Check your "6", folks!

b-bry

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These situations have happened to be many times, passing can be hairy.

What do I do? I stop for 5 mins for a smoke, turn the engine off and appreciate where I am, usually on a beautifully groomed highway in the middle of nowhere.

Sometimes it makes sense to take a break and soak it all in.

STG, Please read this thread and take b-bry's advise...

ahahaha

We have a group of riders that are not slow but get passed by groups going faster than what we feel comfortable at. We have communicators and the last sled lets us know when he has sleds on his tail and when it is safe we pull over and let them pass. The problem is that in a lot of cases these speedy groups go fast for a while and then stop. We don't take too many breaks so we usually end up passing them. We don't mind stopping and letting the speeders go by the first time but after that I am not pulling over to let them by again. This just ends up slowing us down. They want by the second tim they'll have to wait for a good spot to get by while we are moving.

I had the same experience, why don't these things come with horns?

We were stopped at an intersection on Saturday for a break,a group went by and one sled did have a horn.He honked and waved on his way by,and it was quite loud,man did the wife and i ever laugh.

The biggest problem I find is most of the yahoo's can't wait a few minutes or expect you to stop completely the second they catch up to you.  I am usually the last person in my group, I have mirrors on my sled but the position they are in I cannot see behind the greatest but usually will see when someones behind me.  Most of the time when someone is behind me I will look behind to let them know that I see them and when I get to the first flat straight spot I will slow down and wave them past.  Most of them will wait, but sometimes you get someone back there that will wait for about 5 seconds and then will pass you whether you are on a curve or going over a hill.  

We've got about 1000 miles on each sled this year in district 10, and so far no asshats.  We've allowed a good number of sleds to pass us - we either slow down or stop completely, depending on trail conditions.  I expect others to do the same for us.  Remember, courtesy and thoughtfulness towards others is never a bad thing.  

Just as bad as hard-core speed demons are the slow riders who have a bad "to hell with you" attitude and will only pull over when they're good and ready, if at all.  These folks think the sport or the trails are theirs alone, and in their own self-righteous minds think they're the good ones.  In reality, this attitude can cause accidents just as much as the speeders.  Maybe they just don't realize that what they're doing will create "trail rage" in others who will then take it out on the next group they encounter.

When I started this thread, I chose my words carefully so as not to create animosity, but to foster a sense of empathy and awareness.  We all have to share the trails and respect each other's riding style.  We all have exactly the same right to enjoy our sport.

We've got about 1000 miles on each sled this year in district 10, and so far no asshats.  We've allowed a good number of sleds to pass us - we either slow down or stop completely, depending on trail conditions.  I expect others to do the same for us.  Remember, courtesy and thoughtfulness towards others is never a bad thing.  

Just as bad as hard-core speed demons are the slow riders who have a bad "to hell with you" attitude and will only pull over when they're good and ready, if at all.  These folks think the sport or the trails are theirs alone, and in their own self-righteous minds think they're the good ones.  In reality, this attitude can cause accidents just as much as the speeders.  Maybe they just don't realize that what they're doing will create "trail rage" in others who will then take it out on the next group they encounter.

When I started this thread, I chose my words carefully so as not to create animosity, but to foster a sense of empathy and awareness.  We all have to share the trails and respect each other's riding style.  We all have exactly the same right to enjoy our sport.

Well said.

As mentioned, have gone to some trouble to accomodate seeing riders behind me on the trail.

post-19713-0-19880900-1392201830_thumb.j

If they are too impatient to wait to pass until I deem it is safe to do so - at this point knowing what's coming ahead - poor terrain or on-coming sledders, I will take my time. The question I always ask myself when another rider puts pressure on me to pass unsafely is "is this guy going to pay my medical bills?"

And therein lies the basis of my "to hell with you".

I have a horn. I use it for good, not evil. I get plenty of smiles from dog walkers, cross country skiers, folks at restaurants and gas stations. I wouldn't even contemplate the idea of a bumper to knock other riders off the trail. I might look into those propane attachments they use in South Africa to prevent car jacking though.

Why don't you guys try flashing your high beams a few times?

As mentioned, have gone to some trouble to accomodate seeing riders behind me on the trail.

attachicon.gifmirror.jpg

If they are too impatient to wait to pass until I deem it is safe to do so - at this point knowing what's coming ahead - poor terrain or on-coming sledders, I will take my time. The question I always ask myself when another rider puts pressure on me to pass unsafely is "is this guy going to pay my medical bills?"

