New Year's Day: Whitney vs Baysville?

Blake G

One could still park in Madawaska and sled both directions, if so inclined, just in case the puddle doesn't drain as expected....

If you look very closely at post # 21 showing a sled stuck in the water, you may be able to detect that the rider was the local club president and district governor. She was not very impressed with getting stuck in her own club's puddle. People were skipping over the water today, and I guess she decided to test things by going really slowly to see just how deep the water was. The water seemed to be about two feet deep in the west half, and less than a foot in the east half.

Glad to hear they have taken the necessary measures to solve the problem.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Blake, do you know if there are any places around Gravenhust or Bracebridge to ride this weekend? I am coming up tomorrow morning with a buddy and we hope to find at least a little bit of riding. Wit the squall today, I'm sure we will be able to find something decent.

Carmen

I saw only two sleds this morning between Whitney and Barry's Bay, one of which was the new Grand Touring with Dave and Tess.

9:45 a.m., heading east from Whitney.

post-22473-0-79369300-1451688271_thumb.jpg

Popular photo site on the Madawaska River about ten minutes east of Whitney.

post-22473-0-40719200-1451688299_thumb.jpg

Lookout just off Trail 159.

post-22473-0-97105600-1451688390_thumb.jpg

Nice view coming down from lookout.

post-22473-0-59555400-1451688326_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info.

That's the spot. We turned back. It looks like perhaps someone else should have. Hope all's okay. Will be going out tomorrow to the 159 and doing that loop. Never been to the look out.

Hey Blake, do you know if there are any places around Gravenhust or Bracebridge to ride this weekend? I am coming up tomorrow morning with a buddy and we hope to find at least a little bit of riding. Wit the squall today, I'm sure we will be able to find something decent.

Carmen

pm sent

I didn't receive a PM from you Blake.

Carmen

That's the spot. We turned back. It looks like perhaps someone else should have. Hope all's okay. Will be going out tomorrow to the 159 and doing that loop. Never been to the look out.

Love the lookout!!!  Great spot to have a fire if your so inclined too.  Can take a great pic if you park the sled right close to the edge.  I absolutely love that area.  Oh ya i love Spectacle lake lodge as well can't wait to go there this winter again.  Cheers and have fun.

We rode the road both ways. Lots of snow!

I didn't receive a PM from you Blake.

Carmen

lost in the ozone, I guess. I have sent you another one.....

You likely said the same about Skidoo when you went from the Formula Z to the Viper cause I remember you bragging up the Viper a lot.

The viper was a great sled. It was fairly light weight for the time, had lots of power, amazing on fuel and sipped oil (cheap stuff). Weak spot was the proaction suspension. Was a nightmare to work on and rode like a rock out of the box. I changed the shocks out when yammie offered the upgraded marshmallow shocks for 300. That made a huge difference. Yammie really stepped up to the plate there. The viper was ahead of skidoo in everything except ride quality for the time. Put 17600 kms on that thing, never misses a riding day, no clutch work, nothing but a broken power valve cable and a few belts and plugs.

Love the lookout!!! Great spot to have a fire if your so inclined too. Can take a great pic if you park the sled right close to the edge.

Saw a family having their New Year's hot dog feast in the shelter at the lookout!

post-22473-0-47927900-1451701480_thumb.jpg

Blake spectacle lake was not frozen yet was it?? I'm assuming you had to use the road to get back to the trail!!

Definitely not frozen. Same with most lakes that I saw. Pure water.

Did you stop for a hot dog as well?? LOL!!! Absolutely love that area!!!

No, but I definitely took note of the site for future reference. Sometimes the best stuff is just off the beaten path.

The viper was a great sled. It was fairly light weight for the time, had lots of power, amazing on fuel and sipped oil (cheap stuff). Weak spot was the proaction suspension. Was a nightmare to work on and rode like a rock out of the box. I changed the shocks out when yammie offered the upgraded marshmallow shocks for 300. That made a huge difference. Yammie really stepped up to the plate there. The viper was ahead of skidoo in everything except ride quality for the time. Put 17600 kms on that thing, never misses a riding day, no clutch work, nothing but a broken power valve cable and a few belts and plugs.

So unless you've ridden 2012 or newer Yamaha's any distance, you have no basis for a fair comparison to your Doo. Comparing a 2012 to your old Viper isn't a fair brand to brand comparison.

I guess it's too late for us to nominate Blake for the "North America's Top Sledder" contest, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0

Here we were yesterday afternoon, pulling the club president/district governor out of the Madawaska water hole.

Apparently the water problem has been resolved.

post-22473-0-81092300-1451759580_thumb.jpg

That's a nice little puddle.

Came thru there today, no. Issue

Archived