any fuel related problems. I do add Seafoam or Mechanic in a Bottle for storage too.

There are stations somewhere that have in excess of 10 % ethanol. We had a GM scan tool on a GMC and it showed 13% ethanol. The owner said the vehicle had never had E85 and there are few stations that sell it and none around here. We did a fuel sample and checked the scan tool against other vehicles and the scan tool was correct.

11 hours ago, whits-end said:

Unless something has changed recently, Shell and Esso have no ethanol in 91 octane;  Petro-Can and Sunoco do.  

2 hours ago, catinental couch said:

I have bought Esso 91 in this town that had Ethanol in it. Shell at one particular station does not have ethanol. The other Shell station either had Ethanol or just bad gas. That station has a unique contract that other shell stations don't seem to have to endure. My small engines get nothing but Shell 91 unless we are touring then you buy what you can get. By the time they are put in the barn, they get filled with Shell 91.

Shell for sure state 91 has none, Esso I am not so sure about.

Heard many times that smaller stations in small towns may or may not have it.....but their pumps normally do not actually say if they do or don't like 90% of the Shell stations do, so you need to ask Harpreet and hope he tells you the truth and not what you want to hear!

Generally I fill at home or a Shell station on the road before I go anywhere, than on the trails I take what I can get, Shell is usually my first choice if possible.

My sled is a 2-smoke and states 91, but I have ran a mixture or lower grade fuel on trips and rides, and no issues yet.....but I no longer hold her WOT anymore either!

Never heard about start up issues on Doo's or other 4-strokes if you use higher octane fuel than suggested

23 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

My Cat has never had starting issues and the only time it gets anything other than 91 is when touring. I have tested the 91 in every station in this town and there is only one that is consistant.

You have tested 91 gas at Shell stations that state there is no E-gas and there is some in the gas?

Interesting...

11 hours ago, whits-end said:

Lots has changed.

Sunoco doesnt exist on Ontario anymore.

Esso 91 definitely has ethanol.

Shell 91 still is ethanol free.

Filled up last week at an Ultramar and noticed 91 didn't mention ethanol, but 87 and 89 did.  Will have to investigate further.

Suncor owns Petrocan, any Sunoco stations were rebranded to Petrocan after the merger.

I recall the high octane Sunoco blends openly advertising the ethanol amounts on the pumps. This was before the province mandated the blends.

Endicott Fuels in Ptbo, an Ultramar fuel distributor sells ethanol free 91. I used to purchase my premium there until I knew the Shell in Apsley had ethanol free fuel. Saved the PITA of lugging 5 gallon cans back & forth to Oshawa.

Is E85 sold anywhere in Ontario?

50 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

Yes at one in particular so the gas they are selling not always comes from Shell.

Do you mind telling the listeners the gas station in question that states no e-gas in 91, but in actual fact there is?

Archived