Gowganda,Matachewan, Elk Lake Area

Gowganda Lake Camp

glad to see the trails are in great shape for your holiday...nice pics...thx

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trails Update March 14

Winter has returned... I had - 16 C this morning on the thermometer.

The weekend was warm with some rain and the top of the trails got pretty soft, but as Art mentioned above we woke up Monday to a good 4-5 inches of fresh snow . The last couple days the temps dropped enough that the tractors could get back out and start smoothing things up again . The plan is to have everything groomed up by the weekend again and the 10 day forcast looks like winter.

A107C from Gowganda to Elk lake - Available and groomed

A107C from Gowganda to C trail near Shining Tree - available - groomed last night

L136 - Available- Should be completely groomed again by weekend.

A trail from Elk Lake toward Kirkland - Available - groomed

C106a from A trail toward matachewan - Available - groomed for weekend.

Ron

With the snow on Monday came alot of freezing rain in some areas. Art contacted everyone to let us know that the "A" trail (railbed section) Leaving Elk lake toward Liskeard was impassable for the tractor. Here are a few pics of what it looked like. Not much of a trail ... but it was Pretty.

post-19905-0-22601300-1363274706_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-96816000-1363274746_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-14204900-1363274770_thumb.jpg

Leaving Elk lake toward Liskeard was impassable for the tractor... Not much of a trail ... but it was Pretty.

Ron,

By impassable, do you mean too frozen to groom or too many downed trees?

I'm glad to see the young ones enjoying time with Dad!

That sucks. If I was off, I would come up and help the club clear some of the brush.

Thanks guys..

It was impassable because of the downed trees. Art was out the night before and met with the groomer from club echo. They made it about 5-6 km's from Elk Lake then turned back. Club Echo was coming back the day we were all out with their industrial brush cutter on the back of the tractor to cut the smaller tree's . We had to do the brush too big for the cutter. By the end of the day things looked much better , but the cutter still had not made it. I heard the tractor did make it out later.

Ron

Ultrafrozen... - boys did have a good time.

Well our last day here at Gowganda Lake Lodge and we couldn't have asked for a better experience. The accomodations and hospitality here has been second to none. The trails have been mint and the adventure for our girls has been fun. Today we hit the trail from Gowganda Lake lodge toward Shining Tree and the trail had been freshly groomed. The sun was shining and the tree tops glistened heres a few pics but they don't show truly how good things are but will give you an idea.

post-20910-0-24393400-1363313283_thumb.jpg

post-20910-0-90287200-1363313338_thumb.jpg

post-20910-0-10467100-1363313387_thumb.jpg

post-20910-0-72645200-1363313431_thumb.jpg

Great pictures! That run from Gowganda to Shining Tree and back happened to be my last ride last winter. Glad you had March Break riding up there this year.

those pics do give a idea how nice the trails are for sure...looks amazing...thx

Club echo made it out yesterday morning after fixing some issues with the brusher,

Was able to spend some time cleaning up yesterday, then Denis and his wife finished up today.

We are good to go again, 8km will not be groomed until sunday night but it is still in good shape.

Cheers Art

Art awesome pizza had to have that while we were up on holidays!

Trails were terrible last week just look what we had to work with! (sarcasam)

C trail to Sudbury

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8pba20esh1uw2s/2013-03-09%2011.55.11.jpg

L-136

https://www.dropbox....%2012.17.55.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkyrgotrpawp6t3/2013-03-15%2011.32.13.jpg

Good fishing too

https://www.dropbox.com/s/108ms18z5ykyl71/2013-03-14%2018.02.26.jpg

Judging by the sky, that wasn't Thursday or Friday. Great looking trails, though.

I just want to add a little note saying thanks to Art at Elk Cabins. The OC crew stopped in for lunch last Friday and the food is fantastic. I wish I could join SJ this weekend and stay for a few nights.

Sounds great!! On our way up. We may drop by and say Hi, Ron.

Good idea SJ. I'd like to ride over to Gowganda Lake Camp this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we are officially shutting Gem Trails down as of today

Great season and we will see you next year,

We have guys heading up this week....are the trails still okay? The only reason I ask is 3 guys from Sudbury to Timmins said trails are still okay that way.Kelly

I rode there up until Sunday, we went to Gogama via Gowganda which was perfect couldn't ask for better trails (Friday) Saturday ran down the wilderness trail and back up the C and into Gowganda again excellent shape whooped out corners but not bad. The Sandy or Grassy (always confuse the two) was pretty bare where the new C trail goes north but the bank was winged back so you could run it no problem. There is a small section on the C north though that was plowed for some reason a couple weeks back that was getting pretty bare about 3 km worth but if you were desperate can pick your way along it pretty easily. Sunday rode from cottage to Elk Lake over to power line that runs from Kirkland to Metatchewan and it was getting bad, the ice bridges were beat, the ice bridge along A107c from long point to elk lake where I swamped our commander was gone.

Plowed roads getting thin and ice bridges deterioating most of the trails out side of that still pretty good.

With the upcoming warm weather it wont take long in those areas.

Have to pull the pin at one point or another.

Archived