WOWSERS! Lots of idiots

sledzz

Was riding Sudbury area last Friday and Saturday. Had 3 close calls in two days. 

I was right on the outside of a corner on one turn, and the joker was still drifting towards me, I had to veer off the trail and blow through some saplings. Thank god it was a open meadow area and not a forest.

The trails had a beauty 8" matt of packed snow on them so the front ends were drifting a bit and not sticking. So many people don't factor that in, and still insist carrying huge speed on the trails. 120-130 kph closure on  9' wide trail is not cool.

I drove like an old woman on Saturday cause it just wasn't worth the risk given the traffic moving around.

I had one guy in an old ski doo rip around a corner and after having seen me still insisted on passing extremely close despite me being on the edge of my side. I reached out with my hand and wacked his helmet. He was tail end  in a group so I knew he was coming and was expecting him, I was slowed right down. But the jerk still kept coming.

MS

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last weekend was busy on trails, so I met a couple pilots, but most sleders was driving according with trail and traffic condition.

Ditto

Maybe we need a "Riding Buddies" Forum category

I like that idea .. always looking for people to ride with.

I feel the idiot factor continues to rise each year.....whats peoples feeling on the cause?..my feeling is sleds continue to be more fast,powerful and when in the hands of idiots, well you know....secondly riders that lack an understanding of sledding as a whole...how their actions affect us all...seems to be the sign of the times...have taught high risk youth for 30 years and have seen over the last 15 years a drastic change in attitudes...little respect and everything is ME ME ME and no ability to accept consequences for their actions......most times parents are worse than the kids...

When you watch the manufacturer's TV ads, SnowTrax or Snowmobiler TV you constantly see snowmobiles pushed to the limit, whether it be jumping, on the trails or off trails.

Look at the HP of some of the new sleds.

Everyone is being conditioned to go fast and ride on the edge in these shows and ads.

It is no wonder a larger proportion of sledders are copying these riding styles.

In my opinion, when you get a group of 5 or more sleds, this behavior is even more amplified with everyone trying to show the other guy how "on the edge" they can ride.

The future of riding in the Northern Corridor:  all the trails down south are closed and the bazillion azzhats you talk about decide that they ALL want to experience the Northern Corridor Adventure for themselves....

If only there was a way of keeping them all between Cochrane and Smooth Rock Falls.......hmmmmm.

:unsure:

When you watch the manufacturer's TV ads, SnowTrax or Snowmobiler TV you constantly see snowmobiles pushed to the limit, whether it be jumping, on the trails or off trails.

Look at the HP of some of the new sleds.

Everyone is being conditioned to go fast and ride on the edge in these shows and ads.

It is no wonder a larger proportion of sledders are copying these riding styles.

In my opinion, when you get a group of 5 or more sleds, this behavior is even more exemplified with everyone trying to show the other guy how "on the edge" they can ride.

Exactly... monkey see monkey do. I saw it on TV or Facebook or YouTube so it must be the way things are.

The future of riding in the Northern Corridor:  all the trails down south are closed and the bazillion azzhats you talk about decide that they ALL want to experience the Northern Corridor Adventure for themselves....

If only there was a way of keeping them all between Cochrane and Smooth Rock Falls.......hmmmmm.

:unsure:

I don't think the Corridor will be overrun by idgits from the GTA, too far to drive. Around our area Sat' is busy while Sun' is quiet. My theory is the idgits ride like maniacs all day Sat' then have to be home to the wife or g/f for Sat' night. Trying to put as many miles on in a short period of time.

I don't think the Corridor will be overrun by idgits from the GTA, too far to drive. Around our area Sat' is busy while Sun' is quiet. My theory is the idgits ride like maniacs all day Sat' then have to be home to the wife or g/f for Sat' night. Trying to put as many miles on in a short period of time.

The sense I get is they ride the heck out of the trails all day Saturday, then party with the guys they rode with into the wee hours of the morning and then sleep until 10 or 11. after that it's load up and drive home.

The sense I get is they ride the heck out of the trails all day Saturday, then party with the guys they rode with into the wee hours of the morning and then sleep until 10 or 11. after that it's load up and drive home.

I was thinking of that too if they're @ a cottage. Spend Sat' watching the hockey. We see a lot of sled trailers heading south Sunday during the midday hours.

My theory is from being on TOP E NW of Coe Hill late in the afternoon & meeting all the eastbound sledders racing to get back to the railbed for the ride back south.

I plan on doing a bunch of that next year. Just need to find some other retired folks in the area to ride with. Not real keen on riding solo mid week when there is nobody around if you get stuck or break down. In our area we have a group that call themselves the Wednesday Wanderers and some of them are guys that made the first trails in our area. They even know places to go that aren't trails but are legal. Turn right at the third pine tree on the right with the broken branch. I don't know how they do it.

We only ride during the week anymore.  Too many close calls over the years on the weekends.  But, that doesn't mean that all of you should do it also.  LOL  We really like the trails to ourselves!!!!

You are more than welcome to join us.  We ride D8, D9 and D7 when weather permits

We only ride during the week anymore.  Too many close calls over the years on the weekends.  But, that doesn't mean that all of you should do it also.  LOL  We really like the trails to ourselves!!!!

You are more than welcome to join us.  We ride D8, D9 and D7 when weather permits

We will have to do a trip next year for sure and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the season will start mid Dec and run into late March. Normally we ride from Port Severn but can trailer especially if it is a follow the snow season like this one was. Next season will include a bunch of mid week for sure.

