A picture for my Polaris friends

Re:Leaf

I just got back from Vegas. I saw this machine on Las Vegas Blvd and had to take a picture to share with you. I've never seen one before and I don't know if they are available in Canada. It says Polaris on the front bumper.

post-19700-0-37722600-1446212433_thumb.jpgpost-19700-0-93842000-1446212445_thumb.jpg

Ahh the slingshot.. Interesting machine.. It has a GM engine.. Can't say if I like it or hate it.. We saw one in Buffalo last year.

Thanks bud

Safe to say that you did not win nor purchase this with your winnings?  ;)

Very true. My pockets are empty.

Nope, sorry F7, I do think the Can-Am Spyder is a wicked looking ride though, The Slingshot is a little funky looking for me..To each their own...

Slingshot isn't street legal in Ontario. They aren't street legal in a number of states either. Saw one in BC and I agree with Nunz, the Spyder looks better. Slingshot looks odd.

Slingshot isn't street legal in Ontario. They aren't street legal in a number of states either. Saw one in BC and I agree with Nunz, the Spyder looks better. Slingshot looks odd.

They are not? I read somewhere they are, however they do require a helmet.. but I may have been reading it wrong. I do know they are not a motorcycle as they are built as a car. Unlike the T-Rex out of Quebec that starts it's life as a Suzuki GSXR.

I had the chance to ride a couple of different Spyders during a Test Ride in the summer.....feels just like sledding!

Fun little toy!!

W/ 4 trips a year in the US each year, I've only seen 1 on the highway & that was last Oct' in Maine.

Which the Polaris or the Can am ? I have seen lots of the Can am but none of the Polaris 

I meant the Polaris  :blush: LOL

They are not? I read somewhere they are, however they do require a helmet.. but I may have been reading it wrong. I do know they are not a motorcycle as they are built as a car. Unlike the T-Rex out of Quebec that starts it's life as a Suzuki GSXR.

Not sure as to their legality in Ontario but yes they do require you to wear a helmet and yes are built similar to a car but are actually labelled as a 3 wheeled motorcycle the same as the spyder.   

Not sure as to their legality in Ontario but yes they do require you to wear a helmet and yes are built similar to a car but are actually labelled as a 3 wheeled motorcycle the same as the spyder.

Here is a backwards oje for you, I think it was Pennsylvania I was reading about that has classed them as a car, but requires a helmet. Yet they have no requirement for motorcycle riders to wear a helmet.

But it doesn't surprise me with them being an issue in Ontario. Look at how long it too to get side by sides the same access rights as ATVs, we have a fun police issue here.

I think Ontario classifies the Slingshot as a car as they have bucket seats and a steering wheel. Problem is they don't meet any of the safety requirements of a new car. Same classification as the T-Rex which also isn't street legal in Ontario. Spyder is classified as a motorcycle as it has seating that you straddle and a handlebar.

Not sure what the legalities are, but I saw one in kitchener bout a month ago. We were head on, both turning in opposite directions, so I couldn't see what plate it was sporting. But I can tell you for sure they didn't have any helmets on.

The Slingshot cannot yet be licensed in Ontario. I've seen 2, both from Quebec, where they are classed as 3-wheeled cars. No helmets required. Some provinces class it as a motorcycle, requiring helmets and bike license.

The Slingshot cannot yet be licensed in Ontario. I've seen 2, both from Quebec, where they are classed as 3-wheeled cars. No helmets required. Some provinces class it as a motorcycle, requiring helmets and bike license.

It's intresting that you can't license them here but people from out of province can bring them in on a visit.

I have seen a T-Rex with Ontario plates, there is one in Pickering. It has a motorcycle plate on it. So it maybe using some sort of custom motorcycle class with MTO, since it starts as a GSXR.

Got this off of the Polaris website.

Slingshot Provincial Classification Operator License Requirements Thank you for your interest in Slingshot.  We are currently working to resolve Ontario licensure requirements. Our goal is to get Slingshots on the road in Ontario as soon as possible. This information is not available at this time.

Then checked the T-Rex site and found this so maybe the Slingshot will be legal or is?

http://www.ontariocanada.com/registry/view.do?language=en&postingId=18383

Currently, the ministry does not permit three-wheeled vehicles to be used on public highways in Ontario

So saying that MTO, how is the CamAm Spider legal to use, and take your M test on. Along with custom Goldwing and Harley 3 wheelers.

Now it does go on and say this..

This approach strikes a balance that will minimize regulatory burdens, encourage innovation in Ontario's automotive sector and ensure the safety of all road users

Keyword words Automotive sector. I personally don't see motorcycles part of the automotive sector. But that might be the current loophole.

Polaris calls the slingshot a car. Where the Spider, 3 wheeled Goldwings and the T-Rex are classed as motorcycles by thier manufacturers, so maybe there is some type of loophole there.

MTO has weird definitions. The 3 wheeled cars are being called three wheeled vehicles and the 3 wheeled motorcycles are being called motor tricycles. Motor tricycles are street legal with an M license, actually a modified M also works, which is why the Spyder and Harley  trikes are legal. The 3 wheeler cars are classified differently and they are proposing that the operator would need both a G and M license. Trust the government to make things confusing and complicated.

MTO has weird definitions. The 3 wheeled cars are being called three wheeled vehicles and the 3 wheeled motorcycles are being called motor tricycles. Motor tricycles are street legal with an M license, actually a modified M also works, which is why the Spyder and Harley  trikes are legal. The 3 wheeler cars are classified differently and they are proposing that the operator would need both a G and M license. Trust the government to make things confusing and complicated.

I wonder if the difference being the motorcycle/tricycle has an "open cockpit" and the cars are a closed cockpit ??

But self driving cars are now allowed to test on Ontario roads. Hope they drive better then the people designing them.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/topstories/ontario-announcement-automated-cars-1.3268181

Archived