Groomer Operator Drinking Beer at Spectacle Lake Lodge

Smellybox

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paid grommer operator or volunteer?

It shouldn't make a difference - but honestly it would in my eyes (as long as in either case was servered and consumed under the 0.05 limit).

ZerO tolerance on trail operations 

why not post it on a sled forum, thats why its here for the good and bad or both side of the coin of sledding. i for one agree with him posting it, atleast anyone riding there trails will be able to keep an eye out for a drunken groomer on the trails.

why not post it on a sled forum, thats why its here for the good and bad or both side of the coin of sledding. i for one agree with him posting it, atleast anyone riding there trails will be able to keep an eye out for a drunken groomer on the trails.

Completely agree. Its naive and irresponsible for people to pass this up and ignore the facts here...

How many people see groups drinking 3+ beers each over lunch / dinner - then head out on 160 hp + machines doing >90 miles an hour?

How many stories have we seen in the news of these individuals crashing and hurting /killing themselves or others in the process?

How many 15km/hr "drunk" groomer operators stories or hurting /killing someone or damaging equipment have we heard?

Note -I normally never have even have a single drink while riding , nor do I have any grooming experience (or knowledge of what is really involved).

How many people see groups drinking 3+ beers each over lunch / dinner - then head out on 160 hp + machines doing >90 miles an hour?

How many stories have we seen in the news of these individuals crashing and hurting /killing themselves or others in the process?

How many 15km/hr "drunk" groomer operators stories or hurting /killing someone or damaging equipment have we heard?

Note -I normally never have even have a single drink while riding , nor do I have any grooming experience (or knowledge of what is really involved).

i hear what you are thinking, i see it at afew intersection on the trails, empty beer can

I re read the original post, I don't know, he never mentioned the operators name and most of us aren't from the area likely so the chances in knowing who the operator was for most of us is slim and the end of his post was " your thoughts". It sounds like he followed up the right way too so,,,,,

No different from one of us sitting drinking and hoping back on our sleds or in our vehcile or worse , back on the job. Funny there was a huge sign on the trail where I was today advertising to the sledders " COLD BEER".

I was thinking brrr, that's all I need!! I'm sure there's nothing wrong with a beer at a lunch stop (not on the clock by the way) but any more I find I just have a coffee or something else.

This is very true. Horryfing to see the amount of beer sledders consume at lunch. Consisentyl 3+. No wonder they cut corners...

Ya seen beer cans today as well on a trail that were not there a couple hours earlier when we went by.

I know this is a little off topic , at club house in Moonbeam they have don't drink and ride signs on all the walls. Then they sell

snowmobilers alcohol, I seen many come in and pound back a few beers or shots etc and then jump on sleds . That makes prefect sense

to me!

I know this is a little off topic , at club house in Moonbeam they have don't drink and ride signs on all the walls. Then they sell

snowmobilers alcohol, I seen many come in and pound back a few beers or shots etc and then jump on sleds . That makes prefect sense

to me!

I have also seen the said location refuse to serve, so I am confident in saying, they won't overserve.

Some Ssledders drink lots of beer out on the trails! I actually think there is less drinking going on today, then say 10 years ago though. The snowmobiles do seem to ride smoother after a few cold ones though.

Or maybe  to be sure it will run(with the cold we've been having  or maybe so you don't have to wait 15 minutes for it to defrost when you go out to start again. Anyway, I thought (stand to be corrected)with the GPS system you only get paid if its moving.

That was the plan, but because all the problems with the GPS systems, they will work most likely with clock hours. I have groomed for about 8 years, about 2000 hours and I turned the engine always off. Its a waist of fuel and abuse of grooming hours.

About defrosting, why you don't let the engine run 24 hours, 7 days a week?

Thanks,

Greg

That was the plan, but because all the problems with the GPS systems, they will work most likely with clock hours. I have groomed for about 8 years, about 2000 hours and I turned the engine always off. Its a waist of fuel and abuse of grooming hours.

About defrosting, why you don't let the engine run 24 hours, 7 days a week?

Thanks,

Greg

We have had some really frigid temperatures this past weekend and this week. Diesel engines are not always the easiest to start in cold weather. Was the groomer diesel or gas powered? Did he perhaps have a hard time getting it to start in the first place and not want to go through that again. I saw a groomer idling while the operator went in for lunch a couple of years ago. It was quite cold that day and in conversation he mentioned how hard it was to get it started that day. There are an awful lot of unkonwn variables here to pass judgement.

If the groomer has a def tank, that stuff will freeze if it isn't running! Then if he can get it started it will take 45 mins or so before the def 'thaws out enough for the engine to run normally.

If the groomer has a def tank, that stuff will freeze if it isn't running! Then if he can get it started it will take 45 mins or so before the def 'thaws out enough for the engine to run normally.

Really

Really

Def is over half distilled water! It relies on engine heat to keep the def tank thawed! Once it hits minus 15, the stuff will freeze solid! Not sure if the groomer is a newer deign or not! The def isn't cold weather friendly, shut it off and it could need to regen for up to an hour before it is moveable again.

Def is over half distilled water! It relies on engine heat to keep the def tank thawed! Once it hits minus 15, the stuff will freeze solid! Not sure if the groomer is a newer deign or not! The def isn't cold weather friendly, shut it off and it could need to regen for up to an hour before it is moveable again.

We have the Def in the Dundee groomer.  Gonna have to ask the guys how they are making out.

This is very true. Horryfing to see the amount of beer sledders consume at lunch. Consisentyl 3+. No wonder they cut corners...

All sledders?? :whatever::cry2:

Diesel will gel at extreme low temperatures. That is why the diesel fuel tanks for our generators for the data centre are heated and the engines have heaters.... if you feel the engine you will find it is always warm to make for an easy start

Ask my friend from North Bay that's a trucker. During last winter his truck "derated" its power between Nipigon & Thunder Bay. It was so cold the DEF was starting to gel/freeze & sensors acted like the truck was out of DEF. Limped into to TB for service. 

Really....?????

So al the newer diesel trucks, tractors and so on, don't start by -25 or -30?

Really.....?????

So if I buy a new Silverado 2500 Diesel, I have to run it 24 hours 7 days a week in the winter...??

Really....?????

Archived