I have a horn. I use it for good, not evil. I get plenty of smiles from dog walkers, cross country skiers, folks at restaurants and gas stations. I wouldn't even contemplate the idea of a bumper to knock other riders off the trail. I might look into those propane attachments they use in South Africa to prevent car jacking though.

I dont mind waiting till it is safe I do mind people that intentionally block the trail for many miles and those that dont check everynow and then especially those who have mirrors it is especially frustrating to be held up by someone who is going though the corners on the wrong side I grit my teeth and hope that nobody is coming the other way. If someone is ignorant enough to see me and intentionally block the trail when it is safe to pass I would love to give them a nudge.  

• 3 weeks later...

My rant of the day:

If you were part of the group of Yammi riders on the Paudash system (ate lunch in Wilberforce, then south thru Apsley) this is directed @ you!

"If you don't want to be stuck behind "slower" riders, don't stop every 10 minutes."

The 4 of up rode down from Tory Hill to E108. The group was leaving as we stopped. They took off & we never saw them again. We stopped in @ the clubhouse for a minutes then continued east on TOP E. We ride for about 5 minutes & pass this group (stopped) @ the "north access" to Eels Lake intersection. As we get within sight of the Hwy 28 road crossing they catch up to us. We motion for them to pass us as we're stopped @ the road crossing. 

We ride for 10 minutes down E & get to the E/E107 intersection & there they are again, stopped (sleds turned off) all over the trail. We work our way thru the group & continue on. About 5 minutes later I see a headlight in my mirror & working closer towards me. %^&* em, you guys can stay behind us. I'm sick of this leap frog game. When we stopped @ the Hwy 28 road crossing north of Apsley, we let them go. We only had about 4 more miles to go.

Other than on the forest access road sections of TOP we were doing around 50 to 55 kph. So I wouldn't consider us as being moving pylons.

I've played leap frog w/ groups in northern Ontario during a day of riding over a hundred or so miles. I normally don't get bothered w/ a group that catches up to us, but this was stupid. Pass us then 10 minutes later stop? Give me a break. Especially when you were stopped 15 minutes before.

Talking to 1 of the guys in the village that sleds & he was talking to the group earlier in the day in Apsley. He knew them & they were from the area, so I don't know what the issue was.

End of rant. 

It was a busy day. We met a lot of sleds. I don't think we caught up to any groups (other than a trio towing a dead sled). Didn't have any other sleds catch up to us.

most people seem to get on sleds and go into never never land, i think most that have mirrors for get they are even there.

The "Rotax Horn" came in handy in situations like this many years ago when I had the Formula III 600, 700 and Mach Z. A quick rap on the loud handle let the last person in line know I was there. Oh well, no more silencers for me, so you just have to be patient.

Trail rage? ....The concept that sledders are responsible for the mental health and emotional stability of others is ludicrous. Call Dr. Phil....form a support group....

My rant of the day:

"If you don't want to be stuck behind "slower" riders, don't stop every 10 minutes."

Yep.

Heres the deal slomo, as long as you are hard right and not blocking the trail, no one has the right to bitch, riding in the center and not paying attention or intentionally blocking, that is a pearson causing a problem. It's not just "your" sport, it is our sport and if everybody remembers that and is mindful to each other, we can all have allot of fun.

attachicon.gifmirror.jpg

I have a horn. I use it for good, not evil. I get plenty of smiles from dog walkers, cross country skiers, folks at restaurants and gas stations. I wo3uldn't even contemplate the idea of a bumper to knock other riders off the trail. I might look into those propane attachments they use in South Africa to prevent car jacking though.

Heres the deal slomo, as long as you are hard right and not blocking the trail, no one has the right to bitch, riding in the center and not paying attention or intentionally blocking, that is a pearson causing a problem. It's not just "your" sport, it is our sport and if everybody remembers that and is mindful to each other, we can all have allot of fun.

That is right but those that block on a railbed knowingly are frustrating 

Typically we always keep tight to the right of the trail so if it is a straight wide trail nobody needs to pull over. When we are out and we see people come up behind us we will where it is safe to do so, not on a bend etc. either slow down or stop and let them pass. That is almost all of the time. For some though I can't help but question, does all that going fast wear you out? We slow down or stop and let a group pass only to find a short time later here they are parked on the trail and we ride past them. A short time later they want to pass us again so once again we let them... then guess what not that much farther here they are stopped again.

