Gowganda,Matachewan, Elk Lake Area

Gowganda Lake Camp

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"A" trail from Kenogami (Kirkland Lake) towards Elk Lake has been groomed up to the Englehart river. The KL groomer met the Club Echo groomer at the intersection of "A" and L-162 yesterday. A trail even shows up yellow on the OFSC map.

Ron,

I hope your side gets done before the long weekend because I booked a cottage for Saturday night, maybe Sunday night too as soon as the wife confirms availability.

Trail Brusher we will be using soon

Nice unit, I remember that one. We took more video today of one in the shop and I'll post it when it comes available. If your club didn't take possession yet, it may be your unit, not sure. I talked to Denis L. today and forgot to ask him.

The KL club bought one a few years ago and it does a good job.

Hi Ron and Giselle,

A group of six of us is booked in to your lodge this coming Friday February 15. We are driving to Temagami on Thursday and doing a loop from Gowganda Lake up to Timmins, by Kirkland Lake to Elk Lake, then back to Temagami on the fourth day.

Couple questions:

I noticed on the OFSC map that the section on the TOP A coming from Kirkland Lake towards Elk Lake where (I assume) the new bridge install you mentioned is still red (closed). Do you anticipate this will be open by next weekend? This would be a problem if not…

I also noticed a fair size chunk of trail from your lodge up to Timmins is shown as Yellow (limited)…how are these trails? Do you anticipate them being green before our trip?

we should just miss you Spanky , we leave from Rons on Fri Morn

Hi Ron and Giselle,

A group of six of us is booked in to your lodge this coming Friday February 15. We are driving to Temagami on Thursday and doing a loop from Gowganda Lake up to Timmins, by Kirkland Lake to Elk Lake, then back to Temagami on the fourth day.

Couple questions:

I noticed on the OFSC map that the section on the TOP A coming from Kirkland Lake towards Elk Lake where (I assume) the new bridge install you mentioned is still red (closed). Do you anticipate this will be open by next weekend? This would be a problem if not…

I also noticed a fair size chunk of trail from your lodge up to Timmins is shown as Yellow (limited)…how are these trails? Do you anticipate them being green before our trip?

Hey, Spanky..regarding your concern (in bold above) about TOP A between Kirkland & Elk Lake...if that section of A is still a problem next week (unless you absolutely have to go through Elk Lake), you can avoid it altogether by going straight south out of Kirkland Lk.on A108, and pick up A again at Earlton, down past New Liskeard and eventually back to Temagami.

Hope that helps...

We arrive there there Friday evening, so just missing you!

Hey, Spanky..regarding your concern (in bold above) about TOP A between Kirkland & Elk Lake...if that section of A is still a problem next week (unless you absolutely have to go through Elk Lake), you can avoid it altogether by going straight south out of Kirkland Lk.on A108, and pick up A again at Earlton, down past New Liskeard and eventually back to Temagami.

Hope that helps...

Thanks rREVerent, I saw that there was a bypass on the map, problem is that we aren't going back to Temagami that day, we are booked into Elk Lake Cabins Sunday evening. If the TOP A wasn't open it looks like there is some backtracking to get to Elk Lake, and that is already a long day for us leaving from Timmins that morning.

"A"-Trail between Elk Lake and Kirkland Lake (Kenogami) is now open. :drool-1:

It was driveable but not groomed before. I'm colour-blind but it looks green on the OFSC trail map.

I'm likely heading there Sunday if my Rouyn-Noranda, QC day trip goes well and I'll report condition.

Keep in mind Elk Lake Work N Play is open for gas Saturdays from 9am to 2pm but closed on Sundays.

Trail Update. Feb. 8

All trails are now opened , some as Green (Available ) and some still LImited ( yellow)

The "A" trail is Available ( green)

The A107C from Elk Lake to Gowganda is ( Available) Green with a small section limited as there are a few km's plowed but still snow on it for riding.

Much of the brushing is complete, still a few small sections

The A107C from Gowganda to C trail near Shining tree is ( Available ) Green with a few small sections of yellow ( some plowed with snow) and sections for brushing.

