North Adventure Inn Cochrane

M-10 Ultra

Well, a report from January 7th wasn't favorable regarding the hopeful improvement of NAI. A guy recently posted to the Polar Bear Riders Facebook page that he just had a good experience. Has anyone else been there over the past couple weeks? I'm heading to Cochrane next Saturday, and I really want this place to have turned the corner.

Any more insight out there? Thanks

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've stayed at the Westway, closer to town. Clean motel, next to Tim Horton's. Walking distance to JR's ribs.

http://www.westwaymotel.ca

I leave it up to others who've recently stayed a NAI to comment, but notice you have a long drive ahead of you from Buffalo and want to provide an alternative in case you need it.

Have a great trip.

have a back-up plan in place just in case as Canuck said

Was up in Cochrane January 12th to 16th after the thaw. Stay at the Westway.

We ate at the North Adventure on two occasions and the food was awesome. Brad the new cook whipped up some wings and fries one night complete with (6) different gravy bowls of wing sauce. The fries were excellent.

The second time our group had the prime rib, steak and walleye, all was very good. Brad is a total hoot and very entertaining.

The guys at NA are really trying hard to win back there customers, I would not hesitate to go back and give them a try with the new management.

Kaz

We've stayed at the Westway, closer to town. Clean motel, next to Tim Horton's. Walking distance to JR's ribs.

http://www.westwaymotel.ca

I leave it up to others who've recently stayed a NAI to comment, but notice you have a long drive ahead of you from Buffalo and want to provide an alternative in case you need it.

Have a great trip.

The Westway was my original plan, but I'm holding out hope for NAI. Is JR's a place to have a few beers with fellow sledders? Or just to eat? I've always stayed at Lillabelle, so I haven't had a need to look for dinner in town.

The Westway was my original plan, but I'm holding out hope for NAI. Is JR's a place to have a few beers with fellow sledders? Or just to eat? I've always stayed at Lillabelle, so I haven't had a need to look for dinner in town.

JR's is a restaurant specializing in BBQ ribs. Sledders do go there. Another new spot that is good is the "Ice Hut". Haven't been there for a while though.

dont stay at the north adventure. Hasnt changed since last year. was up there boxing day. food was okay but rooms were there same as last year. stay at the westway or thriftlodge

Last season we ate at the ICE HUT. Great place, awesome food..Run by a mom and her daugthers.. :drool-1:

It was the suana by the time you left eh? I hope to make it up in march, if there is snow left.

I chickened out and just booked 4 nights at the Westway starting Saturday. Maybe we'll go to NAI for dinner one night and ask to see a room for research sake.

Can't go wrong with a Timmy's next door! Thanks for the input.

Last season we ate at the ICE HUT. Great place, awesome food..Run by a mom and her daugthers.. :drool-1:

I was in Cochrane this past weekend (Jan. 18, 19, 20, 21) and had dinner at the Ice House, great food but poor service, maybe we caught them on a bad day, but the snotty attitude we received was no fun. I will never go back.

Stayed at Westway and did 2 different nights at JR's, great staff and great food. You can get a taxi from the westway to JR's for 5 dollars.

BTW, trails were great!

Max

Years ago the North Adventure inn was the place to go in the winter. What happened ?

@ Max, did you come through Hearst on your trip ? Didn't have many tourists through the shop last week.

we had the same service at the ice hut also MM , we will not go back either , stayed at westway , ate supper at JRs ,breakfast at the train station ,

Years ago the North Adventure inn was the place to go in the winter. What happened ?

@ Max, did you come through Hearst on your trip ? Didn't have many tourists through the shop last week.

It changed hands. Not sure if the owners had any experience in the hospitality industry from the online reports. New owners as of last fall.

Now that's interesting. Didn't realize that it changed ownership again in the autumn of '12.

Let's hope that the new owners do well.

Now that's interesting. Didn't realize that it changed ownership again in the autumn of '12.

Let's hope that the new owners do well.

When I bought my permit from the OFSC booth @ the T.O. show 1 chap behind the counter said to another that the person just walking away was the new owner of the NAI.

Not to steer original post off schedule, we stayed at NAI last year, liked the convenience of all in 1 stop sleep and food since we were on a saddlebag trip. Kind of last minute trip to Cochrane last week and we (me the travel planner for my group) chose Westway purely based on comments from this board.

Did the canyon loop on Saturday (saw 3 sleds all day), headed to Hearst on Sunday stopping at smoothies, moonbeam club house and kapakasing because it was frigid (meet a group on trail and a group was at Kap). Saw my first moose. Stayed at Companion Sunday night and headed back to Cochrane on Monday with a slight detour down C trail to A106C and back in because it was frigid (saw a group of 5 or 6 headed north on C trail.

I'm seeing conflicting reports,one says new NAI owners,the other says not.Has anybody stayed there this year with first hand reports?I will not stay there if its the same owners.The Westway is a great place to stay,but the convenience of the NAI is great,too.

When I bought my permit from the OFSC booth @ the T.O. show 1 chap behind the counter said to another that the person just walking away was the new owner of the NAI.

Yeah, actually talked to the guy. The fact that he would make the trip to Toronto speaks positively.

Wish people would give owners some time to make improvements. Having done a business case on a proposed purchase in the Parry Sound area where price was somewhat reasonable, the day to day cost of running a business, servicing the debt incurred to purchase, plus all the other government costs / inspections doesn't leave much for infrastructure improvements, unless you've got a fairy godmother who can do this with a sweep of her magic wand.

I hear lots of complaints about places - some simply race related on another forum- but nothing concrete as to whether feedback to owners took place, or these complaints were from a bunch of louts who didn't have it any better at home.

Ok...Yes new owner's BUT they do not live there...VJ that was around towards the end last yr is running the show....the internet has hurt no doubt BUT VJ has a plan so he says....Brad is in the kitchen and will do anything for u...grub is good but a little pricy ,loft rooms and igloos are 140 a night dont know about the others,there is a 3 bedroom apartment avail too for week long stays for 175 per nite but week long stays only...heated shop is full of yamahas ever night so us DOO boys have some fun...all in all I would give it a try again..our group rolls in we either eat there,somewhere in town or we are out in the shop with the BBQ keeping the yamaha's warm. :cheers:

thanks for the update Lep , always liked the meals Brad made , whos cooking at the camp this Year ?, If I had a Doo I would leave it outside too :icon_blah: :icon_blah:

Archived