Sled Lift

volunteer2

Does the Mar -lift use a boat winch? We copied 1 that used the winch rather than the tongue jack a few years ago. Not the best design IMO. There is a lot of "forward tension" when the lift is going up. The winch frame started to bend when we were going to work on a Grand Touring. I think the tongue jack is stronger.

I have one that lifted all the sleds that I worked on for years it is still ok . Yes it has a moment of heavy tension but even lifted Yamies no problem 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had one like Royal sells and found it OK, but would not have run the engine or spun the track on it.  I found that the sled was stable but the lift tended to 'sway' if there was any slight side pressure on the sled.

Also, my new lift raises the sled about another 6 inches higher and I can roll it around on the lift at any height including at full lift.

What don't you like about the royal one?

I haven't seen it but wanted to use up some gift cards to get it.

We use to have a marlift at the shop and I though it was ok....Nothing exceptional

One friend has the Royal lift and says it's tippy. The return policy at Princess is very good so I think it's worth a shot.  I was looking at the video Sled Junk posted and I am a little concerned about how much room I will have to get under the bellypan for the drain plug. The Mar Lift uses a break winch. It works good.  The Mar Lift we used last year needed a piece of 2x4 under the running boards and was stable. Still will be looking at show.

The only issue that I have to change the oil is that the front lifting bar presses on the skid plate, so the bolts for that have to be dropped before lifting.  I am doing oil changes on Yamaha Vectors so I don't know the location of access panels, etc on other makes.

• 1 month later...

Why not just use a heavy duty suv jack and safety stands. Works for me! I guess I am abit of a red neck sort to speak.

on a side note... this week Princess Auto has track jacks on sale for $48

post-21351-0-68877600-1447798564_thumb.jpg

Come on. I can't believe there's no responses to that one!

I picked one up at Royal few weeks back. They have a floor model to look at.

I'm sure it will work fine.

Hahaha my butt hurts already!

I bought one years ago and it continues to work well.

I bought one years ago and it continues to work well.

I have two but the older more sturdy model. Everytime I sell a sled the guy wanted me to throw in the stand. That plate will come in handy. Work great for throwing a sled in reverse to clear out ice and warm up drive belt. Can throw it in the trailer and use it in the morning.

I'm a 3 minute drive from MAR. Definitely high quality product, their utility trailers can't be beat either.

Best part about a visit, is seeing their legendary auto restorations.

Majestic Auto Restorations  is where "MAR" comes from. I think they build docks, trailers, and sled lifts to keep the guys busy between stages, or projects.

That said, my Apex Attak is up on a P.A. lift right now. Got it for $100 new, taxes in. It's not perfect, but beats using my ATV/Bike hydraulic lift, or a sore back.

If I was using a lift every day, I'd get something better.

I did get the PA unit on sale   Thanks apeXMAN  Had the flyer but hadn't looked at it. Handles the 900 ACE TnT decent.  The "posts" that go at the back under the running boards need to be extended. We have a plan for that. There is sway at the rear so will weld an extra brace there. Doing that will not allow it to lay flat so will double check. Since it was on sale prob worth doing this stuff.

I did get the PA unit on sale   Thanks apeXMAN  Had the flyer but hadn't looked at it. Handles the 900 ACE TnT decent.  The "posts" that go at the back under the running boards need to be extended. We have a plan for that. There is sway at the rear so will weld an extra brace there. Doing that will not allow it to lay flat so will double check. Since it was on sale prob worth doing this stuff.

I would look at a way of bracing the back where the brace is removable, ie bolt or 'clip' on from the front or rear so that it can be attached once the sled is in the air and removed so that the lift can collapse completely and you can remove it from under the sled easily.

I had a stand that was similar in design, if not the same, and was planning this same modification.  JMO

You could weld a nut on both sides and use a piece of 1 X 1 tubing to bridge the two.  A quick bolt on solution?

What are you expecting?

Finally got the sled off the trailer today

got to try my new lift from Royal

it works just fine for my hefty 4-stroker LT

didn't install the wheel kit yet but its prenty sturdy enough

nice got to get the sled ready

post-22374-0-87759400-1448848623_thumb.jpg

post-22374-0-34527400-1448848647_thumb.jpg

I have the lift from Royal. I have the casters on it and I can move the lifted sled around the shop.

After using it a half dozen times, the jack snapped internally and dropped my sled back to the floor. No damage but scared the crap out of me. I had a friend fix it with a much heavier rod. Other than that, it works Ok. Accessing some drain plugs is tough and putting a pan under the drain hole is next to impossible.

A lot of the time I use a version of what Viperrules mentioned. I use a 3 ton floor jack to lift the sled and then I place milk crates under the skis. I have a rachet strap attached to a 4x4 that sits across my garage door tracks to lift the rear.

• 11 months later...

Does anybody have any new thoughts or opinions on this topic.  I would like a good lift but the J&S seems a little pricey.

The J & S is more money, for sure.  But once the sled is up, it does not shake or sway like the ZZ Lift that I had previously.  I would never have run the engine or spun the track on the other.  It was just too scary IMO.

The hydraulic lift has safety bars with stops at 4 positions, and with the air powered one, it is a piece of cake to raise and lower the sled.

On 2015-11-17 at 5:25 PM, Viperules700 said:

Hahaha my butt hurts already!

you are using your lift incorrectly

Archived