signfan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The trail is expected to be ready for use this winter"

Way to go!

Thanks for posting the link. 

AFAIK, sleds are still legal on the streets. Mind you the way the plowing is in Ptbo, travel by sled would be better than in a motor vehicle. In the 70s, you had to have a pennant mounted to the rear bumper.

• 4 weeks later...

Not a good development:

From today's Peterborough Examiner:

Liability snag stalls trail plan
1297354610276_AUTHOR_PHOTO.jpg?quality=8

By Joelle Kovach

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 10:12:28 EST PM

A local snowmobile club's plan to build a trail within the city limits could fall apart - even though city council had approved it.

The Rice Lake Snow Drifters have a design and a provincial grant of $130,000 to build a separate snowmobile trail alongside a section of the Trans-Canada Trail.

But now there's apparently a snag over who's liable if there were a crash on the trail.

City council said it would accept no liability whatsoever. The Snow Drifters were OK with that, but McIntyre said the city's legal department still hasn't signed the agreement.

McIntyre isn't exactly sure what the problem is. He hadn't spoken with anyone from the legal department, as of Wednesday.

Alan Barber, the associate city solicitor, said on Wednesday he couldn't discuss the matter until he got the go-ahead from the city's public works director (his client in the matter).

Meanwhile the snowmobile club could have started construction three weeks ago, had the agreement been signed. McIntyre said it matters because the $130,000 grant from the province must be spent by March 31 or it's revoked.

If the ground freezes while the Snow Drifters wait for the city to sign, he said, the chances of building the trail by March pretty much vanish.

"Our funding's in jeopardy," McIntyre said.

The new snowmobile trail would start behind Endicott Fuels, at the corner of Lansdowne St. E and Ashburnham Dr. It would run northeast to Technology Drive, and then pick up the trail that goes all the way to Hastings.

Nearly a year ago the Snow Drifters proposed to build that trail at their expense, as well as a parking lot at Technology Dr.

But city staff didn't recommend it at the time. They said the city's insurer thought it was a bad idea because it could be dangerous for pedestrians to have snowmobiles driving past.

Still, council asked staff see whether there was a way to allay the risk for the city. That happened at the urging of Coun. Dan McWilliams, who said snowmobiling is big business and Peterborough ought to get in on it.

Staff later revised its position, saying the city could agree to it if the Snow Drifters were to assume all cost as well as liability. Council approved it in November.

But at a meeting on Monday, McWilliams asked whether council could discuss changing the wording so the city accepts "reasonable risk".

Mayor Daryl Bennett said no. Council had already decided it doesn't want to expose taxpayers to any risk whatsoever, he said. Then councillors voted not to discuss the matter further.

That upset McWilliams, who said the city is taking its chances that a snowmobiler might use the Trans-Canada and hurt a pedestrian. Then the city would be entirely liable.

"We're setting up a dangerous situation," he said.

Former city councillor Len Vass isn't a member of the Snow Drifters, but he's a long-time friend of the club.

He said it's unrealistic for the city to insist on assuming no risk when they own the land.

"There's no such thing as no risk if you own the property," he said.

joelle.kovach@sunmedia.ca

I wonder how other municipalities deal w/ this situation?

The City's dilemma seems to be similar to the one faced by all landowners who agree to allow OFSC trails.

Not a good development:

From today's Peterborough Examiner:

I wonder how other municipalities deal w/ this situation?

And here I thought a signed land use permit provided the OFSC insurance coverage for the land owner... what's the problem

And here I thought a signed land use permit provided the OFSC insurance coverage for the land owner... what's the problem

It most likely does, however in the sue happy world we live in today. Even if the City holds no responsibility at all. That doesn't mean they wouldn't have to defend that position at some point in time.

Remeber,you can sled at night, drunk, get killed or injured and the courts will still award you or you faimly money. Because the corner wasn't signed correctly... or however that story went...

Problems like these are what will kill snowmobiling and ATVs in the future. I'm still waiting for someone to sue the government. After someone falls off thier boat and drowned in Trent system.. since is a pay to use waterway operated by the government..

IMHO This trail extension will not happen (hope I am wrong).

The trail that runs behind Endicott Fuels crosses Lansdown St. in Peterborough and where it heads south has been paved with center line markers. I dont know how far south it has been paved but certainly doesnt look like it is going to be a snowmobile trail.

This is just so typical of Peterborough. Anything that could possibly generate money the town fights it all the way and makes it almost impossible to set up (new business). Peterborough is full of retirees that hate change or anything that might be different.

It is almost as bad as Lindsay for anything motor sport related. Gone are the days of the Kawartha cup when every hotel and restaurant in town where booked solid in the middle of winter.

I dont think the snowmobile club should have to put up insurance coverage anyway, because what happens when a hiker, bicycle, horseback rider trips and gets hurt in the middle of summer. This is a rail trail, does the club get sued for a incident when there is no snow and everyone has open access to the trail.

Rant over 

The OFSC insurance would apply only during sledding season.

IMHO This trail extension will not happen (hope I am wrong).

The trail that runs behind Endicott Fuels crosses Lansdown St. in Peterborough and where it heads south has been paved with center line markers. I dont know how far south it has been paved but certainly doesnt look like it is going to be a snowmobile trail.

