Gowganda,Matachewan, Elk Lake Area

Gowganda Lake Camp

Its a sad day for me, hearing all this great winter news, I'm on the outside looking in since I dont have a sled this year.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's too bad. This may not be the best year to take off. :wtf:

Thanks again Jamie. Everyone should have one of those toys up here. Doing a little more plowing today from the 3-4 more inches we picked up on the weekend and then going to finish up between Gowganda and Elk Lake. Supposed to get more snow near the end of this week.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Jan. 15, 2013

There has been some grooming (packing) with the tractor to the north ( Matachewan area and North of Elk Lake) and some more happening this week as most of the trails on the north end are on roads. We are ready to go but still need a real good snow to do grooming because most of the trails on this end have bush sections over rocks and in ditches . Seems to be the story the last few years. We need more snow to get going but usually hold our trails longer when the melt starts in the spring. Will keep you posted as things change, but snow levels are just not there . The melt down will probably help "if" we can get a good snow, now that it is cold again many of the rocky areas will be frozen into the snow for a solid base. Keep your fingers crossed.. Supposed to get some snow this weekend, maybe we will get more than the 5-15 cm's of powder predicted. :icon_hyper: The only good thing about the low snow is that we have a bridge going in on the "A" trail north of Elk Lake heading to Kirkland this week and the access will be easy with no or limited plowing to do the job.. Club members have been busy installing new steel cleats on one of the grooming tractors and we will be busy decking the new bridge as soon as it is in place.

Hopefully more to post soon

Ron

That's too bad. This may not be the best year to take off. :wtf:

'

:ehh:

count on me and winston for a stay there when your ready Ron , thanks for the updates

Thanks again Jamie. Everyone should have one of those toys up here. Doing a little more plowing today from the 3-4 more inches we picked up on the weekend and then going to finish up between Gowganda and Elk Lake. Supposed to get more snow near the end of this week.

Ron

well did u get some snow ,,,, timmins about 8 to 10 inches,

hopeing they get the trail open to there this week.

well did u get some snow ,,,, timmins about 8 to 10 inches,

hopeing they get the trail open to there this week.

We did.... About the same 8-10 . We start grooming the trails from Gowganda tomorrow. Will post our progress .. :icon_hyper:

Ron

We did.... About the same 8-10 . We start grooming the trails from Gowganda tomorrow. Will post our progress .. :icon_hyper:

Ron

Now this is what I like to hear!

Jan. 15, 2013

There has been some grooming (packing) with the tractor to the north ( Matachewan area and North of Elk Lake) .... The only good thing about the low snow is that we have a bridge going in on the "A" trail north of Elk Lake heading to Kirkland this week and the access will be easy with no or limited plowing to do the job..

Hopefully more to post soon

Ron

Did they get the bridge installed? Where is it going?

Can't wait to take the first KL-Elk Lake-Earlton loop this year. I've never been to Gowganda so I might visit this year as I'm looking to travel a little further than Kirkland Lake area.

Ron

hows it coming down there , thanks

Can't wait to take the first KL-Elk Lake-Earlton loop this year. I've never been to Gowganda so I might visit this year as I'm looking to travel a little further than Kirkland Lake area.

Supposed to be this week. Between the intersection of the C106a and Elk Lake on the A trail

Where did you guys end up going towards Elk lake Or Shining tree?

Went toward Elk Lake. As you can see in the photo's there wasn't much snow. It is like they shut off the snow switch at Beauty Lake Road. There was lots of snow From Gowganda to Beauty Lake road and then just a few fresh inch's on top of when you packed with the BR. Very glad you guys had packed or it would have been brutal on the new cleats we just installed on the tracks. Slow going but turning out ok.. Will take some more pictures when signing . Have to do some more brushing. Here are a few pictures from today . Have to fix shield near tail on drag, It is bent in and as you can see allowing snow to pour out onto center of trail .

post-19905-0-09660200-1358904024_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-01733200-1358904050_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-20961300-1358904074_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-42014300-1358904099_thumb.jpg

Went toward Elk Lake. As you can see in the photo's there wasn't much snow. It is like they shut off the snow switch at Beauty Lake Road. There was lots of snow From Gowganda to Beauty Lake road and then just a few fresh inch's on top of when you packed with the BR. Very glad you guys had packed or it would have been brutal on the new cleats we just installed on the tracks. Slow going but turning out ok.. Will take some more pictures when signing . Have to do some more brushing. Here are a few pictures from today . Have to fix shield near tail on drag, It is bent in and as you can see allowing snow to pour out onto center of trail .

post-19905-0-09660200-1358904024_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-01733200-1358904050_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-20961300-1358904074_thumb.jpg

post-19905-0-42014300-1358904099_thumb.jpg

Nice to see some ribbons down. Hopefully the BR has made a positive impact. I bet the road from Calcite to beauty lake road was much quicker for you guys. We try out best to make it easier on the bigger drag! I'll be up tonight have to see a man in haileybury about a speeding ticket tomorrow morning!

Trails Update, Jan. 24

A107C from Gowganda to Elk Lake has been groomed and hopefully the signing will be done by the end of day Friday. It has excellent sections and it has some limited sections that need the ground brush cut . We will be working on that soon too.

A107C from Gowganda to C trail connection near Shining Tree was groomed yesterday and also should be signed by the end of day Friday. This section had more snow and was grooming up pretty good.

"A" trail North of Elk Lake toward Kirkland still waiting for the bridge install. Temps were too cold this week for them to install the bridge.

Note: From the intersection of the C106A the "A" trail has been groomed.(signing in progress )

The C106A has been groomed from Matachewan to the " A" trail and west to Cambell Lake. ( Signing in progress )

The top end of the L136 has been groomed ( will still need signing ),

Keep checking for updates :drool-1:

Ron

thanks for update.

Looks like we might get it this time :icon_snow:

http://www.theweathe...34x60_text_city

Here is what things looked like last friday during signing.

Ron

post-19905-0-72122400-1359499627_thumb.jpg

A107C between Gowganda and Elk Lake

post-19905-0-37553200-1359499648_thumb.jpg

A107C Gowganda/Elk Lake

post-19905-0-98891100-1359499666_thumb.jpg

Example of some of the Brushing still needed in sections

Just heard the bridge was finished today.

Archived