They are in no hurry to go out on Sunday because the trails are too rough. But it wasn't them that trashed the trails, it was all the boneheads that can sit on their seat because they aren't carrying a back pack.

Or they still have a headache which has to be caused by alcohol because it sure as heck can't be from the loud exhaust buzzing all day.

I had seen enough nonsense on Saturday to fill an entire good season, and it really makes me consider not being out there period.  

They are in no hurry to go out on Sunday because the trails are too rough. But it wasn't them that trashed the trails, it was all the boneheads that can sit on their seat because they aren't carrying a back pack.

Or they still have a headache which has to be caused by alcohol because it sure as heck can't be from the loud exhaust buzzing all day.

I had seen enough nonsense on Saturday to fill an entire good season, and it really makes me consider not being out there period.

Your backpack is that big that you can't sit down? Usually the groomers are out Saturday night where I ride and Sunday they're all ready for another fine day. Myself, I'd rather avoid the headache get to bed at a reasonable time and have a second day of riding. After all that's what I'm there for.

Typically the trails are trashed by those that go from a standstill to full throttle digging nice holes as they go or just hammering the throttle enough to dig a hole, back off and repeat.

I ride with a backpack on over night stays instead of saddle bags. Also I ride standing up in the whoops sometimes for a break on the back. So would I be considered an "azzhat" ? Doubt it. Just saying. If you seen me riding like that your first impression is already wrong of me. But I do understand and see the ones you are speaking of.

I ride with a backpack .... Also I ride standing up in the whoops sometimes for a break on the back. So would I be considered an "azzhat" ? Doubt it. Just saying. If you seen me riding like that your first impression is already wrong of me. But I do understand and see the ones you are speaking of.

Signed,

Blown Corner :-P

Just kidding. You make a good point. Tough to get an accurate first impression in a split second, in a corner.

Happy trails. Until next year.

Blown Corner - sorry my bad, painting with broad strokes. My attempt at a little humour.

02 Sled - I know what happens to the trails. I have witnessed it from the comfort of the groomer seat. Guys almost run over the back of the drag to get on the fresh groomed trail. Most of them don't even wait to get out of sight to hammer on the flipper and rip it all up. What they might not realize is that one trail that takes  2 1/2 - 3 hours to groom both sides, it takes a sled all of 20 minutes to cover. Add in the sleds that now come standard with 1.25 inch lug tracks, the first pass of the groomer is sometimes unrecognizable.

I guess I am a little frustrated (as many are) with the way the season went and it seemed almost every sled I had seen this weekend had to try to get those miles on, regardless of others on the trail or who put in the work into the system in the first place.

Blown Corner - sorry my bad, painting with broad strokes. My attempt at a little humour.

02 Sled - I know what happens to the trails. I have witnessed it from the comfort of the groomer seat. Guys almost run over the back of the drag to get on the fresh groomed trail. Most of them don't even wait to get out of sight to hammer on the flipper and rip it all up. What they might not realize is that one trail that takes  2 1/2 - 3 hours to groom both sides, it takes a sled all of 20 minutes to cover. Add in the sleds that now come standard with 1.25 inch lug tracks, the first pass of the groomer is sometimes unrecognizable.

I guess I am a little frustrated (as many are) with the way the season went and it seemed almost every sled I had seen this weekend had to try to get those miles on, regardless of others on the trail or who put in the work into the system in the first place.

So true.

I went to Elliot lake area mid week. Seen 7 sleds on the trails in 3 days of riding! I ran into one rider at a lunch stop and he told me trails were very busy Sudbury way. Seems no one wants to drive the extra two hours east and EL doesn't have many places to stay, so traffic stays away. Not one idiot encounter up there. Will go back in a heart beat, since it is same distance as new liskard for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Big Paddle Backpack Buffoon Boys!

Big Paddle Backpack Buffoon Boys!

They would've been drooling on the conveyor belt on the 2017 Summit.

The demographic is the leading cause of risk taking on the trail. Men looking for the thrill of speed and forgetting what the outcome may be. We would lose half the riders on trails if we were actually forced to ride the speed limit. Guys buy 160hp sleds because the are powerful,pull hard and are fast. Let's face it for many riding on the edge of control is fun, it is thrilling, it is why they are out there. Blaming TV for the behaviour of a 45 year old adult is a cop out.

The demographic is the leading cause of risk taking on the trail. Men looking for the thrill of speed and forgetting what the outcome may be. We would lose half the riders on trails if we were actually forced to ride the speed limit. Guys buy 160hp sleds because the are powerful,pull hard and are fast. Let's face it for many riding on the edge of control is fun, it is thrilling, it is why they are out there. Blaming TV for the behaviour of a 45 year old adult is a cop out.

I agree with that to the extent that the rider is in control.  When you start pushing the envelope is when it gets dangerous for you and for others.  But I do agree that blaming ANYONE else for YOUR actions is a cop out!!!!

I've got absolutely no problem with someone givin' er on the trail... within the rules of the game ... Stay on your side, signal like you're supposed to, don't damage the trails.  All but maybe a few of you have seen me ride hard, it's a very addictive game to play, but I Always remember the simple rules, the ones that keep you alive for the most part.  Yes, I ride real hard in the corners, always on the right side, but not to the limits of my abilities, 'cause stuff happens.  Always a little margin for error.  And mostly watching for "the other guy" who's likely to screw up my fun......

Archived