Gowganda,Matachewan, Elk Lake Area

Gowganda Lake Camp

Just heard the bridge was finished today.

Good to hear, Can't wait 'till she turns yellow or green. I love that Elk Lake - Earlton loop from KL.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

your web cam looks awsome Ron , looks like you will have lots of sleds there soon

GAS in Elk Lake

Just heard that the gas station in Elk Lake will be closing at 2:30 on saturdays and closed on Sundays. Not sure if they will still be offering a "call-in" for fuel.... But there is another option this year just east of the town on the "A" trail.

ELK CABINS will have gas available ... Just look for their sign on the "A" trail (railbed section ) just east of Elk Lake toward Liskeard. Much needed gas stop.. Next gas north is Matachewan , East is earlton or liskeard, West is Longpoint /Gowganda.

Ron

GAS in Elk Lake

Just heard that the gas station in Elk Lake will be closing at 2:30 on saturdays and closed on Sundays. Not sure if they will still be offering a "call-in" for fuel.... But there is another option this year just east of the town on the "A" trail.

ELK CABINS will have gas available ... Just look for their sign on the "A" trail (railbed section ) just east of Elk Lake toward Liskeard. Much needed gas stop.. Next gas north is Matachewan , East is earlton or liskeard, West is Longpoint /Gowganda.

Ron

Important info. Thanks

Wasn't the gas station a Yamaha Dealer also?

Important info. Thanks

Wasn't the gas station a Yamaha Dealer also?

Yes, "Elk Lake Work and Play" I think they are called.

Just turned from mist to snow in Earlton. Big fat flakes of joy! :)

Yes, "Elk Lake Work and Play" I think they are called.

Just turned from mist to snow in Earlton. Big fat flakes of joy! :)

Bonus for you, you could do a loop after work if you truck your sled down !

Ever consider riding to work on the sled ? I'd sure think of it !!! Love the A108 and the Englehart flatlands !

Ron those pictures are nice!

Maybe mid march riding this year. I am free from the 18th until the 24. Hope to ride the northern corridor then.

Bonus for you, you could do a loop after work if you truck your sled down !

Ever consider riding to work on the sled ? I'd sure think of it !!! Love the A108 and the Englehart flatlands !

Yes, thought about it often, Fridays I'm off at 3pm so the ride back would be in daylight at least. Still start at 7am so it's dark.

We had piles of snow overnight so the trails will be great again this weekend.

Hey 14 snow.. Thanks.. Did it ever cool back down and give you guys snow there??

In Newmarket, not, but in Muskoka, it sounds like it has. Heading up to Muskoka to this weekend to see if I can ride somewhere other than on the lake...

In Newmarket, not, but in Muskoka, it sounds like it has. Heading up to Muskoka to this weekend to see if I can ride somewhere other than on the lake...

Good luck !!! Watch the roads everyone says they are icy .

The Groomers are out up here catching up from the recent snow . :rockon:

Trails update. FEb. 4

Big week this week. There is alot going on . Everyone in the club is spread out working on different sections/trails . :woot:

The "A" trail is gettting groomed today, signed tomorrow and should be opening by wed. Kirkland lakes club is planning on doing their section of the A trail early this week that joins to ours so that major section of trail will be available soon.

A107C from Gowganda to Elk Lake was groomed last night ( trail brushing in progress this week)

A107C from Gowganda to Shining tree ( trail brushing in progress this week )

L136 has been groomed on both ends and we are breaking through the center section today ( will be able to open soon)

C106A was groomed yesterday from Matachewan to Cambell lake ( We have a new connector trail from Cambell Lake south to A107C creating another loop again ) Getting worked on this week as well.

As you can see there is much going on this week. Will keep you updated on the clubs / trails progress

Ron

Thats great news Ron, thanks for all the hardwork that you and the other volunteers do. Looking forward to all "green" on the maps and a visit to the area.

