North Adventure Inn Cochrane

M-10 Ultra

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was riding in Cochrane with Doonut a few years back, went to turn around (slightly off trail) and promptly buried my sled. There was 42" packed base for trail. It was April 16th. It all depends on how long the snow (and more importantly, ice crossings) hold up.

If you make it over to Hearst or Kap, let me know, I'd like to bump into y'all if the occasion arises. Might consider a day trip over to Kap, budget permitting.

Keep me in mind.

Awesome base out this way too, less snow than Cochrane but still plenty. Took a ride last night, 65km's on the "A" and some local trails. The local trails had been groomed earlier that day, as well as the West portion of the "A" that we touched. It's still snowing lightly tonight, windy, and cool. It's gonna drift up the trails again, meaning good news for us !

If you make it over to Hearst or Kap, let me know, I'd like to bump into y'all if the occasion arises. Might consider a day trip over to Kap, budget permitting.

We'll likely head to Kap Friday or Saturday for lunch ... I'll mssg you.

• 10 months later...

It's been just over a year since I started this thread.  Has anyone stayed at NAI this season?  Any improvements?  It seems like they had hired someone to manage the place, but now she is gone?  Is that true?  We're heading up in March and I'm looking for some first hand reports.

I saw Brad is back for another season, so his presence can definitely add some laughs to the stay.  Hopefully Candace is still there. :-D

Thanks.

I haven't read anything here or elsewhere. I'm thinking folks are just avoiding the place.

Spoke to some locals at the show in October.  It seems that Doreen is no longer there and she is the one that was trying to make things better.  Apparently, the management was not interested in cleaning up their act (or the rooms).

Long and short, it was not recommended.

Personally, I can say that it was not terrible when we were there in April, there certainly were cleanliness issues both in the rooms and the restaurant.

I will not be back until there is a marked improvement reported by people that I know.

Spoke to some locals at the show in October.  It seems that Doreen is no longer there and she is the one that was trying to make things better.  Apparently, the management was not interested in cleaning up their act (or the rooms).

Long and short, it was not recommended.

Personally, I can say that it was not terrible when we were there in April, there certainly were cleanliness issues both in the rooms and the restaurant.

I will not be back until there is a marked improvement reported by people that I know.

a big X2..

• 1 month later...

I figured I should follow up with a report of how things went at NAI a couple weeks ago.  Here it is...

I contacted Rocky about 4 weeks beforehand to reserve rooms, but more importantly to feel out the situation. He acknowledged that the place's reputation needed repair, and he seemed to be doing the right things. I asked "Are the usual characters from last year there again? Like Brad and Candice?" He said yes. I explained that we were looking to do an overnight to Hearst during our stay, and could we work a deal to leave our stuff there at a reduced rate. He said yes. Knowing that he needed business, he offered us the lofts for $110 each plus tax, and he agreed to let us leave our stuff in our rooms, at no charge, for the night we went to Hearst. It was hard to argue with a deal like that. So I booked two rooms with Rocky for four nights, and we were only going to pay for three nights. Great, right?

So a few days before we leave, I call Rocky because I saw the reports that Brad left and the restaurant would be closing soon. I ask "Will your restaurant be open during the time we will be there?", the answer was yes.

We arrive on the afternoon of March 8th. As soon as we walk in the place, we are greeted by the sign that says the restaurant will be closing for the season at 9AM on the 9th. While checking in with Rocky, I ask him if his restaurant is open, he says yes. Of course, I had to drag the real answer out of him, even though the sign was visible from where we were having our conversation. Finally he confesses the restaurant is closing. We start asking about Candice and the rest of last year's wait staff. Turns out none of them returned for this season. As a matter of fact, the only people working there after 9AM the next day would be Rocky and his Dad. The list of BS just kept getting longer....

On the plus side, with a gentle reminder, we got our 4 nights for the price of three. The rooms were decent, and the heated garage is definitely the best thing going for them. We never bothered going into the bar, as all we would have found was Rocky. Instead, we hung out in the garage with some other riders and drank our own beers.  Taxi rides into town was our only choice for food as driving ourselves wasn't safe or legal.

All in all, it was a disappointment. I can't imagine that the place will be open next year. It must cost a fortune to heat that place, and there were only 2 other rooms occupied on the last night we were there. Not a good recipe for success.

So sad really. That place used to be THE spot to stay in Cochrane. I think snowmobilers are people with simple needs. Give us a reasonably clean room, a restaurant with good food and a bar with a cute barmaid or two and we will be a happy bunch. The heated garage would be icing on the cake. Mix in some other riders, tall tales of fast sleds, and you have yourself a party. And with enough alcohol, maybe even a good fight or two! I don't need a 5 star hotel, and I sure as hell don't want to pay for a 5 star hotel.

I would only recommend staying there if you are happy with an average room, solitude and warm storage. Unless you get in your car or take a taxi to town, that is all you get.