This is just so typical of Peterborough. Anything that could possibly generate money the town fights it all the way and makes it almost impossible to set up (new business). Peterborough is full of retirees that hate change or anything that might be different.

It is almost as bad as Lindsay for anything motor sport related. Gone are the days of the Kawartha cup when every hotel and restaurant in town where booked solid in the middle of winter.

I dont think the snowmobile club should have to put up insurance coverage anyway, because what happens when a hiker, bicycle, horseback rider trips and gets hurt in the middle of summer. This is a rail trail, does the club get sued for a incident when there is no snow and everyone has open access to the trail.

Rant over 

You forgot the arts & culture crowd that figures a cafe that employs 8 part time employees is just as, if not more important than a company that would employ dozens of full time employees.

I'm concerned about the paving of the trail as opposed to limestone chips. They can't even plow the streets properly (I call it "driveby" plowing). You know someone will want the trail plowed.

My rant over.

The only city/town I can think that would be similar to this would be Parry Sound.  I have only been there in the winter, but I believe most of the trails are used as cycling/walking trails the rest of the year.

Trail is too close to the citydiots. There are joint use trails all over the OFSC trail system. I know of several in North Bay and everyone gets along well.

The only city/town I can think that would be similar to this would be Parry Sound.  I have only been there in the winter, but I believe most of the trails are used as cycling/walking trails the rest of the year.

True for the in town fitness trail and the rosepoint trail as well as the Seguin trail the latter two also allow atvs 

True for the in town fitness trail and the rosepoint trail as well as the Seguin trail the latter two also allow atvs 

If that's the case, I wonder what the issue is in Peterborough?

The only city/town I can think that would be similar to this would be Parry Sound. I have only been there in the winter, but I believe most of the trails are used as cycling/walking trails the rest of the year.

Don't forget Lindsay who won't allow a 500 meter trail to run though town passing hotels, gas stations and restaurants. And force a 10km route around town driving all that sled traffic way from local businesses.

Don't forget Lindsay who won't allow a 500 meter trail to run though town passing hotels, gas stations and restaurants. And force a 10km route around town driving all that sled traffic way from local businesses.

If that's the case, I wonder what the issue is in Peterborough?

I think the problem with cities like this is, the majority of old people that don´t want there little part of the world disturbed, tree huggers and polititions that refuse to see the economic impact that the sledding industry has on the local economy. They don´t seem to realize that one of  the few things a sledder carries is their wallet.

These two cities as an example. If the cities embraced a snowmobile trail in there town sledders would purchase a sled and accessories, buy fuel,food at restaurants, motel rooms, taxi service (or uber,LOL), local bar and possibly entertainment and shopping. This all being spent at time of year when tourism is at a low. Plus the local snowmobile club would maintain the trail with grooming that walkers and cross country skiers could share and the groomers would purchase fuel and possibly stop for something to eat also.

If they only allow walkers on the same trail, what economic impact to they have on the local economy? Lets see as a walker I think I will grab my bottle of water out of the case of water I purchased at Costco on sale for $3.99 for a 48 pack, or fill a reusable bottle from the tap. Then I want the city to have my walking trail plowed, salted and sanded so I don´t slip and fall when I go out for an hour walk.

A local businessman said this to me a couple of winters ago:

When hikers come in here, I know one thing for sure. They're going to ask if we have a washroom.

When snowmobilers come in here, I know one thing for sure. They're going to get out their wallets.

When hikers come in here, I know one thing for sure. They're going to ask if we have a washroom.

When snowmobilers come in here, I know one thing for sure. They're going to get out their wallets.

That is very true.

I think the problem with cities like this is, the majority of old people that don´t want there little part of the world disturbed, tree huggers and polititions that refuse to see the economic impact that the sledding industry has on the local economy. They don´t seem to realize that one of  the few things a sledder carries is their wallet.

These two cities as an example. If the cities embraced a snowmobile trail in there town sledders would purchase a sled and accessories, buy fuel,food at restaurants, motel rooms, taxi service (or uber,LOL), local bar and possibly entertainment and shopping. This all being spent at time of year when tourism is at a low. Plus the local snowmobile club would maintain the trail with grooming that walkers and cross country skiers could share and the groomers would purchase fuel and possibly stop for something to eat also.

If they only allow walkers on the same trail, what economic impact to they have on the local economy? Lets see as a walker I think I will grab my bottle of water out of the case of water I purchased at Costco on sale for $3.99 for a 48 pack, or fill a reusable bottle from the tap. Then I want the city to have my walking trail plowed, salted and sanded so I don´t slip and fall when I go out for an hour walk.

If I read correctly council was in favour of the program and recognized the benefits but it was the works department head that came up with liability concerns not the elected council.

I have heard similar from a marina operator about the difference between a power vs a sail boater. The sail boater will use his washrooms and showers, maybe buy a newspaper and a can of pop or cup of coffee. The power boater will buy a couple of hundred $ of fuel, newspaper, stock up on supplies a bunch of groceries and probably tip the guys who helped him tie up at the dock and pumped the gas.

Archived