OPP on Trails

luvsno

Rode Friday and Saturday out of Waubashene and everytime we saw the OPP at a stop they were writing tickets. WTF. Are people too stupid to follow 5 rules. No pipes, driver's license, valid trail permit and license sticker, and drinking. This isn't 1980. One young adult was in tears while the cop was on the cellphone. 7 of us come up to the checkpoint and the other guy waves us through as he checks for permit and license sticker. Not too hard to do. Great trails with all the rail beds and a trip to see ice caves at Giants Tomb. Incredible there, and some of the ice was so blue in colour just unbelievable.

I have absolutely zero sympathy for someone with pipes or a can. Just asking for trouble.

See at least one without an obvious permit every time we ride.We did see an old late 70's tnt bombing down the trail today and he did have a classic pass.

Kerry

See at least one without an obvious permit every time we ride.We did see an old late 70's tnt bombing down the trail today and he did have a classic pass.

Kerry

I have been checking permits all riding season here in the GTSA. I have yet to find a sled that had not purchased a permit. The biggest problem is that there seems to be more people than ever putting the permit in hard to find/see places. I guess they don't realize that if they put it where it should be, guys like me wouldn't be stopping them or wasting their/my time trying to find it.

The permit used to be and should be a symbol of pride displayed properly 

well said

when i was home and sledding, i was on a couple rips from erin to Aurthur and seen a few sleds with no permits. i can't really blame the gang from fergus area, the trails are always crap around there NO GROOMING

I have absolutely zero sympathy for someone with pipes or a can. Just asking for trouble.

What if the pipes are stock?

I have been checking permits all riding season here in the GTSA. I have yet to find a sled that had not purchased a permit. The biggest problem is that there seems to be more people than ever putting the permit in hard to find/see places. I guess they don't realize that if they put it where it should be, guys like me wouldn't be stopping them or wasting their/my time trying to find it.

Hang out around here! I've seen a few with no permits!

I have been checking permits all riding season here in the GTSA. I have yet to find a sled that had not purchased a permit. The biggest problem is that there seems to be more people

than ever putting the permit in hard to find/see

places. I guess they don't realize that if they put

it where it should be, guys like me wouldn't be

stopping them or wasting their/my time trying to

find it.

Seen one sled today in plastville, had no permit. Looked every where on that sled. Others are putting them on the tunnels, which can be hard to see.

Early season I came across a couple of sleds with the permit in their pockets. They left with the permit attached to the sled. Like you I am seeing more and more putting them behind the windshield, on the cowling pointing straight toward the sun and even some on the throttle side of the cowling. Then they actually ask why they are being stopped since they do have a permit. Perhaps next year with each permit sold there should be a notice handed out simply stating where the permit should be put and be prepared to be stopped if you put it elsewhere.

There was an OPP checkpoint today, asked for our papers.  There was a group of 3 kids (teens) going by, 2 didn't stop.  One cop stopped them just across the tracks and had some words with them.  

I proudly display my Classis permits nice and high, kids thesse days don't want to bugger up the look of their sled with an ugly sticker .....

kids thesse days don't want to bugger up the look of their sled with an ugly sticker .....

That's like saying I don't want to wreck the looks of my vehicle with a licence plate. :blush:

I saw 2 opp sleds in the middle of lake couchiching yesterday with their lights flashing.  It caught me by surprise and I didn't know what to do, so i just drove over to them.  They gave me the thumbs up and I continued on my way.  I wasn't expecting to see them there.

That's like saying I don't want to wreck the looks of my vehicle with a licence plate. :blush:

It's true !!!   Kids up here get a new sled thanks to mom & dad, first thing they do, yank every safety decal off and get personalized numbers.  Then they crank the risers straight up .... and add a can .... may not be true everywhere, but it sure is up here !

Next time you're in Hearst, just take notice how many pickups have 20" aluminum spoke rims with 6 and 8" lifts, big ugly lights all over the front grille, and exhaust systems.  You see the odd one here & there down south, but everyone up here's gotta have the stuff.

we were stopped in Sudbury thursday by 2 opp at a road crossing, checked for permits and val tags and also checked if our helmet straps were done up, both officers were pleasant and we were on our way in no time

we were stopped in Sudbury thursday by 2 opp at a road crossing, checked for permits and val tags and also checked if our helmet straps were done up, both officers were pleasant and we were on our way in no time

as it should be 

Similar experience to ScottyD last weekend in Mattawa. Officer in car with flashing lights, on road adjacent to trail, same questions as ScottyD had  with the exception of his introductory question:

"Have you been stopped already"?

(Today? This weekend? Somewhat academic since this was 1st stop of the year,  but got the sense that they're listening to the "I've been stopped 3 times today" rant (Bracebridge in years past).

It was a respectful, positive experience.  Told him to watch that hooligan Sledjunk in the group behind, and off I went.

Similar experience to ScottyD last weekend in Mattawa. Officer in car with flashing lights, on road adjacent to trail, same questions as ScottyD had  with the exception of his introductory question:

(Today? This weekend? Somewhat academic since this was 1st stop of the year,  but got the sense that they're listening to the "I've been stopped 3 times today" rant (Bracebridge in years past).

It was a respectful, positive experience.  Told him to watch that hooligan Sledjunk in the group behind, and off I went.

when does sledjunk get even that should be fun 

Just biding my time :icon_cankick: :icon_cankick:

Not surprised he was behind.... :nana:

Archived