Trail gone thanks to trespassing

Social acceptance plain and simple. If the group allows it , its OK, no different than no permit. Peer pressure is the only reasonable answer. When your buddy rides off trail you stop and tell him. Proven time and time again in society. I don't believe anyone on this forum or most others would be guilty so you have to look 'where', probably Facebook. We have several more in danger as I type.

At one time some of the smaller stores used to put bounced cheques on the wall in clear view until the bounced cheque was made good. In todays age where everyone has a camera perhaps it is time to start posting on a media like Facebook those who get caught on the trails without a permit and those that are running off the trails on private property for all to see. I expect they will be recognized by others and get that peer pressure. Especially when those peers realize a trail has been closed because of these people.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At one time some of the smaller stores used to put bounced cheques on the wall in clear view until the bounced cheque was made good. In todays age where everyone has a camera perhaps it is time to start posting on a media like Facebook those who get caught on the trails without a permit and those that are running off the trails on private property for all to see. I expect they will be recognized by others and get that peer pressure. Especially when those peers realize a trail has been closed because of these people.

Oh you can't do that. That would be against their rights of privacy or some BS like that. They would be the victim and us the bad guy.

post-19774-0-60528500-1425425621_thumb.jpg

This image is making the rounds. Photos are effective....hopefully riders will 'get it'.

The OFSC has many 'single message' campaigns ( e.g. buy where you ride). Perhaps "Ride between the Stakes" or "No trespassing" could be the 2016 message.

New Dundee have signs   "stay on the trail or stay home"  We have signs that say   " Appreciate Our Land Owners Please Stay Between Trail Markers"  The words are between two trail marker symbols.  I don't know if it helps, there is enough off trail riding.

The GTSA has signs available for its clubs that say STAY ON TRAIL OR PERMISSION REVOLKED   Of course you need to be able to understand this and give a S--T for it to be of any value.

All of the above signs 'work' IMO. 

I noticed this somewhat complex sign online and wonder if it would make a difference

("slow" may be not be suitable in the sample since it has a special meaning in risk management - corners or danger, I believe, which may not apply to open fields)

post-19774-0-05197600-1425428036_thumb.jpg

Sometimes I wonder about signs working. We put up trail closed signs every year at trail set up time and of course we get snow and people start to ride and asshats always break off one or two a year. It seems to be the attitude don't do this so of course we will.

I work for a large home builder where we were experiencing theft of lumber? Found most was from homeowners within our development and the area who wanted to finish their basement or add shelving in their garages. Small amounts were adding up to significant $'s. So we launched a proactive campaign by posting signage at site entrances and promoted it with all homeowners for a $500 reward for information that leads to charges being laid by police (no conviction required)

In short, we engaged the community as our security system and the results were immediate and dramatic. Over a two year period we only had two claims submitted. One payout

Not suggesting a financial reward but if the violators knew the mass of abiding snowmobilers had a simple way to report them, perhaps they would think twice.

Posted by volunteer2 on 08 March 2014 - 10:48 AM in Main Clubhouse

Was out yesterday and couldn't believe this.  Southern sno Riders (awesome trails) had a 2x4 sign withbold black letters saying   stay on the trail or permission would be revoked.  GROOMED trail, and saw the tracks leave the trail to cut the corners. Absolute idiots, dopes, morons what else can I say. The trail was such a short area and perfect. Felt sorry for the SSR because they may have to do a reroute because of this.

Found this post from last year and had to repost.

Part of this off trail ride any where mantality is being feed by the manufacturers . Just look at the photos in the magazines ,skies in the air ripen it up , it,s all about off trail long paddle tracks etc. Young guys are in for the adrenaline rush . They are living in the moment not thinking about the results of cutting  across that wheat field or running over trees on a Freeride . Back country RMK  what ever . Just my 5 cents . How to stop or even reduce this, don,t know Farmer boy may be on to something police ourselves .

I've never really understood the cutting corner parts.  IMO it shortens the ride.  The ditches are so full this year that anyone can make a "back country" trail for them selves and stay off private property at the same time.  Admittedly I am one of "those" with a paddle track, but the ditches is where I put it to good use.  I really hope we don't lose too many more trails because I know the vast majority of riders really like using them.  Myself included

Part of this off trail ride any where mantality is being feed by the manufacturers . Just look at the photos in the magazines ,skies in the air ripen it up , it,s all about off trail long paddle tracks etc. Young guys are in for the adrenaline rush . They are living in the moment not thinking about the results of cutting  across that wheat field or running over trees on a Freeride . Back country RMK  what ever . Just my 5 cents . How to stop or even reduce this, don,t know Farmer boy may be on to something police ourselves .

Good post  Was on my mind to say this as well, Really it was lol.  A while back the issue of free riding was talked about since it was in the mags and I remember then the club volunteer talk was "what are they thinking ?"  I think it was right at the time when we had the insurance crisis. Like we had enough problems with risk management.  Now there is talk again of doing this "free riding"  as a way to increase revenue.  At the end of the day we are still gonna have asshats that can't stay between the sticks. You can't fix stupid. 

Sometimes I wonder about signs working. We put up trail closed signs every year at trail set up time and of course we get snow and people start to ride and asshats always break off one or two a year. It seems to be the attitude don't do this so of course we will.