I wish I was independently wealthy and the kids were grown.  It would be fun to buy that place and return it to its former glory.  I'd only charge $50 a night, have hot waitresses and barmaids, and build a garage that is 10 times as big as the current one.  OK, I know, dream time is over.

Frankly, I'm amazed that any of those restaurants and motels are still open up there. Only a couple of trailers in any of the motel lots, and barely anyone in the restaurants. I can't imagine how they survive.

Good review,m-10.I figured thats how it would be late in the season.I remember when you couldn't get a seat in the bar.What a great time that was!I agree on the comment about low numbers of sledders,we were up there the last week of February and hardly saw 10 riders all day.

The truck fuel alone would cost me 700 or so to go to cochrane and back home.!Add in

Meals, room, etec it gets pricey! Not cheap anymore! It is a tough business for sure, especially when the south has good snow.

The truck fuel alone would cost me 700 or so to go to cochrane and back home.!Add in

Meals, room, etec it gets pricey! Not cheap anymore! It is a tough business for sure, especially when the south has good snow.

Not sure what your driving, but thats not what it costs us for gas. And if it's a tough business to be in, how come the Westway, and others seem to be able to provide a decent room at a decent cost.

Thanks for taking the time to post your review M-10.

I'm a Westway lodger. Tried NAI last year and the company was way better than the accommodation. Having said that, I would've been willing to give the place another shot.

Not now. Not after the reports from this year.

Westway; Tim Horton's for breakfast; troika for dinner (Ice hut; Terry's; JR's Ribs).

It really is too bad this place has spiralled into it's current state. I have such fantastic memories of that place, mostly from the late 90's or early 2000's. (ok, mostly foggy memories)

... getting back from a ride to no space in the garage, calling ahead to make sure to keep a dinner ready for us, shooting pool till??, needing reservations weeks in advance, meeting Bill Froud, plus tons of riders from the US and the old SnowmobileWorld forum, replacing pistons in the garage.

Some nights you coud barely fit into the bar/lounge, people would be there from all over, bench racing and buying each other beers ...

On our recent RAP ride we briefly talked about pooling our coin and buying it ... but it would be difficult to get your money out with only a 3 month period where you get any return. I dont think its a popular stop with the ATV-ers or the hunting/fishing crowd.

I suppose with the right marketing you could make a go of it ...

Not sure what your driving, but thats not what it costs us for gas. And if it's a tough business to be in, how come the Westway, and others seem to be able to provide a decent room at a decent cost.

I think he's full of bs....and likes the sound of the clacking of his keyboard.....maybe one day there will be a post that actually makes sense....

It really is too bad this place has spiralled into it's current state. I have such fantastic memories of that place, mostly from the late 90's or early 2000's. (ok, mostly foggy memories)

... getting back from a ride to no space in the garage, calling ahead to make sure to keep a dinner ready for us, shooting pool till??, needing reservations weeks in advance, meeting Bill Froud, plus tons of riders from the US and the old SnowmobileWorld forum, replacing pistons in the garage.

Some nights you coud barely fit into the bar/lounge, people would be there from all over, bench racing and buying each other beers ...

On our recent RAP ride we briefly talked about pooling our coin and buying it ... but it would be difficult to get your money out with oly a 3 month period where you get any return. I dont think its a popular stop with the ATV-ers or the hunting/fishing crowd.

I suppose with the right marketing you make a go of it ...

X2....it is very sad about this place.... I can remember when John built it..it was his pride and joy...

I think he's full of bs....and likes the sound of the clacking of his keyboard.....maybe one day there will be a post that actually makes sense....

Thank god there's someone out there who thinks the same as me!.. Thanks Nunz..

I was by the old Schnitzel House (north of Apsley). It was a decent dinner destination on the Paudash trails. It's basically a place looking for a fire. The current owner is an American from Illinois who inherited from the last person who had ran it. It's been several years since it was open.

Thank god there's someone out there who thinks the same as me!.. Thanks Nunz..

Ever owned a motel! It is a tough business for sure! Maybe the westway is a second generation family with lower costs. I trailered to bracebridge in feb, cost me 185 bucks in truck fuel alone on 400km round trip! Cochrane is over 3 times the distance and fuel is about 10 cents more a litre up there.

Ever owned a motel! It is a tough business for sure! Maybe the westway is a second generation family with lower costs. I trailered to bracebridge in feb, cost me 185 bucks in truck fuel alone on 400km round trip! Cochrane is over 3 times the distance and fuel is about 10 cents more a litre up there.

so you owned a motel now? Which one and when?

so you owned a motel now? Which one and when?

I think he might have a chicken motel, likely second generation.

It's a tough business for sure and we had a decent reputation. You get 1 year which is good then maybe 2 years when it is terrible. This year would have been a disaster with all the snow down south. You can make a living at it but thats about it. We make more money working at other jobs than we ever made running this place and don't get as burned out. We are happy just to be living here and not have the worry as to when and where the business will come from.

On the bright side for all you sledders the snow will probably last well into April.

Rod

Archived