North Adventure Inn Cochrane

M-10 Ultra

It's a tough business for sure and we had a decent reputation. You get 1 year which is good then maybe 2 years when it is terrible. This year would have been a disaster with all the snow down south. You can make a living at it but thats about it. We make more money working at other jobs than we ever made running this place and don't get as burned out. We are happy just to be living here and not have the worry as to when and where the business will come from.

On the bright side for all you sledders the snow will probably last well into April.

Rod

Hi Rod, good to see you hangin around the forum. I hear you on the southern snow, we couldn't keep up with the grooming, there was so much traffic, it was unbelievable. I talked to people that did travel a bit though, and they said traffic in the more northern districts was nonexistent, they just wanted to get away from the rat race around here. The last 2 weeks we where open the traffic really slowed, it seems southerners have a time frame and dollar figure for sledding, and when they reach that, the show is over.

My season just really started 3 weeks ago, the only sleding I had done was trail inspection. I will be up in your area this week, and I can't wait....it looks like I will still have a decent season, and I get long days and warmer weather.....can't beat that.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rod, Al and I did a RAN tour from the doorstep here in Apsley. It was the 2nd week in Feb' & didn't really notice an overabundance of sleds.

There probably have been a lot of folks that would normally have trailered north & sledded that have been able to ride from the house or cottage. 

Normally it's pretty hard to book time off & plan a trip in southern Ontario. Mother Nature usually has a way to screw up those plans. 

Hope you & Kim are doing well!

Kris

It's a tough business for sure and we had a decent reputation. You get 1 year which is good then maybe 2 years when it is terrible. This year would have been a disaster with all the snow down south. You can make a living at it but thats about it. We make more money working at other jobs than we ever made running this place and don't get as burned out. We are happy just to be living here and not have the worry as to when and where the business will come from.

On the bright side for all you sledders the snow will probably last well into April.

Rod

Hey Rod,good to see u here!! Sure miss staying at LLR!! Miss u guys as well,say hi to Kim 4 me

It's a tough business for sure and we had a decent reputation. You get 1 year which is good then maybe 2 years when it is terrible. This year would have been a disaster with all the snow down south. You can make a living at it but thats about it. We make more money working at other jobs than we ever made running this place and don't get as burned out. We are happy just to be living here and not have the worry as to when and where the business will come from.

Rod

Double post,time to put down the Rum

We never stayed @ the NAI, Our group stayed @ LLR several times & always enjoyed our times there seeing Rod & Kim & meeting the other sledders. The were great hosts.

I think if you buy a motel & possess no people skills, your business is going to suffer. Before the internet word of mouth could affect a business (good or bad) eventually. Nowadays, EVERYONE can see a bad review & it'll affect business immediately.

I think if you buy a motel & possess no people skills, your business is going to suffer. Before the internet word of mouth could affect a business (good or bad) eventually. Nowadays, EVERYONE can see a bad review & it'll affect business immediately.

That would go with any business where you're dealing with people, not just motels.

Would like to add that due to experiences this year with certain places, next year will look first at those that support sledding, but unless the service and attitude are there, will be spending my money based on those criteria, sponsors or not.

I give credit to those of you who fervently check the paper OFSC map before selecting a place to dine or sleep. 

Noticed that some folks plan trips based on map sponsors. Way to go!

Things 'can go wrong', as Slomo notes, but at least folks try to start with map sponsors.

Good to hear from you Rod ... I hope all is well with you and Kim ... please say "HI" for us.

MD (two light Mike)

Hey Rod, good to know you are still keeping an eye on OC. Hope all is well with you & Kim. The cruisers miss your hospitality.

Archived