Check your "6", folks!

b-bry

Just a friendly reminder here ...

On Saturday we were sledding south from Magnetawan on C101, a beautiful, but winding trail.  We caught up to a group of three sledders just putt-putting along - not that there's anything wrong with that - but we were riding lighter machines and wanted to "play through".  These three had mirrors, but obviously were not using them, as we followed for several miles before we could safely pass the first one (last in line).  I got behind the second one who kept to the right EXCEPT when there was a straight stretch - he took the middle of the trail preventing me from passing.  I have no reason to believe this was intentional, just not checking his mirrors.  These three were wearing orange safety vests, so I'm quite sure they were safety conscious, just not attentive to what was behind them.

We finally got by at an intersection.  Please folks, use your mirrors, check your six-o'clock position and let others pass!

Friendly reminder finished.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the same experience, why don't these things come with horns?

Is a bump draft in order?

Just a friendly reminder here ...

On Saturday we were sledding south from Magnetawan on C101, a beautiful, but winding trail.  We caught up to a group of three sledders just putt-putting along - not that there's anything wrong with that - but we were riding lighter machines and wanted to "play through".  These three had mirrors, but obviously were not using them, as we followed for several miles before we could safely pass the first one (last in line).  I got behind the second one who kept to the right EXCEPT when there was a straight stretch - he took the middle of the trail preventing me from passing.  I have no reason to believe this was intentional, just not checking his mirrors.  These three were wearing orange safety vests, so I'm quite sure they were safety conscious, just not attentive to what was behind them.

We finally got by at an intersection.  Please folks, use your mirrors, check your six-o'clock position and let others pass!

Friendly reminder finished.

I had the same experience as well, yesterday, on Trail 78 heading north from 77 (north of Hwy. 60 in Muskoka.)  It's a tight, twisty route, and being a Monday afternoon, could have used a fresh groom, but actually wasn't too bad.  I caught up to a couple who were putting along at 20-30 km/hr, totally oblivious to the fact that I was behind them despite the fact that both of their sleds (touring Cats) had mirrors.  This painfully slow pace went on for several kms, until hubby finally turned around and noticed another sled behind wifey, and signalled her to pull over so I could pass...even then, she didn't use her mirrors, and instead, pulled up beside him (thus totally blocking the trail) to find out what all of his hand gestures were about.  At that point he became pretty animated and she finally realized I was stopped behind her, waiting (impatiently...LOL) to get by.  They might as well have not had any mirrors at all.

Allow me to offer another perspective....I have a picture of three a holes that passed me unsafely last weekend and am almost tempted to post it here as I'd like to have a little chat with them - one at a time or all three at once. I have gone out of my way to modify mirrors so I can easily see sleds coming up behind me and let them by when it is safe to do so.

These three guys nearly ran me off the trail - too impatient to wait until I pulled over. Most that passed me appreciated it with a friendly wave. What really helps if the last person passing signals the last sled in line so I know that someone else con't be colliding with me as I pull back into the trail.

So, to those that are complaining - to hell with you. I will pull over in my own sweet time when it is safe to do so and if that's a problem with you, get out of my sport. My type of sledding doesn't close trails and  doesn't cause accidents.

I think everyone has experienced this on more than one occasion.

Allow me to offer another perspective....I have a picture of three a holes that passed me unsafely last weekend and am almost tempted to post it here as I'd like to have a little chat with them - one at a time or all three at once. I have gone out of my way to modify mirrors so I can easily see sleds coming up behind me and let them by when it is safe to do so.

These three guys nearly ran me off the trail - too impatient to wait until I pulled over. Most that passed me appreciated it with a friendly wave. What really helps if the last person passing signals the last sled in line so I know that someone else con't be colliding with me as I pull back into the trail.

So, to those that are complaining - to hell with you. I will pull over in my own sweet time when it is safe to do so and if that's a problem with you, get out of my sport. My type of sledding doesn't close trails and  doesn't cause accidents.

Slomo, I totally understand your perspective...unlike the 3 guys you mentioned, I would never attempt to make a "surprise" (and likely unsafe) pass in the sort of tight trail situation i was describing previously, and never considered it for even a second yesterday.  What was so frustrating was the fact that there were multiple places that these two folks could have safely pulled over in the 5 kms or so that I was following them, but because they were apparently not paying any attention to their mirrors, didn't know that I was even back there.  And by the time the leader finally saw me, I wasn't the only one waiting to get by...two other sleds had caught up to and joined this little parade by then.

