Social Responsibility for Snowmobilers

Domino

Recent events and Topics have raised the discussion of Social Responsibility for Snowmobilers.  We all have met somebody who thinks snowmobilers are a groups of drunken idiots on the trails, or inconsiderate boobs.  Whatever the perception, its becomes some sort of reality when it is communicated through Social Media or the News Media.

On my way home last night I observed a Pick-Up Truck that had a Snowmobile in the bed.  The driver was speeding, and I mean speeding in excess of 140 km/h, and driving erratically for some reason.  He could have been texting, he could be a poor driver, or he could have been drinking.  I don't know what the reason, but the other vehicles on Southbound 400 have a new impression of Snowmobilers from that one person.

Think about a Land Owner who witnesses this behaviour and is them later asked if he will share his land to help us connect a trail.....

That has always been a concern in our area with all the garbage left behind. Empty oil jugs, blown belts and of course empty cans. With are Old Order Mennonite land owners this is a concern but the dopes just don't get it.  Stay back at a road crossing when you see a horse and buggy and just give them some space man. Maybe this topic will enlighten some but as you sign ....... you can't fix stupid!!

Only takes a few to ruin it for all of us!

If you come across someone walking on a trail whether it is designated multi use or not... they are there. Show some common sense. Give them lots of room and slow down. Really what is it going to cost you? Two seconds on your trip. It could be the land owner walking THEIR property. Too often I have seen snowmobilers fly by these people shooting out snow behind them as the person on foot scrambles to get out of the way.

If you come across someone walking on a trail whether it is designated multi use or not... they are there. Show some common sense. Give them lots of room and slow down. Really what is it going to cost you? Two seconds on your trip. It could be the land owner walking THEIR property. Too often I have seen snowmobilers fly by these people shooting out snow behind them as the person on foot scrambles to get out of the way.

I would add give them a wave, treat everyone you meet on the trail as if they are the property owner that could revoke permission and cause a trail closure.

We do the same especially when we come across Dogsledders, anyone snowshoeing, or out for a walk, slow right down, wave as we go past... Even yesterday there was a lady cross country skiing with her dog on a lake and we went slow as we past her...

I would add give them a wave, treat everyone you meet on the trail as if they are the property owner that could revoke permission and cause a trail closure.

Agreed... sometimes it will be someone walking with a dog. I slow down even more and give them the widest berth possible. They usually stop and pull their dog to them and get to the side of the trail as much as possible. Everyone smiles and they appreciate it then everyone is on their way. Let's not have an incident where I believe it was about a week ago where a woman was hit along with her dog and they both ended up with a broken leg. We need to go out of our way to make people like us if we want to keep using other peoples property.

Don't know why so many just don't get it.

Agreed... sometimes it will be someone walking with a dog. I slow down even more and give them the widest berth possible. They usually stop and pull their dog to them and get to the side of the trail as much as possible. Everyone smiles and they appreciate it then everyone is on their way. Let's not have an incident where I believe it was about a week ago where a woman was hit along with her dog and they both ended up with a broken leg. We need to go out of our way to make people like us if we want to keep using other peoples property.

Don't know why so many just don't get it.

It's just a common courtesy that's the easy part, once you get past them and there's no one around I am all for giving it a punch on the gas...

Anytime we have seen someone walking, skiing or a dog along the trail we have slowed right down, therefore no snow dust, nor scare for them at all.  We always give a friendly wave and help if need be.  Last week while we were in Chesley we stopped and picked up an Amish gentleman due to we saw his bike left at the start of the trail to the farm.  The hubby picked him up and gave him a nice SLOW ride to the farm and told him to tell the farmer, thank you very much for the use of his/her property.  Another time in the Coldwater/Port McNicol Area we saw a couple walking a dog waving franticly.  We stopped and found out that they lost one of their dogs due to some a$$hat flying by them and scaring off the dog.  We pulled over and shut off our sleds until they found their dog and they waved us on and were very thankful.  I really wish some people could GROW another brain or at least start using the one they have!!

Not hard to respect other user groups. Should ever be in such a rush that a wave or nod cant be extended

i was asked to break a path on sunday for someone to go skiing on, so i thought what the heck. started out ok till i got in about two feet of snow, and we all know apexes aren't a deep snow sled...lol.

anyway i just pinned and broke the trail somewhat but i don't think it's what she was looking for. i told her after the snow  sets up it should be fine.

Was on trails in Port Perry yesterday, came upon 10-12 women walking the trail. They moved to the side, i slowed right down and gave them a wave, and was on my way. No big deal.

If they wer volleyball players, it was30 or 40 years ago. I was thinking more of a church group.

maybe they were nuns on the run...lol....

Yesterday I had a lady riding solo "check" in on me. I had pulled over under the power lines on the 126 near Orton to just take some photos. She was riding an older blue polaris. She had the nicest blue eyes.......... 

Turns out I caught her in my photo.

post-23485-0-96265900-1424742442_thumb.jpg

Maverick, Zoomed in on the photo but couldn't see her eyes LOL. Nothing sexier than beautiful eyes peering through a snowmobile helmet !

those eyes more than warmed my heart....

You can see them better here.

post-23485-0-86712300-1424745398_thumb.jpg

Great post 02

ON THE BOLD I FULLY AM IN AGREEMENT WITH THIS

I CAN NOT STAND WHEN PEOPLE BUZZ BY THESE PEOPLE

They are out enjoying a walk, maybe skiing, riding a horse, let them enjoy their sport/pastime etc and show respect by riding by slowly and waving

There is NO need to be a jerk

NOW ATVers on Snowmbile trails, that is is where I draw the line especially if they are rutting it up or fishtailing ,then I become a prick BUT again if they are riding slowly I have hardly an issue

I like the one about the Apex breaking the trail. LOL.

I call mine the tunnel borer sometimes.

Earlier this season while riding with WD and SledJunk and Fire242 near Sundridge we encountered a group of sledders who had just returned to their trucks. They were exchanging their snowmobile garb for street clothes, and one lady was down to jeans and a bra. We slowed right down as we passed, even though they were probably not the landowners. Common courtesy.

Earlier this season while riding with WD and SledJunk and Fire242 near Sundridge we encountered a group of sledders who had just returned to their trucks. They were exchanging their snowmobile garb for street clothes, and one lady was down to jeans and a bra. We slowed right down as we passed, even though they were probably not the landowners. Common courtesy.

That was your only motivation to slow down was it... common courtesy?

I'm riding the wrong areas for sure. Not once have I seen someone down to jeans and a bra while riding and not once have I had a lone woman rider with gorgeous blue eyes pull up and stop.

Archived