North Adventure Inn Cochrane

M-10 Ultra

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what is the going rate for the westway now ? It's been a couple years since we were there

Yeah, actually talked to the guy. The fact that he would make the trip to Toronto speaks positively.

Wish people would give owners some time to make improvements. Having done a business case on a proposed purchase in the Parry Sound area where price was somewhat reasonable, the day to day cost of running a business, servicing the debt incurred to purchase, plus all the other government costs / inspections doesn't leave much for infrastructure improvements, unless you've got a fairy godmother who can do this with a sweep of her magic wand.

I hear lots of complaints about places - some simply race related on another forum- but nothing concrete as to whether feedback to owners took place, or these complaints were from a bunch of louts who didn't have it any better at home.

I understand what youre saying,but dirty rooms(looked like they had been dirty for awhile,not from the last renters)and the fact that the owners family acted like we were bothering them when we were checking in or out is not acceptable to me.I hope the new owners turn it around,I love that place.

Westway was $113.57 a night all taxes included for a double, just looked at my bill.

Maxx

thanks for the update Lep , always liked the meals Brad made , whos cooking at the camp this Year ?, If I had a Doo I would leave it outside too :icon_blah: :icon_blah:

New guy at the camp...good guy forget his name....from cochrane injured veteran.

• 5 weeks later...

I am also interested in what you think about the "new and improved" NA. We are planning our trip to Cochrane next year and now that our favourite place - "Lillabelle Lodge" - is no longer an option - we will be looking for alternate accommodations. I have never stayed at NA - always Lillabelle - but in the past I know there used to be good reviews of that place. I sure hope that they turn it around and make it a viable option for places to stay in Cochrane :D

Just stayed at NAI Feb 9th - 16th Ken the owner (VJ just passed away) and Bobby running things. Very personable, friendly service. Asked if we needed anything daily when we had breakfast....even kept them up one night in the bar til 2:30 am (was a hoot) All in all I rate this experience absoloutely fantastic definately going back next year. I really enjoyed not having the cheesy motel feel, very social place good place to meet new friends!

P.S. the snowmobiling was phenominal! Thank god for the hottub. 1400 kms that week.......

I talked to a couple that stayed at NAI last week. They said the owners are trying hard but need some more help. Trying to do too much on their own. We are up in Cochrane now so thought I'd drive in and have a peak and glad I had 4x4 to get in driveway. Building looked nice enough from what we could see outside. One of the workers(may have been the owner I think) was standing outfront so I gave a big friendly wave, but he must not of seen me as I got nothin back from him. Both motels we stayed @ were great and recomended here. Westway and Swan Castle Inn. There is alarge vacation house someone rents up here, if you had a group it would be nice. The pics are really nice. If someone were interested I will find the name as I forget what it was called at the moment.

Booked a loft room at NAI for Mar 2nd for the wife and I. Will see how it turns out. No Jacuzzi rooms left.

Someone cancelled and we got the jacuzzi loft, wife is happy. Heading out tomorrow morning, Can't wait!

Someone cancelled and we got the jacuzzi loft, wife is happy. Heading out tomorrow morning, Can't wait!

If you spin up to Hearst, come & see me at the Ski-Doo dealership.... here 'til 5:30, off for the weekend.

Good one Lep.

Keeping the Yamaha's warm, lol

Well.....I'm not exactly sure where to begin. I had heard that the NA had a new owner so we decided to give them one more try this season, as last year's stay was definitely below standard. My group stayed at the NA about a week and a half ago and it was a COMPLETE JOKE!!!! The worst I've ever seen from ANY hotel/motel. We arrived after a day of riding and went down to the restaurant for a few "pops" and some dinner. While there was plenty of LaBatt Blue, it was all in cases sitting on the floor as no one had bothered to put it in the cooler earlier in the day. That's fine, I'm not that picky. Our bartender/waitress then gave us menus and proceeded to tell us that approximately 75% of the menu was unavailable. Apparently, the owner refuses to buy anything but the bare minimum of food. We inquired into hamburgers and she said there were three available. No, not three different types of burgers. THREE PATTIES!!! At that point I was pretty irritated and asked if there was taxi service so we could go into town for something to eat. She gladly arranged a ride for us, and had to do that for another party the night before due to the same situation.

After a good meal in town......(I don't want to turn this into a commercial for another place but the "Ice Hut" proved to be a great operation with good food and cold beer. Neat, clean, and we sat and talked with one of the owners for several hours. I am DEFINITELY going back there)........we returned to the NA. The heater had quit working in my room and it was pretty chilly. I notified the staff and he said he would take care of it. Since there was hardly anyone staying there that night, I figured they would move me to a new room. Instead, he wheeled in a small, portable heater that plugged into the wall. Really??? I guess I could have demanded another room but I was afraid if I started in on these guys who knows how it would have ended up. Well, it could barely keep the room at 60 degrees but I survived. I just placed the heater next to the bed and threw the comforter over the top of it.

Another couple of things......I'm not really sure how two different colors of facial tissue end up in a box?? Interesting to say the least. Also, apparently the "NO SMOKING" policy for my room is not enforced, as it was obvious from the first second I entered the room.

I cannot imagine that this place will be in business much longer. I have stayed there many times in the past but will NEVER stay there again. I don't care if it's free room/food/beer. I will absolutely NEVER go in there again.

