Feb 3-6 2016 Northern Corridor Du Nord Ride

Turbo Doo

Leaving Timmins which will be close to the same conditions. Probably the Canyon Tue and just Boondocking Mon and see what Wed brings. I pulled the ice scratchers off my sled. Just wanted to make sure I don't need them.

Thx

RR

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leaving Timmins which will be close to the same conditions. Probably the Canyon Tue and just Boondocking Mon and see what Wed brings. I pulled the ice scratchers off my sled. Just wanted to make sure I don't need them.

Thx

RR

Take them. Cold up there next week and if they groom they will be rock hard. You're gonna have the sewing machine just wined out up the canyon loop lol. You camping out up there?

The whole menagerie dined at the Companion this evening.

IQ Turbo and The Dutchman need to return to The Westway in Cochrane tomorrow, so the rest of the group will accompany them east to varying degrees, leaving Hearst around 930. Some of us will go east only as far as Mattice, then we'll be shown around the local Hearst trails by Denis and Doris. Should be another great day.

There's a chip truck or you could eat at the Hospital. Not much choices.

quote name="snowgirl" post="210212" timestamp="1454677570"]

We will be riding from Hearst to Dubreuilville on Monday. If this place ain't open for lunch, anywhere else we can stop for lunch in Hornepayne?

There's a chip truck or you could eat at the Hospital. Not much choices.

quote name="snowgirl" post="210212" timestamp="1454677570"]

We will be riding from Hearst to Dubreuilville on Monday. If this place ain't open for lunch, anywhere else we can stop for lunch in Hornepayne?

Nope uncles is closed. There is an esso station you can get a coffee and muffin sort of thing. It is a nice place.

There is an esso station you can get a coffee and muffin sort of thing. It is a nice place.

Good point. I dropped in there today and was impressed with how clean and modern it was. OK for grabbing a cold drink or sandwich, etc. Typical convenience store fare, in a smallish very clean establishment. And gas available, of course!

Thx

RR

Hey RR if you decide to ride towards Temagami let me know.  We are going to stay in Bonfield due to the conditions.  GOOD!!!!! and we are planning on running north from there on Wednesday and Thursday

Thanks for the Hornepayne info. It'll prob be snacks at the gas station, and we will keep on going to Dub.

Nope uncles is closed. There is an esso station you can get a coffee and muffin sort of thing. It is a nice place.

Ditto.  The Esso is REALLY a nice but very small gas station, but they're super-courteous and you can make microwave hot sandwiches etc.  We stopped there mid-April on our last ride and were super impressed.

Had a great ride, and trails were very good except for a 10km section North of the Big Hill heading to Hornepayne... it was a mogul-fest for a while, my shoulders are beat this morning.  With the exception of one rider having an oops, and our half of the group not finding Uncle's (my fault) it was a good day.  Awesome soup at Uncle's, they were super nice and even if the place is not very modern, it does the job.  I'd go there again if they were open.

Coupla pics ....

WhiteDragon, Nunz, Dragon Lily, Doris26 and a couple of others that my bad memory can't recall .... I'll get 'em .....  Sure wish I was on the rich side, I'd contribute some siding to the poor shack.  It does the job, but it's ugly-ish ... lol !

12513667_961745453894856_398796771240447

Half the group at the warm-up shack .... the other half went with one of the group that was low on fuel and got gas from an MTO (?) worker .... made it to 'payne ....

12633548_961745487228186_322219965628479

Doris26 and DragonLily .... 

12694799_961745417228193_210821728791147

Fire242 after a pee ..... nice XRS ....

12698374_961745290561539_434914091177052

Group sleds at Uncle's ....

12512321_961745657228169_501993854259596

Unfortunately, I only made it to Uncle's after doing my Blake impression.  I got sucked off the trail by the soft snow and then, while trying to power through, the sled tipped off of the covered log or rock and launched me about 20 feet onto some rather rough ground (logs?).

Spent today getting checked out at the local hospital, and it is just soft tissue injuries, thankfully.  Feel much better today than last night.

Unfortunately, I only made it to Uncle's after doing my Blake impression.  I got sucked off the trail by the soft snow and then, while trying to power through, the sled tipped off of the covered log or rock and launched me about 20 feet onto some rather rough ground (logs?).

