Frostbite

Pota

Hey guys, I was up sledding in Huntsville with some buddies on weds/thurs ( those really cold days ) and managed to get frostbite on my face. I wear a full face modular helmet and don't know how this happened, since this is the first time it has . I did feel air coming in the helmet and didn't think twice about it as I never felt cold. Is it time for new helmet if air gets in? Any precautions to take? Or any advice?

I have learn you must cover your face when its really cold, got frost bite twice in the past. Even with a full face helmet I cover my face from nose down, either with my neck warmer/balaclava or both together.

I used to wear the old style ski-doo modular helmet with glasses and I got frost bite with that helmet, right around the mouth piece at the lower cheeks.

When it's cold you must cover everything, leave nothing exposed. I have seen guys with frost bite on their forehead from leaking helmets, on the neck from the helmet bucket even with a balaclava.

Best advice get a good neck warmer & balaclava and where both.

Kaz

I have a modular to and it works great ,but real cold temps it did leak a bit of air , I had some foam tape used for truck cap install , cut it into 1/16th" pieces and stuck it where wind can get in , hold helmut up to light ,if you see light then wind can get in there , dont know how guys ride up here with MX helmuts 

One of my favourite fitting helmets was a THH,but I found the gap between the helmet and top of the face shield had over a 1/4 inch gap. I also used some sticky foam tap to fill the gap. But, it would then fog up terribly, so I trimmed it a bit and wasn't too bad after that. It also had a heated shield. I've gone modular since and I feel a bit of air come in but I like the flip up. The neck warmer in combination with balaclave for those cold days really helps block the air, but I feel the more I get on its harder to sight see as it will bunch up in the collar of my leather coat.

I agree at minus 25 i felt it on face too....mostly on the lake runs over 45mph....it doesnt feel like its bad until you stop and look at your face!

I love my CKX modular, its been the best helmet for not fogging and good seal, but in extreme temps and hi speeds you gotta be very careful with any helmet.

royal usually has best pricing on these CKX, as for modular style i find this is the best...always smart to get electric too for those freezing drizzle type days.

Dan

I think it was a common problem this week. Both myself and my wife commented to each other how cold our face got. I agree that the lake runs tended to make it worse. Don't know anything to do other than wear a thin balaclava as if the shield was any more sealed I'd probably fog up. I wear glasses.

A good coat of vaseline or heavy duty hand cream on your face will help a lot. What is happening with frost bite is that the cold air is freezing the water content of your skin. If you can moisturize with cream, you help protect it. Actually re-applying it right now as I was out this morning and heading out again In Midland today...snowing like crazy....will file report later.

3....2.....1.....waiting for the vaseline posts....it does work well though.....

you need to prevent air leaks in ALL HELMETS, to prevent frostbite. balaclava's with windproof neck, temple and face areas, and complete coverage of all exposed skin. we wear moto x helmets at far colder temps, you just have to make sure you and your gear are prepared for the conditions. Ski

Hey guys, I was up sledding in Huntsville with some buddies on weds/thurs ( those really cold days ) and managed to get frostbite on my face. I wear a full face modular helmet and don't know how this happened, since this is the first time it has . I did feel air coming in the helmet and didn't think twice about it as I never felt cold. Is it time for new helmet if air gets in? Any precautions to take? Or any advice?

If it is the first bombardier modular helmet the storm mask works great. A bit to get all set up but with eye glasses and the storm mask it is warm and no fogging.

I have a modular to and it works great ,but real cold temps it did leak a bit of air , I had some foam tape used for truck cap install , cut it into 1/16th" pieces and stuck it where wind can get in , hold helmut up to light ,if you see light then wind can get in there , dont know how guys ride up here with MX helmuts 

We use duct tape on our face on open spots.  I learned that trick in 1995 from the nice owner of the Breault Motor Inn (Quality Inn) New Liskeard. Never a problem anymore. Before that I had frost bite so bad it was ridiculous.  Before you guys bash me. It was -42 and very windy and the full face helmet I had on didn't have an electric shield therefore the air got in because I had the shield cracked open a little.

Its tricky to nail what works best, everyone has to find what works for them.

I always run a neck cover unless its warm in march, the balaclava is a big help when the mercury drops

i ride an mx helmet with goggles and a neckwarmer. Very warm. I had a modular last season and it was much colder. Trick was finding a good helmet to goggle fit and then just really cover up any bare spots with a buff. 

Good helmet and find where it leaks. You can take your helmet in a dark room and shine a flash light inside. It you see any light around the visor you can use the foam tape as mentioned to seal it. Vasoline will stop the frost bite as it provides a second layer of protection.

RR

Spend the money on the best helmet.  It makes or ruins your day.  Bombardier Mod 2 is hands down the best.. Don't even need an electric visor.  Breath mask is vented to the outside so breathing is easy.  If you ride with glasses this is a must.

slomo has the right idea. A good face cream works well. With all the hard side blowing its tough to keep everything tight. Vaseline also works well, many uses, ask VR700!! :icon_doh: :icon_doh: maybe not! :tongue:

Not trying to pee on anybody's wheaties, but is the Skidoo modular both Snell and DOT safety rated?I really think it works great for the no fog set up but if it doesn't hold up in a crash what good is it?Just sayin...

i dont beleive any modular flip up helmet is snell rated, due to the chin bar hinge area failing in a frontal impact.

i know these helmets are popular, and easy to use but, they are heavier, and WILL break open in a frontal impact. they also can and will leak more air causing the issue the OP is talking about.

personally i would never wear one of these, just for the possibility of the chin bar failing in any impact, that you may have otherwise not had facial damage from.

if the solid mounted chin bar on a full face or MX helmet were to fail, it would be from a catastrophic front impact that you would not survive anyway.  

My .02 Ski

If it is the first bombardier modular helmet the storm mask works great. A bit to get all set up but with eye glasses and the storm mask it is warm and no fogging.

I have the same helmet and the storm mask has only been broken out a couple of times but it does work. Likely the best helmet I have ever had. I have seen a few people use duct tape as well on their exposed skin. Just make sure you don't have a lot of hair for it to grip. It's amazing how the wind will find those little cracks.

Archived