Peterborough - Ontario's Newest Snowmobile Friendly Community

signfan

Things moved one step closer to making this a reality tonight.  Peterborough City council voted in favour "in principal" of the Rice Lake Snow Drifters S/C phase one proposal to extend the existing rail trail into the city limits.  Phase one if built will see a new staging area built on the city limits, and just over 2 km of new trail that will allow snowmobilers access to a 24/7 cardlock gas station (Endicott Fuels) which accepts credit card payments only.  Tim Horton's will also only be a short walk across the street for riders.  There is lots of leg work left prior to final approval from council, but things are headed in the right direction.  The rail line from Campbellford to Peterborough will also be re-named as Top Trail E-208 for this coming season recognizing the significance of having a trail into a city of 100,000 residents.  Phase two if approved in future years would see the trail access the Best Western Hotel and several other restaurants.  Lots of leg work left and no guarantees, but the club is working to make the project a reality.  Keep your fingers crossed.  Thanks to all the riders that signed the clubs petition at the sledarama a year ago.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations and Best wishes!  This would be a wonderful change!

That is some great news for that area! Great economic growth opportunity during the winter months and better access to much needed services to the sledders. Great job well done to the club and its volunteers for getting the ball rolling for your club and community. Just goes to show hard work and persistance pays off in the end. Still a lot of leg work to be done to finalize everything and for council to approve final stages but its looking good so far. Looking forward to heading over that area for a ride when is all said and done. :D

Sounds good ! - you guys have probably thought of it already, but just thinking that deputations from businesses that might benefit - motels, restaurants, etc. - on the new trail might help the cause.

Sounds good

Wow! That's fantastic. Way to go.

And after all the hard work some dipshit who has no interest in frig all will say "not in my back yard" and the whole thing will get flushed.

But I do wish you guys the best of luck

I've ridden the trail east of the Keene Road & when it's groomed, it's a nice ride. I'm pretty sure you can get thru Hasting & proceed to Campbellford.

And after all the hard work some dipshit who has no interest in frig all will say "not in my back yard" and the whole thing will get flushed.

But I do wish you guys the best of luck

Most if not all the trackage passes thru industrial/commercial. If you're on the 115 by the OPP detachment & Toromont dealership, you've gone over the bridge that passes over the trackage. Crews are currently lifting the rails in that area.

Several years ago we noticed that where the trail ended @ the Keene Rd, there was a parking area area that would make a decent staging area. Not sure what is available off the top of my head for a staging area closer to the Tims/Endicott location on Ashburnham.

This is great news. Hopefully Lindsay could also get on board and see snowmobiling is good for business. I will be looking forward to riding in the area.

Tip of the helmet to the hard working volunteers for the work they have done and the work they have yet to face for the great news.

How can hospitality businesses in "snowmobile averse" towns put up with the barriers to commerce?

Send them a picture of Bass Lake Roadhouse on a Saturday in February........that'll get everybody's attention.

How can hospitality businesses in "snowmobile averse" towns put up with the barriers to commerce?

Send them a picture of Bass Lake Roadhouse on a Saturday in February........that'll get everybody's attention.

Sledders do spend money if the trails go to the right places.

post-22473-0-67565800-1439254750_thumb.jpg

Although there is always the potential for attracting recalcitrant customers.

post-22473-0-92845900-1439254758_thumb.jpg

This is great news. Hopefully Lindsay could also get on board and see snowmobiling is good for business. I will be looking forward to riding in the area.

I think the ROW from west to east is pretty much euchred for any access thru the town. We ran it several years ago (prior to '08) & the housing then was encroaching on it then.

The "bottom" of the trail to Fenelon I think is too far from anything. Street running would be req'd.

Sledders do spend money if the trails go to the right places.

attachicon.gifbass 2.jpg

Although there is always the potential for attracting recalcitrant customers.

attachicon.gifbass 1.jpg

Perfect example is the Sprucedale Hotel.  

post-22273-0-91952400-1439299564_thumb.jpg

post-22273-0-04049600-1439299579_thumb.jpg

Boy, those are some great photos (Blake G's excepted :-P)

about two weeks ago when we were setting record highs I could have used some of those Feb temps again

Great work..

Maybe the City of Lindsey will take note.

Awesome work folks, all the best in getting to the final stagesand completion

• 2 months later...

I had my bike in for some drivetrain repairs & went for a ride to see how it felt. New chain, front chain rings & rear cassette. It shifted the chain up & down much better than before. The OEM parts weren't as good as the components in my MTB (probably 3X the price).

This is the railbed being discussed. No indication of any work being done to help w/ access to the Endicott Card lock or Tim's. I was disappointed to see that a previously vacant lot adjacent to where the trail crosses the Keene Rd has been developed into a self store it facility. Bro & I had said a few years ago it would've made a great staging area.

Former CPR (originally Grand Junction Rwy) swing bridge over Otonabee River/Trent Canal:

post-19781-0-84883300-1446002502_thumb.jpg

The Best Western motel & Carousel Restaurant are just SE of where this pic is.

Looking across Otonabee River towards the Little Lake Cemetery:

post-19781-0-65169300-1446002835_thumb.jpg

The 115 overpass as seen from the west:

post-19781-0-58120300-1446003138_thumb.jpg

At the Keene Rd crossing. Previously this was the westernmost groomed point on the Rice Lake Snow Drifters system:

post-19781-0-99313400-1446003507_thumb.jpg

post-19781-0-75158500-1446003537_thumb.jpg

post-19781-0-88985500-1446003588_thumb.jpg

As seen via Google Earth:

post-19781-0-65622900-1446005188_thumb.jpg

Archived