Gowganda,Matachewan, Elk Lake Area

Gowganda Lake Camp

Dont lie Giddy , you planned it that way LOL

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KL maps available here: http://www.kirklandl...om/Welcome.html See Maps link at top right. Dated but mostly good. L116 south of town closed but not required.

Easiest to go west to the Macs from KL Inn. You can head north on Station Road right from the hotel and loop back to Macs (first left onto Nipissing Lane then first left onto Tweedsmuir, follow to Macs at Gov't Rd). Always snow covered.

Speedy Rental directly south of the KL Inn on Station Road is still open but has closed the gas pumps.

Yes, Canadian Tire is also somewhat easy to get to. From A110Q south of town, take exit B listed on map (may be signed for Comfort Inn) to take you on L107 to the CTC gas bar. The trail is not a straight shot anymore but follow it to road at exit D. Turn left on road heading north and left again at end of road. Enter trail to CTC within sight.

MacPherson's Esso (http://www.northon11.com/) just north of Kenogami is trail accessible and sled friendly. Easier to get to than Kenogami gas station but no restaurant.

thanks for the info.

Dont lie Giddy , you planned it that way LOL

:blush: Busted!!! LOL.

Trail Update Feb.12

We picked up a few more inches of snow over the past few days and the grooming tractor in Gowganda is back in action. With this new snow all trails should groom up really nice.

A107c from Gowganda to Elk Lake is Green with a few sections of logging (snow is on the road still )

A107c from Gowganda to C trail near Shining Tree. (same )

A trail north of Elk Lake. Is green and being groomed

C106a is good, limited for brushing

L136 is good, limited for brushing

If the groomers keep moving everything should be really nice in a few days

Ron

Trail Update Feb.12

We picked up a few more inches of snow over the past few days and the grooming tractor in Gowganda is back in action. With this new snow all trails should groom up really nice.

A107c from Gowganda to Elk Lake is Green with a few sections of logging (snow is on the road still )

A107c from Gowganda to C trail near Shining Tree. (same )

A trail north of Elk Lake. Is green and being groomed

C106a is good, limited for brushing

L136 is good, limited for brushing

If the groomers keep moving everything should be really nice in a few days

Ron

thanks for the update , looking to come down that way this weekend.

C106A doesn't come up on the interactive map I see. L136 was a beautiful run last saturday evening. We were two of only four tracks on the entire trail. Cudos to you guys too on the center section it was the best its been. Saw a baby lynx on the Gowganda side of the bush to boot!

thats were we saw the lynx too on a run last year , they dont seem to be bothered by the sleds

Hey Ron, had a good run today. Left your place up L136 to Matach over to A trail down to elk lake and back to your place then back down C trail ended up at Sportsman. 225 miles good day. Cant wait to be back for another one of Giselles meals. Thanks again. Jim

Here is the pic from last year , you guys do a good job Ron , he looks real

SAM_0330.JPG?w=AAA7LQyt2q7Yg7FtLWdjJb-CrTQeKc5PMIN1Y9ntNsySzw&dl=1

If Red X appears use this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/guknrs0tywo67v4/SAM_0330.JPG

It's 125 miles from gowganda to Sportsmans. We came across top of wanapatei on the way down.

It's 125 miles from gowganda to Sportsmans. We came across top of wanapatei on the way down.

Wow. Last time I did it, it was 110

Miles.

C trail was changed last year. I can tell you for certain I went 125 mi. Depends on exact route you take we played a little on the power line on the way down, and dropped down on wanepatei to have a look but then took trail across the top of lake over to sports mans.

Hi Ron

Thanks for the great hospitality for the night !!!!!!!!!!!!! You have a great spot up there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

The wife and I had a great sled trip to Gowganda this weekend. Trails were epic on the 'A' run from Kirkland Lake to Elk Lake where we stopped for lunch at the Eco Center, then to Gowganda Lake Camp on A107C for a great meal and a night in a clean, comfy cottage. Nothing better than the warm heat from a fire and a bottle of wine to warm up cold bones. Ron and Giselle, you are awesome cooks and great hosts (I'm sure I saw both working hard in the kitchen). Thank you both for the warm welcome and the boost to get the Phazer back to life!

We met Giddy UP and her crew getting ready for a day's ride and had a good laugh with them at breakfast, good bunch!

Heading north to Matachewan on the L136 brought us to the old C106A then on to the 'A' trail on our way home. The L136 is very scenic and worth picture stops with two or three very small creek crossings. The 5 km stretch that Ron grooms by sled drag was a blast. We layed the first tracks on freshly groomed quick trails north of these tight twisties all the way to Matach. From Matachewan to Kirkland Lake drove like Kevlar Lake with the only thing to slow us down was the freezing air whistling between my helmet and jacket collar. A half hour from home, I finally pulled out my new neck warmer and couldn't believe the difference; nice and toasty.

We ran into Spanky while taking a break at the top of L162. I want to hear about the trip.

Montreal River I think:

IMG-20130217-00174_zpsdf3b7a82.jpg

Warm cabin:

IMG-20130216-00157_zps18e98f23.jpg

Palm trees:

IMG-20130217-00161_zps379d814b.jpg

nice pics & trail report...glad you had a great time...cottage looks pretty nice...cool meeting other members too...thx

Glad you had a great trip Ultrafrozen. Thanks for keeping my cabin warm.

Glad you had a great trip Ultrafrozen. Thanks for keeping my warm.

Did you mean to say " Thanks for keeping my cottage warm."? Were you booked there Sunday night?

Did you mean to say " Thanks for keeping my cottage warm."? Were you booked there Sunday night?

Yes I did. I edited my post.

So funny reading this thread. The boys and I stayed in that cabin Friday night. What a great experience! I'm gonna do a full write up on the loop we did family day weekend when I have a few more spare minutes.

Trail Report Feb. 19

I think Ultrafrozen hit on most of our trails. We were supposed to get 20 cm's of snow but looks like most of it went around us.

The A107c from Gowganda to C trail near Shining tree and from Gowganda to Elk Lake is in good condition

The L136 between Gowganda and Matachewan is in good condition

The C106A from the L136 to the "A" trail is in good condition

The "A" trail from Elk lake toward Kirkland is in good condition

All of the grooming tractors are up and running so everything is getting groomed on a regular schedule. The temps were warm today but winter is returning tonight

Ron

Ron,

I passed you last sunday I beleive it was grooming the middle section of L136 I was on the doo that crossed the river infront of the cat! That section is the best its been in years. Easily our favorite trail.

Ron,

I passed you last sunday I beleive it was grooming the middle section of L136 I was on the doo that crossed the river infront of the cat! That section is the best its been in years. Easily our favorite trail.

Thanks Jamie... I didn't notice it was you . Supposed to get colder during the day again by wed/thurs, should be able to go through again . One of my fav's too.

Ron

Archived