This thread is not at all critical of people choosing to ride at a slower pace than some of us -- it's about paying attention to what's going on behind and being considerate of others on the trail. 

Slomo, I'm so glad you posted this! I check my mirrors constantly, because I hate having someone ride up my ass. If I see someone, I pull over and sginal my brother to pull over as well. We pull over and let the sleds by. I hate when people can't wait that extra second for me to pull over. And then, the worst thing is like you said, they don't tell me if there the last sled...

Last Thursday riding with Canuck we were behind a couple of dumbasses for more than ten minutes on the Seguin they had mirrors. What makes them Dumbasses? Wandering all over the trail using the inside of the corner left or right turn wandering all over and oblivious to the world around them I made sure that my head light was in view of their mirrors my sled is bright green and not hard to see. I did not pass them because at no point was it safe to do so I will usually only pass if the person that I am passing knows that I am there

Easy to see both sides of the issue.....people just in general need to be more aware of their surroundings when on a sled trail.

I think the biggest issue is when you get the true newbies or rental people going 20-30km.....its not that their speed is the issue, its that AT THAT SPEED they are actually endangering themselves if they are not constantly checking their mirrors, and many dont even have mirrors.

I know if Im running a more leisurely speed I often am watching my mirrors much more...Just the other day I was tooling back from baysville slower then normal as I was riding with one of my slower buds and I must keep it down to not leave him too far back....and sure enough i saw a sled come up pretty hard on me in mirror, I got my ski off into the powder quickly and tapped my brake light a few times, he flew by and was on his way.  

The worst part is when you got several slow riders all in their group, and you come up on last one....you are able to safely pass him, but now you are within his group, and the next riders in their group do not realize you are someone else trying to pass, as they just think you are the person in their group....definitely can get to be tricky on our tight and twistys.  

Just got be smart, safe and aware....Seems when you pass the slow ones they often get mad and call us yahoos, and when we are fast and they do not let us pass we call them slow and inconsiderate....goes both ways i guess....lol

The best is when you get a coupla punks pull up behind you at Warp 5 with their ring ding cans, and scare your seat up your arse.   Unless I'm riding alone (rarely), I'm watching the mirrors more than the trail ahead.  I purposely hog the center until there's a stretch that's straight and safe before signaling them to pass.  Lotsa room in the rhubarb if you really wanna get past.

Adventure Bumper...lol...with bull horns on it!!!

Adventure Bumper...lol...with bull horns on it!!!

hhaaha that thing is pretty big

I wait until there is a clear stretch and go far left and pass. If there is a long line of sleds with decent gaps I will pass one or two at a time.

If not possible to pass due to tight trails or poor visibility I wait for an intersection to pass. While waiting I stay well behind so they don't feel rushed along.

I will pull far right and wave faster riders by when the trail is safe but I do not pull over and stop to let them by unless at an intersection.

I have to admit to occasionally being a lane hog.  My wife and I run with the two kids in the middle of us or sometimes my newbie sister.  It stresses me out to see sleds behind me and no way to tell the kids or sis to pull over.  For those that are held up just understand that if the kids weren't there you wouldn't have caught us and getting them into the sport and up to speed takes some time.

I miss my big front bumper . Nascar nudge  

For some reason I came up with a mental image of WB on a sled with a lasso ...

Got hid headlight u dont notice them behind you'll notice the roost when I pass

Got hid headlight u dont notice them behind you'll notice the roost when I pass

I've dealt w/ the slow lane hogs a few times in the past. One past was scary that the 2 riders rode right up the middle of the trail when going up hills.

If I see they have mirrors, I try to ride in the middle to get their attention. Most of the time it doesn't work. 

The worst case was years ago when our group of 8 or 10 sleds caught up to a Plus leading a Citation LS (woman riding it). The Plus rider kept looking back @ us but kept on riding. I was leading & just about running over the Citation. I gave up trying to pass. My buddy passed me & got by the Citation. He then got by the Plus. Somehow the Plus got roosted. The Plus rider pulled over and the Citation stopped. We rode by.

I have mirrors on my sled, but I'm usually leading, so it's hard for me to tell if someone's trying to pass. If I do, I'll slow down or pull over as soon as it's safe for them to pass.

For some reason I came up with a mental image of WB on a sled with a lasso ...

More like a bullwhip!

Archived