I guess the good thing that came out of us is that I found a great place to eat and drink with the Ice Hut. The Westway looks like it's pretty accessible from the trail. Does anyone out there have any other recommendations for accomodations?

We stayed @ the Thriftlodge a few years ago, but the rooms looked like they needed some attention.

The Chimo has had a bad rep' for years.

The Best Western is nice but I think the prices reflect that too.

Other than the stay @ the Thriftlodge, we always stayed @ Lillabelle, unfortunately Rod & Kim have closed.

Has anyone stayed @ the Golden Gate Motel? It's on Hwy 11 just south of town.

We stayed @ the Westway for a nite a week ago, as recomended here and it was very suitable for sledders. Clean, trail right out back, timmys right next door. We also spent 4 nites at the best western, it was great too. Fairly easy trail acess too, once you do it once. As for food, yes the Ice Hut was excellent as was JR's. The NAI I can't say as I've not been there and really not going to chance it,although some do have good experiences there. Just wish Cochrane wasn't 10hrs away!!!

We always stay at the Bestwestern .With our CAA discount it is 125.00 a night, with a great continental breakfast. Yes it is more money, but we use the sauna and hottub. We can walk to the liquor store, grocery store and the many resturants. The price does reflect that it is a higher standard in Cochrane.

The wife and I stayed at the North Adventure Inn this past Saturday and had a great time. Follow the "A" trail west out of Cochrane a short way then south on trail A106C less than a km.

We got the honeymoon loft and appreciated the comfortable heat from the gas fireplace as well as enjoyed the heart-shaped hot tub a couple times. Everything I saw was clean and in good shape. Now, I'll admit, the building is a little dated but so am I. If those walls could talk, I'm sure many great stories would be told.

The food was great, we both had pickerel for supper Sat night, lemon baked something or other for the wife and blackened for me. We got it with baked potatoe and salad; dressing was awesome and must have been homemade. Sunday morning's breasfast was tasty with perfectly cooked bacon. I noticed the eggs benedict special too late or I would have ordered that, my favourite.

Ken and staff were very hospitable and full of energy. I spoke briefly with the lady that will be helping to manage the place and she has experience running hotels.

I also spoke to a lot of sledders there and only heard good things.

I'm sure I'll be back!

Sounds like you had a great time Ultrafrozen :D It's amazing how there are so many conflicting reports about this place :S I sure hope they can get their S%$T together as it's always nice to be able to stay someplace and have the restaurant right there and convenient. We are heading to Cochrane again for our annual trip next year - I will look forward to see how they improve themselves over the next year ;)

Great to hear, Ultra.

We were at the opposite end of town (Westway) on Friday night and had dinner at JR's Ribs / Tim Horton's for breakfast.

It was a one block walk to JR's and the sheilas in our group (no names) complained about the walk. Maybe we'll try NAI next year.

Sounds like you had a great time Ultrafrozen :D It's amazing how there are so many conflicting reports about this place :S I sure hope they can get their S%$T together as it's always nice to be able to stay someplace and have the restaurant right there and convenient. We are heading to Cochrane again for our annual trip next year - I will look forward to see how they improve themselves over the next year ;)

Great to hear, Ultra.

We were at the opposite end of town (Westway) on Friday night and had dinner at JR's Ribs / Tim Horton's for breakfast.

It was a one block walk to JR's and the sheilas in our group (no names) complained about the walk. Maybe we'll try NAI next year.

Yes Giddy, had a great time. We ended up riding back to Kirkland Lake with another KL couple we met up there. Apex and Vector so the ride was quick. I was surprised with Wife and the Phazer as she had no problem keeping up to the "speed limit" and the Joneses on most trails.

Canuck, keep in mind what level of "newness" the Sheilas are used to. Mine doesn't mind camping in the rain and getting dirty on the ATV. The age of the facility might deter some but I enjoy a little character and history. I also prefer the smell of good food, wood and varnish to that of plastic. I really liked the old newspaper articles in the lobby.

Thanks for the review updated review Ultra.

There is a bunch of us heading up later in the month ... untill now accommodations hadnt been decided. I didnt really care where I stayed but others hadn't had the NAI "experience" and wanted to try it. Your feedback will add some confidence to the decision.

MD

Hello from the North Adventure Inn: I am the New General Manager for the North Adventure Inn. I am sure many of you sledders that have stayed at Thriftlodge might remember me. I always tried to be helpful and will do the same here at the North Adventure Inn. Please do not hesitate to give me a call anytime and I will be happy to help you in anyway that I can. I have only been here a few days and have made quite a few friends already so please give me a chance if you are new to the area. Have a great day. Doreen

4/5ths of the way through our spring break away. The North Adventure Inn has not changed that much inside except the people have. They have been extreemly helpful and make you feel wanted here. Ken wanders through and talks with everyone. Doreen will be a welcome addition for sure with this her first week. If you are already booked somewhere else, do youself a favor and show up here for the food. Brad is in the kitchen and his culinary expertise is second to none. Order the steak and you cant find better at Hye's, Mortons or Harbour 60. Its a snowmobilers ambiance but the food is unbelievable. Extra generous portions and cooked the way its ordered. The rooms are comfortable and the sleds are kept warm inside at night. We spent last night at the Companion in Hurst where the rooms may be a bit nicer, the storage a bit bigger but the food is just adequate.

There was no shortage of service, or supplies at the North Adventure this time!

Cheers

Archived