Spent today getting checked out at the local hospital, and it is just soft tissue injuries, thankfully.  Feel much better today than last night.

Glad you are okay... the first thing that came to mind was the old phrase Monkey see monkey doo when you said the Blake impression.

Your turn to hang around and guard the fort.

Glad your okay SJ.  I know you just had to do one better than Blake.  You guys are too competitive.  Take it easy and get better quick!!

Good to here your ok SJ. I would have felt worse the next day not better. Any damage to the electronics.

I would be internally grateful for a little info.  We have a couples group doing a Northern Corridor tour from Cochrane on Tuesday Feb 16th.  Cochrane to Hearst; Hearst to Dube,  We were thinking of day-tripping for lunch down to Wawa, then back to Dube for a second night. Then returning to Cochrane via Hearst again.

Does Wawa sound like a plan?  Plan B would be to forget Wawa; return to Cochrane, and spend a day day-tripping there.  One of our party has not been to the canyon, so that's a possibility.

What think yee?

post-22473-0-25806900-1454802145_thumb.jpg

Kneeling in the snow: Young Carter, Mrs iREVerent, Denis Jr., DragonLily, Amendola2001

Standing: Mike37, Fire242, Bill the Magician, iREVerent, IQ Turbo, The Dutchman, Nunz, Doris26, White Dragon, Mrs Nunz, Denis07 

Guarding the fort: Sledjunk, Doris Jr., Emily G

Photographer: Blake G

Many thanks to Denis07 for leading today's ride, and to his whole family for welcoming us all to Hearst ! !

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used up half a roll of film, trying to get them to stand still for a minute.

RAM, a long time OCer, came over this morning and introduced himself to our group.

You never know when you're going to bump into a Forum Friend!

post-22473-0-91141700-1454803883_thumb.jpg

Herd of Turtles at the Companion Inn this morning.

post-22473-0-23423800-1454803912_thumb.jpg

Scheduled start was 9:30, but WD's crew showed up about 9:40.

Apparently Bill stayed up too late last night doing route planning.

post-22473-0-53285000-1454803934_thumb.jpg

I would be internally grateful for a little info.  We have a couples group doing a Northern Corridor tour from Cochrane on Tuesday Feb 16th.  Cochrane to Hearst; Hearst to Dube,  We were thinking of day-tripping for lunch down to Wawa, then back to Dube for a second night. Then returning to Cochrane via Hearst again.

Does Wawa sound like a plan?  Plan B would be to forget Wawa; return to Cochrane, and spend a day day-tripping there.  One of our party has not been to the canyon, so that's a possibility.

What think yee?

that is a good plan, dub to wawa is a great place to day ride, many local attractions to see. look outs, waterfalls, ect... you can loop around, trails down, magpie river back or vise versa. or you could call ernie at missanabbi and go there, if you didn't want to go to wawa. if you venture to hawk junction, be fore warned, the big bear resto/bar is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.  

sorry we missed this trip, looks like the oc gang is having fun. go figure, we decided to come up next week instead... and now they are forecasting brutally cold temps for next weekend. my luck.

hope you hel up fast SJ.

Ski

Epic adventure with a fantastic group of Sledders. I am not ready to leave. Trails are awesome. A other big thanks to Dennis and Doris for being amazing hosts for dinner tonight and inviting all is crazy OCer's over for a night cap. Had a blast and hope to ride another OCer group ride soon :)

Gonna give it a little try in the morning.  Not going to push it though.  I must say that I think the TekVest saved me from serious injuries.

It didn't help IQ Turbo or the Flying Dutchman much though when I didn't respond to their calls at first (winded).

Extreme600, I am not sure that I outdid Blake, but he can gladly have the title!

Gonna give it a little try in the morning. Not going to push it though. I must say that I think the TekVest saved me from serious injuries.

It didn't help IQ Turbo or the Flying Dutchman much though when I didn't respond to their calls at first (winded).

Extreme600, I am not sure that I outdid Blake, but he can gladly have the title!

Glad you are ok! Lucky the yamaha never landed on top of you. That is always my worst fear. I had a sled land on my leg when I was 16. Went up a dift and launched sled straight up, came back down on my leg with the sled side ways. That saved my life, since it had a arises track and would have tore me to pieces. Those tekvest are worth every penny. See you on the snow!

Archived