A picture for my Polaris friends

Re:Leaf

MTO has weird definitions. The 3 wheeled cars are being called three wheeled vehicles and the 3 wheeled motorcycles are being called motor tricycles. Motor tricycles are street legal with an M license, actually a modified M also works, which is why the Spyder and Harley trikes are legal. The 3 wheeler cars are classified differently and they are proposing that the operator would need both a G and M license. Trust the government to make things confusing and complicated.

My guess is Polaris is calling thier a car, to get away from places like Ontario who require a class M license. It would make them harder too sell or even let test drive, as so few people hold a class M.

post-22473-0-88138500-1445056049_thumb.jpg

My guess is Polaris is calling thier a car, to get away from places like Ontario who require a class M license. It would make them harder too sell or even let test drive, as so few people hold a class M.

The manufacturer doesn't get to make that call. The jurisdiction decides. In our case here, of course, that's MTO. BRP learned this the hard way when they released the the Spyder thinking it would be classed as a three-wheeled vehicle (based on their Quebec experience) and could be driven with a G licence. The MTO said Nope - you straddle it and it has handlebars so it's a bike which means M-class or modified M licence. And a completely different marketing strategy with lower sales targets = higher costs/lower margins. I bet there were some loud Boardroom discussions when that happened. 

The manufacturer doesn't get to make that call. The jurisdiction decides. In our case here, of course, that's MTO. BRP learned this the hard way when they released the the Spyder thinking it would be classed as a three-wheeled vehicle (based on their Quebec experience) and could be driven with a G licence. The MTO said Nope - you straddle it and it has handlebars so it's a bike which means M-class or modified M licence. And a completely different marketing strategy with lower sales targets = higher costs/lower margins. I bet there were some loud Boardroom discussions when that happened. 

I have to agree with the MTO on this one though 

those Polaris riders have a good sense of humor post-21237-0-84803100-1445268069_thumb.jpg    

Here you go guys, I think this message was left for someone here on the forum...lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEk7MtBUQ6c

I've been trying to figure that out today .. Very weird lol

how did you get STG,s voice mail?

Here you go guys, I think this message was left for someone here on the forum...lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEk7MtBUQ6c

Too funny!

(intererstingly, that clip led into another. Johhnny Carson with Buddy Hackett. Comedy starts at 1:30.)

• 7 months later...

We have a couple of them around Sudbury now.

They've been pushing them here for a while. Actually sat in one when I was picking up a buddy tank for Ian. I can see a market for them, but not at the list price. Maybe I'm just old and out of touch.

They tried to get me to take a test drive, but it was pretty hot and sunny out, and I already was in need of some Pam, and a spatula to get myself off the plastic seat.

G license, but you need a helmet.

Unless you're a Sikh.

They've been pushing them here for a while. Actually sat in one when I was picking up a buddy tank for Ian. I can see a market for them, but not at the list price. Maybe I'm just old and out of touch.

They tried to get me to take a test drive, but it was pretty hot and sunny out, and I already was in need of some Pam, and a spatula to get myself off the plastic seat.

G license, but you need a helmet.

Unless you're a Sikh.

Last I heard was that the Brampton Sikh who challenged the need for a helmet on a motorcycle in court lost on the basis that driving any vehicle in Ontario is a privilege and not a right

Here are some pictures I took on the 401 west bound just west of 97.  In Ontario with no helmet.  Could be an out of province plate.

post-22018-0-16394600-1466297096_thumb.jpgpost-22018-0-25072600-1466297119_thumb.jpg

BP

out of province or not, still need to comply with local laws !!

We have a couple of them around Sudbury now.

we have quite a few in Winnipeg

Only need a regular license not bike license like the Spyder yet are required to wear a helmet

I kinda find them great looking in person, Sunday night cruise night has a couple of them driving around

Archived