Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bbakernbay

How Many Groomers/Drags Have Been Moved North?

Recommended Posts

Correct. However the entire situation was caused by an ignorant government. A government that should have known what the reaction of natives would have been. A government that knew they were wrong, and proceeded forward even so. Just pointing out the stark differences in the situation. You are also correct in that the police do not care what goes on in the remote bush north of hearst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 The OFSC is supporting like never before and I am proud of them for the efforts. Lessons are being learned along the way but good things are happening . Last week our Tucker had a valve body fail that Tucker was backordered for 5 weeks on the OFSC allowed us to borrow one off of a unit that that they are rebuilding the tucker is now back in service never before in my over 30 years with the OFSC have I felt the support that we have now. Adrienne is learning and consulting fairly with Mike Farr two of the best heads in the grooming game in Ontario The prez Paul Murray believes in good trails and Ryan Eckhiemer (hope that I spelled that right) is open and accessible. We are not there yet but we are gaining ground quickly. The biggest issue is the lack of resources we need money period. It has been almost 20 years since the sport was properly funded.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wildbill said:

 The OFSC is supporting like never before and I am proud of them for the efforts. Lessons are being learned along the way but good things are happening . Last week our Tucker had a valve body fail that Tucker was backordered for 5 weeks on the OFSC allowed us to borrow one off of a unit that that they are rebuilding the tucker is now back in service never before in my over 30 years with the OFSC have I felt the support that we have now. Adrienne is learning and consulting fairly with Mike Farr two of the best heads in the grooming game in Ontario The prez Paul Murray believes in good trails and Ryan Eckhiemer (hope that I spelled that right) is open and accessible. We are not there yet but we are gaining ground quickly. The biggest issue is the lack of resources we need money period. It has been almost 20 years since the sport was properly funded.

Wildbill, thanks for posting your Good News about some needed changes at OFSC Barrie and managers that are pro-active in assisting when and wherever needed.

 

It seems that there has not been a need to move groomers & drags, at least not that are being talked about here on OC so I guess everything is good.

 

Hopefully this major snow event turns many more trails Green by the weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Centre Hastings club groomer has been parked in Springbrook the past 2 weeks.    Not sure if its going to move again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am somewhat surprised that there has been only 1 Groomer reported here on OC as being moved north, maybe others have been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

I am somewhat surprised that there has been only 1 Groomer reported here on OC as being moved north, maybe others have been.

Maybe they haven't needed to be moved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

I am somewhat surprised that there has been only 1 Groomer reported here on OC as being moved north, maybe others have been.

I'd be willing to bet that there has been discussion and planning by some southern Districts to be ready if help is requested. They have been there for northern clubs in the past and I don't know why that would have changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

I am somewhat surprised that there has been only 1 Groomer reported here on OC as being moved north, maybe others have been.

Club from the north requested a groomer and one from D5 was offered and then the north club in need found a better (aka closer) solution. 

 

Need to remember some equipment isnt always compatible with some trails or clubs.  The operators are some times an issue as well as you can’t just drop an operator of say a Husky into a Soucy with a bigger longer drag or a Surtrac with drag drive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Webdogg said:

Club from the north requested a groomer and one from D5 was offered and then the north club in need found a better (aka closer) solution. 

 

Need to remember some equipment isnt always compatible with some trails or clubs.  The operators are some times an issue as well as you can’t just drop an operator of say a Husky into a Soucy with a bigger longer drag or a Surtrac with drag drive. 

The float move is not that easy in some areas either.  If you require a permitted load it is 2 to 3 weeks wait for the permits.

 

And dont forget the cost of a truck to move the groomer.  A one way move to northern ontario could be $10,000.00. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sksman said:

The float move is not that easy in some areas either.  If you require a permitted load it is 2 to 3 weeks wait for the permits.

 

And dont forget the cost of a truck to move the groomer.  A one way move to northern ontario could be $10,000.00. 

and then you need to ship it back....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

and then you need to ship it back....

That eats  a lot of trail permits revenue to move one groomer for X days grooming in a different area.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Wildbill, thanks for posting your Good News about some needed changes at OFSC Barrie and managers that are pro-active in assisting when and wherever needed.

 

It seems that there has not been a need to move groomers & drags, at least not that are being talked about here on OC so I guess everything is good.

 

Hopefully this major snow event turns many more trails Green by the weekend.

I have confidence in the OFSC for the first time ever 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sksman said:

The float move is not that easy in some areas either.  If you require a permitted load it is 2 to 3 weeks wait for the permits.

 

And dont forget the cost of a truck to move the groomer.  A one way move to northern ontario could be $10,000.00. 

Up to 148 inches wide before any permit would be needed. no way it would cost 10k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zoso said:

Up to 148 inches wide before any permit would be needed. no way it would cost 10k.

true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If memory serves me correctly, some years ago the GTSA sent a groomer to Cochrane and the cost one way was about $3,000.00 . I think it worked out to about $2.50 per mile .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

If memory serves me correctly, some years ago the GTSA sent a groomer to Cochrane and the cost one way was about $3,000.00 . I think it worked out to about $2.50 per mile .

That sounds about right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, zoso said:

Up to 148 inches wide before any permit would be needed. no way it would cost 10k.

Agreed, that is just an outrageous not even close number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything over 8’6” needs a wide load permit, most tractors or groomers are at that or under.

But some drags are 9’ or over requiring a permit 

But most companies with float trailers have annual wide load permits

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:13 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

If memory serves me correctly, some years ago the GTSA sent a groomer to Cochrane and the cost one way was about $3,000.00 . I think it worked out to about $2.50 per mile .

yes the GTSA were the first to volunteer moving there  groomers around....I remember it well,sure got some peeps with big heads upset around the province....we need to invest in a float and keep things moving around the province where they are needed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Doogirl69 said:

Tall Pines in Dorset had a groomer down for a week. I don't think they had any help??

HCSA did not lend a groomer being right next door??  SAD!!  Considering they have 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, gobills said:

HCSA did not lend a groomer being right next door??  SAD!!  Considering they have 5

does hcsa noy have a pile of kilometers I think at one time they had 8 groomers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, gobills said:

HCSA did not lend a groomer being right next door??  SAD!!  Considering they have 5

As far as I know, HCSA had 2 groomers down in the week before the storm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×