Jim

Thanks for the Update Ron , does the new connector trail Eliminate the little rough section on 136?

Hope to get up soon

MM

Trails update. FEb. 4

Big week this week. There is alot going on . Everyone in the club is spread out working on different sections/trails . :woot:

The "A" trail is gettting groomed today, signed tomorrow and should be opening by wed. Kirkland lakes club is planning on doing their section of the A trail early this week that joins to ours so that major section of trail will be available soon.

A107C from Gowganda to Elk Lake was groomed last night ( trail brushing in progress this week)

A107C from Gowganda to Shining tree ( trail brushing in progress this week )

L136 has been groomed on both ends and we are breaking through the center section today ( will be able to open soon)

C106A was groomed yesterday from Matachewan to Cambell lake ( We have a new connector trail from Cambell Lake south to A107C creating another loop again ) Getting worked on this week as well.

As you can see there is much going on this week. Will keep you updated on the clubs / trails progress

Ron

Very interested in this as we have seen and done most of it around the area something new is awesome news. Im not sure where the trail runs I see campbell lake slightly east and above grassy river and ferris lakes park is that correct? That would make an awesome loop we miss the old trail from shining tree across to metatchewan!

Thanks for the Update Ron , does the new connector trail Eliminate the little rough section on 136?

Hope to get up soon

MM

No totally different area. The L136 still has the wilderness section in the middle, but you should notice a difference this year in that section too. A little rolly but smooth.

Very interested in this as we have seen and done most of it around the area something new is awesome news. Im not sure where the trail runs I see campbell lake slightly east and above grassy river and ferris lakes park is that correct? That would make an awesome loop we miss the old trail from shining tree across to metatchewan!

We all miss that loop. Up the grassy L143 was awesome...when it wasn't plowed. You are correct . The original trail from matach c106 still exists. The new section runs up the power line from the A107C . In the fall a few of the local business owners and snowmobile club members went for an atv excursion to see if it was doable for a snowmobile trail.. It is going to be a nice trail... Would be sweet if eventually could connect to Timmins and Shining tree too. I can send you a track of the trail if you want. Don't know how to post here.

The group consisted of Urs from Auld Reekie's, Bruce from Golden Eagle Camp, Art from Elk Cabins , and myself.. Not only was it a productive day proving it will work for sledding, It was a good reason to go for an ATV tour in the fall. B)

We all miss that loop. Up the grassy L143 was awesome...when it wasn't plowed. You are correct . The original trail from matach c106 still exists. The new section runs up the power line from the A107C . In the fall a few of the local business owners and snowmobile club members went for an atv excursion to see if it was doable for a snowmobile trail.. It is going to be a nice trail... Would be sweet if eventually could connect to Timmins and Shining tree too. I can send you a track of the trail if you want. Don't know how to post here.

The group consisted of Urs from Auld Reekie's, Bruce from Golden Eagle Camp, Art from Elk Cabins , and myself.. Not only was it a productive day proving it will work for sledding, It was a good reason to go for an ATV tour in the fall. B)

Excellent if you can email me the track please! jamie.attridge@gmail.com

Are you saying the new trail has been groomed all around? I would love to scout that thursday if it is that would be sweet. Long time since we have been able to get riding up that way, you guys really need to be commended for getting that going again. I used to love how remote it was! GEMS trails and surrounding have been outstanding the last two weekends and the 890 miles on my sled in 4 days makes me smile.

Excellent if you can email me the track please! jamie.attridge@gmail.com

Are you saying the new trail has been groomed all around? I would love to scout that thursday if it is that would be sweet. Long time since we have been able to get riding up that way, you guys really need to be commended for getting that going again. I used to love how remote it was! GEMS trails and surrounding have been outstanding the last two weekends and the 890 miles on my sled in 4 days makes me smile.

No.. not yet..Like posted above should get attention hopefully later this week We are working on what is open and the A trail first.. Didn't know you were here last weekend. Watch your email

Archived