If locked gates don't work why would signs work? There are some that will pay attention to the signs but they aren't the problem. It's those that will cut locks on gates, pull down snow fencing or run over it etc. You know the attitude... That applies to everyone but me because I am a special entitled spoiled brat.

idiots driving over stuff like our boat trailers 

That takes a special kind of idiot.

The GTSA has signs available for its clubs that say STAY ON TRAIL OR PERMISSION REVOLKED   Of course you need to be able to understand this and give a S--T for it to be of any value.

They need to get new signs. The old ones aren't working. We are on the verge of losing the piece of B203 across the top of Baden because the people won't stay on the trail. They are coming out of the new subdivision and going where they want. The people have discovered it is shorter to ride the length of the field beside my lane to get to gas than it is to ride around to the other side of town and bring the access trail in. The club put a lot of extra signs and stakes and stood out there for the weekend and there are still new tracks down the field again this morning. The farmer is not happy with the idiots as that field will be winter wheat next year and there will be nobody on it one way or another. There is no easy re-route for the trail either as this farmer owns the land from town north to Erb's Rd. He feels bad about being stopping the trail but the lack of respect really bothers him. If he has to look at weeds o the damaged crops there is no hope of getting the trail back if we lose it. He doesn't like to see where the trail cuts thru a field in the summer even on other people's land let alone his own. Especially if it looks like sh!t.

I was driving around Muskoka and Haliburton this past weekend as saw coming through a couple of the golf courses that have given permission for the trails to go through with signs, flags etc to please stay on the trail and yet there is a ton of tracks all over the courses, makes me sick thinking the thought of trails closing there or anywhere cause of a few azzhats that have no care...

Damn this stuff gets me pissed off hearing and seeing it...

New Dundee have signs   "stay on the trail or stay home"  We have signs that say   " Appreciate Our Land Owners Please Stay Between Trail Markers"  The words are between two trail marker symbols.  I don't know if it helps, there is enough off trail riding.

CORRECTION    New Dundee has signs that say   Stay on the trail or we won't have a trail    Stay on trail or stay home was in D9 I think.  Both really good signs........if you are smart enough to read and understand them!! 

I was driving around Muskoka and Haliburton this past weekend as saw coming through a couple of the golf courses that have given permission for the trails to go through with signs, flags etc to please stay on the trail and yet there is a ton of tracks all over the courses, makes me sick thinking the thought of trails closing there or anywhere cause of a few azzhats that have no care...

Damn this stuff gets me pissed off hearing and seeing it...

We all see it...so tell me is there really any reason that we couldn't post online pictures of people clearly riding their sleds through the middle of the golf course, the farmers fields etc. Let the peer pressure get to them as their friends see and recognize the sled and rider. Lots of speculation about privacy why but I don't really know of one solid reason. Look at what is captured and put up everywhere today with almost everyone having a camera with them essentially all the time.  

We all see it...so tell me is there really any reason that we couldn't post online pictures of people clearly riding their sleds through the middle of the golf course, the farmers fields etc. Let the peer pressure get to them as their friends see and recognize the sled and rider. Lots of speculation about privacy why but I don't really know of one solid reason. Look at what is captured and put up everywhere today with almost everyone having a camera with them essentially all the time.  

I totally agree, I can only imagine how pissed off the owners of the golf courses or farmers feel seeing all those tracks....It really makes me wonder the stupidity of all of it...

Might be an answer coming soon though, for farmland trespassing! Ontario federation of Farmers (OFA) is seeking to raise the trespassing limit from 200 to 5000. Theoretically if this passes and club had pictures of the sled trespassing the owner of the property could then press the charge. Putting up signs saying go outside of stakes, 5000 fine! That would help don't you think? Need to charge a few people and post it in the magazines and around the net. Wouldn't take long for people to get the message.

Here is the link! I guess they want to impose a minimum fine of 1,000 and a max fine of 25,000. http://www.ofa.on.ca/media/news/ofa-says-it%27s-time-to-tighten-trespassing-on-farms

That would give OFSC and it's landowners power to catch some of these clowns and charge them. Not sure where the money would go, I am assuming majority back to the farmer to pay for damages if they exist.

Here is the link! I guess they want to impose a minimum fine of 1,000 and a max fine of 25,000. http://www.ofa.on.ca/media/news/ofa-says-it%27s-time-to-tighten-trespassing-on-farms

That would give OFSC and it's landowners power to catch some of these clowns and charge them. Not sure where the money would go, I am assuming majority back to the farmer to pay for damages if they exist.

Generally, fines paid in Ontario aren't dispersed to the damaged party. However, the Trespass to Property Act already allows for up to $1000 in damages to be collected from the trespasser. I can't see the OFA's request going anywhere. Fines (not damages) in excess of a few hundred bucks is excessive. 

EDIT: just read the linked article. 

The OFA isn't looking for a max fine of $25k. They want to raise the limits on damages to $25k. That is not unreasonable.  

Generally, fines paid in Ontario aren't dispersed to the damaged party. However, the Trespass to Property Act already allows for up to $1000 in damages to be collected from the trespasser. I can't see the OFA's request going anywhere. Fines (not damages) in excess of a few hundred bucks is excessive. 

EDIT: just read the linked article. 

The OFA isn't looking for a max fine of $25k. They want to raise the limits on damages to $25k. That is not unreasonable.  

hope they get it 

Archived