The L136 and C106A are listed as limited until we can do more brushing and widening.

There has been much work completed this week and the trails are shaping up pretty nice. The Grooming Tractors have had their share of gremlins this week but are starting to move again .

Will update again soon

Ron

"A"-Trail between Elk Lake and Kirkland Lake (Kenogami) is now open. :drool-1:

It was driveable but not groomed before. I'm colour-blind but it looks green on the OFSC trail map.

I'm likely heading there Sunday if my Rouyn-Noranda, QC day trip goes well and I'll report condition.

Keep in mind Elk Lake Work N Play is open for gas Saturdays from 9am to 2pm but closed on Sundays.

Thanks Ultrafrozen

look forward to your report. Don't make it out to that section too often.

Ron

Thanks folks! Looking forward to your reports Ultrafrozen, thanks Ron will contact you this week!

We are leaving Feb 12th from New Liskeard,via L161 L162 to the A into Kirkland Lake.., Other than Kenogami for fuel., is the Canadian Tire gas station easy to get to, or the gas station down the road from the Kirkland Lake Inn OK? ..I know we are not allowed to run Government Rd, but we would have to on the sidewalk, provided there is snow on the pavement. Any input ..Ultrafrozen?

Heading up to Ron's for the first time tomorrow. Looks like things are shaping up just in time. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heading up to Ron's for the first time tomorrow. Looks like things are shaping up just in time. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My group is heading there tomorrow also, be sure to say hi

Jim

going to be rush hr in Gowganda, give us a trail report guys

going to be rush hr in Gowganda, give us a trail report guys

We are in cochrane now but will post up a report tomorrow or Wednesday.

Heading down C trail.

Jim

if you get caught for gas you can fuel up here we are 6km south of elk lake on the a trail

Hey Art,

We will keep spreading the word. If you have another sign to put up at the "A" and A107C intersection on the river might help now that "A" north of Elk Lake is open.

Ron

Thanks folks! Looking forward to your reports Ultrafrozen, thanks Ron will contact you this week!

We were in Rouyn QC today and ran into a large group from Orangeville that had travelled the "A" trail from New Liskeard north to Kirkland Lake and reported great trail conditions. If my back feels up to it, I may take the run from KL to Elk Lake then over to Earlton and back up to KL tomorrow and report.

We are leaving Feb 12th from New Liskeard,via L161 L162 to the A into Kirkland Lake.., Other than Kenogami for fuel., is the Canadian Tire gas station easy to get to, or the gas station down the road from the Kirkland Lake Inn OK? ..I know we are not allowed to run Government Rd, but we would have to on the sidewalk, provided there is snow on the pavement. Any input ..Ultrafrozen?

KL maps available here: http://www.kirklandl...om/Welcome.html See Maps link at top right. Dated but mostly good. L116 south of town closed but not required.

Easiest to go west to the Macs from KL Inn. You can head north on Station Road right from the hotel and loop back to Macs (first left onto Nipissing Lane then first left onto Tweedsmuir, follow to Macs at Gov't Rd). Always snow covered.

Speedy Rental directly south of the KL Inn on Station Road is still open but has closed the gas pumps.

Yes, Canadian Tire is also somewhat easy to get to. From A110Q south of town, take exit B listed on map (may be signed for Comfort Inn) to take you on L107 to the CTC gas bar. The trail is not a straight shot anymore but follow it to road at exit D. Turn left on road heading north and left again at end of road. Enter trail to CTC within sight.

MacPherson's Esso (http://www.northon11.com/) just north of Kenogami is trail accessible and sled friendly. Easier to get to than Kenogami gas station but no restaurant.

Hey Art,

We will keep spreading the word. If you have another sign to put up at the "A" and A107C intersection on the river might help now that "A" north of Elk Lake is open.

Ron

HI Ron: Yes Have them but just have not had time to put them up yet

We will miss you all too......LOL....we will arrive on Saturday! Have a safe trip everyone - looking forward to our trip...... :hyper: :hyper:

Archived