Buying a sled from Quebec

signfan

Looking at some used sleds across the provincial border. What's involved in bringing to Ontario? Do I pay sales tax here or there? Do I have to notify the Quebec gov't I'm registering the sled in Ontario? Any surprises or additional costs I should worry about? How do I search in Quebec to ensure the sled doesn't have any liens against it?

Looking at some used sleds across the provincial border. What's involved in bringing to Ontario? Do I pay sales tax here or there? Do I have to notify the Quebec gov't I'm registering the sled in Ontario? Any surprises or additional costs I should worry about? How do I search in Quebec to ensure the sled doesn't have any liens against it?

Buying  privately or from a dealer?

taxes would be paid when you register the sled in Ont.

Can't help you with lien searching in QC, but this site http://app.cpic-cipc.ca/English/searchformvin.cfm can help with stolen sleds/cars/Atvs

Just be careful, since Quebec has a large fleet of rental sleds. I have heard cases of people buying them cheap, reprogramming the odometers and re selling them for a good dollar.

Not sure. Just looking at my options. Does it matter?

One  of the guys on our yearly trip bought a new sled in Amos this past spring. The dealer there collected the federal part of the HST (5%) and he paid the PST portion when he registered it in Ontario.

If I was buying privately in Quebec I wouldn't be giving the seller any tax but would get a signed off registration and a detailed invoice (sales receipt) from the seller marked paid in full and signed.

Just be careful, since Quebec has a large fleet of rental sleds. I have heard cases of people buying them cheap, reprogramming the odometers and re selling them for a good dollar.

Exactly, "low mileage" year old sleds w/ a lot of wear on them. They used to show up @ the used sled corral during the T.O. sled show.

Not on a Doo ..... can't be done.  

They can re program anything!

I've seen a few of these high miler rental units. If the price is right is there anything wrong with a rental unit?

No way to tell if it has been damaged. Rental fleets fix their own and don't use insurance.

No insurance....???

They have insurance, but they always charge the renter for the damages and have it fixed without claiming insurance. Therefore there never is a paper trail for the repair. Same thing happens on vehicles too.

Bought my Yamaha Apex in Quebec.

No issues. Well kept sled that only saw properly maintained trails.

By comparison, the local offerings were more $$ and more banged up, with less mileage. My next sled will come from Quebec too.

YMMV, Caveat emptor, etc.

A&K Recreation used to bring in truck loads of Quebec sleds that were bought from a couple of resorts who rented them only for guided tours and didn't let the renter take off and do stupid things on their own. He gave me the name of the resorts that he bought their inventory from and I checked at the time both by calling them and checking their website for rentals and confirmed they only did guided tours aimed at beginners. End result a bunch of excellent condition sleds that had been used regularly but not abused.

My wife's last sled, a Skidoo Legend 1000 4 stroke came from Quebec and we had lots of worry free use out of it. It was in great condition and spotless under the cowling.

Lol. VR700 typically knows more then the rest of us so just listen to him.

Yes Quebec sleds can be high milage but I've never seen anyone take as good care as some of the Frenchman do to their sleds.

sled depot seems to sell a lot of sleds from Quebec, bought one years ago from them that came from Quebec and had no issues with it or them. If someone is going to wind a speedo back they are going to regardless of where it comes from.

They have insurance, but they always charge the renter for the damages and have it fixed without claiming insurance. Therefore there never is a paper trail for the repair. Same thing happens on vehicles too.

We are in the Rental business. We cannot purchase insurance for rentals outside of liability coverage.

We are in the Rental business. We cannot purchase insurance for rentals outside of liability coverage.

Is it too expensive, not available?

Yup, buddy of mine looked at one few years back.. when you started it the display flashed oh-uh.

Yes to number 1 the premium is the value of the machine

Wow that is crazy.

A&K Recreation used to bring in truck loads of Quebec sleds that were bought from a couple of resorts who rented them only for guided tours and didn't let the renter take off and do stupid things on their own. He gave me the name of the resorts that he bought their inventory from and I checked at the time both by calling them and checking their website for rentals and confirmed they only did guided tours aimed at beginners. End result a bunch of excellent condition sleds that had been used regularly but not abused.

My wife's last sled, a Skidoo Legend 1000 4 stroke came from Quebec and we had lots of worry free use out of it. It was in great condition and spotless under the cowling.

I seem to remember seeing a bunch of used 'doos @ Coffey's back in the 90s. Pretty sure most of them had PQ dealer stickers on them.

What is the paper trail like for sleds over there? I recall asking a dealer staffer years ago why I saw so many "wrecked" cars on transports heading to Quebec. He said they didn't have "branding" on the ownerships, so body shops would rebuild them & sell them as used cars.

As an aside, I wonder how many "new" cars will hit the used car market in the US w/ the flooding in Louisiana?

Archived