After a couple of these I get to the point where I am tired of stopping to let them pass. They are the ones who now think the trails are theirs alone with their repeated get out of my way just so I can go another couple of km and stop again attitude. At that point I still stay to the right and they can pass when they find a nice straight stetch of trail where it is safe to do so.

Typically we always keep tight to the right of the trail so if it is a straight wide trail nobody needs to pull over. When we are out and we see people come up behind us we will where it is safe to do so, not on a bend etc. either slow down or stop and let them pass. That is almost all of the time. For some though I can't help but question, does all that going fast wear you out? We slow down or stop and let a group pass only to find a short time later here they are parked on the trail and we ride past them. A short time later they want to pass us again so once again we let them... then guess what not that much farther here they are stopped again.

After a couple of these I get to the point where I am tired of stopping to let them pass. They are the ones who now think the trails are theirs alone with their repeated get out of my way just so I can go another couple of km and stop again attitude. At that point I still stay to the right and they can pass when they find a nice straight stetch of trail where it is safe to do so.

That is all one could ask. It just gets frustrating when folks move to the center and block in a straight stretch

Hurry up and wait.

X2

I checked the map today and it was 20 klicks from where we 1st saw them to where we passed them @ the TOP E/E107 jct'.

If you can't ride more than that w/o stopping for 1, let alone 2 rests, maybe you stay home & take up knitting.

It's not like they were riding from Hearst to Cochrane. Then again they would've needed overnight stays in Kap' & SRF @ the rate they were travelling.

That is right but those that block on a railbed knowingly are frustrating

for sure it is, and I have my way of dealing with it, probably wrong in the eyes of many, but to bad. They won't see me stopped 3k up the trail either, unless there is a club house or warm up shack. Everybody has their way of riding, in my eye's the only wrong way of riding is in the center of the trail or completely on the wrong side. IMO ride any speed you please, just make sure you are in control.

A few years ago, I installed a set of these horns on my sled:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/fiamm-atv-moped-motorcycle-horns-0202078p.html#.UxTDreNdU1I

They work perfect for getting someone's attention.

Just a friendly reminder here ...

On Saturday we were sledding south from Magnetawan on C101, a beautiful, but winding trail.  We caught up to a group of three sledders just putt-putting along - not that there's anything wrong with that - but we were riding lighter machines and wanted to "play through".  These three had mirrors, but obviously were not using them, as we followed for several miles before we could safely pass the first one (last in line).  I got behind the second one who kept to the right EXCEPT when there was a straight stretch - he took the middle of the trail preventing me from passing.  I have no reason to believe this was intentional, just not checking his mirrors.  These three were wearing orange safety vests, so I'm quite sure they were safety conscious, just not attentive to what was behind them.

We finally got by at an intersection.  Please folks, use your mirrors, check your six-o'clock position and let others pass!

Friendly reminder finished.

I have no mirrors and do try to look back often if riding slow, if I am clipping along I usually don't bother to look as often but certainly at a stop I make sure I am not holding up others. I am also very patient if following, and will wait until safe to pass if they are not moving over. It can be dangerous to pass a slow rider that is not aware you are there, they may well be new, and startling them can cause an accident. We have to remember that many newer riders may well see a 50kmh sign, be doing 60kmh and think they are riding too fast to begin with, notunderstanding many seasoned riders can move alot faster while still being very safe. Courtesy goes a long way, and that is from both sides of the coin. Trail rage can ruin your day, so try to be patient, and understand we all have not been riding for 30 years and may be new to the sport. When I ride with my kid, I will ride a little slower so as not to draw her into a tight corner with too much speed, yet we move down the trail at a good clip, because I can ride alot faster otherwise I realize we may have sleds come up on us from behind and watch more closely and apprerciate care when passing us so as not to put my kid in a dangerous spot. I have to say we are blessed here in the Sudbury area as rarely do we pass sled oncoming or have sleds wanting by.

That is all one could ask. It just gets frustrating when folks move to the center and block in a straight stretch

Those that do need some education. Too bad only the 12 year olds get educated.

Archived