Wanted... Help Info... Snowmobile/ATV enclosed trailer

The Groomer Guy

hey guys..... I'm looking at maybe getting an enclosed Snowmobile/Atv trailler. What kind are you guys using and what are the best and Priced? What should i be look for? I want a tandem for sure.... looking at maybe a 7x16 or 7x18 to haul 2 long track sleds or 2 Atvs or one Side by Side atv and One Atv.

hey guys..... I'm looking at maybe getting an enclosed Snowmobile/Atv trailler. What kind are you guys using and what are the best and Priced? What should i be look for? I want a tandem for sure.... looking at maybe a 7x16 or 7x18 to haul 2 long track sleds or 2 Atvs or one Side by Side atv and One Atv.

I have a new Triton PR 147 which is a 14 foot (+5 ft V Nose) x 7 wide. I shopped around through most of the brands, and, while others were cheaper, found the Triton to be the most flexible to configure for different loads.

Here are a few points to consider / look for.

Some of the walls are 16" centers and others are 24". I think the 16" will prove to be more structurally sound over time and travel.

Only Triton and Mission have a tie down track in the floor. The systems are similar but the Mission tie downs are captive in the track and cannot be easily removed. That means that, if you need to move them after you are loaded, you may need to partially unload to reposition the anchor point. The Triton has a number of different anchor types that can be positioned easily after the trailer is loaded.

The manufacturers that do not have tracks, generally install eyes in the floor that are permanently mounted. I think this would be limiting to loading different configurations if you are concerned about securing your toys.

Triton also offers tracks for the walls that allow you to mount cabinets, racks, hangers, etc, without leaving screw holes in the walls if you want to move or remove the items.

I don't mean to be bashing the other mfrs just simply explaining my decision.

Hope it helps and good luck.

I got a new lightning all aluminium trailer last fall. I looked at trition as well. These two are most people's top chice. With northtrail after that. They ke all of there trailers with 16" centres as well. The specs from lighning was very similar to trition. It is 16'8" in length and 102" wide. They sold it to me for cost, so I saved a little over 1200 compared to the 2011 trition. It has easy lube hubs on it, great feature. Total price was 3800 (I have a buinsess so I didn't have to pay the hst) It has a ramp door and a full man door acess as well. It had 3/4" plywood it in, not particle board. I sprayed the inside with the truck box coating (rino liners)Came up really nice and they added sand in the mix for traction. Prices are coming down on the 2012's because of the high dollar. It is v-nose and pulls really nicely. They do catch the wind more then an open at higher travel speeds. I can get 3 atv's in it or 2 long track sleds and a crap load of gear. Tow vehicle is no longer crowded. There website is http://www.lightningtrailers.com. Just another option and they have been adjusting prices for the higher dollar. Cudo's for them

thank you guys for the information, Thats great Information... the more the better, I was told that there was a place near London that sold some trailers and had great prices. What you guys think about haulmark trailers? I don"t know anything about this stuff so anything you guys have to say is great help... I know you guys use them alot.

thank you guys for the information, Thats great Information... the more the better, I was told that there was a place near London that sold some trailers and had great prices. What you guys think about haulmark trailers? I don"t know anything about this stuff so anything you guys have to say is great help... I know you guys use them alot.

Most brands are good luc. I know nothing about haulmark. Look for an all aluminium trailer. Buy a trailer that suits your needs. Ie know what the payload of the trailer is and overall weight is important because it affects fuel economy. I like aluminium because it is light and doesn't rust. My trailer weighs 1100 pounds empty and can handle 2000 Ibs of cargo for a total gross weight rating of 3100 ibs. It has 3500 ib axles on it. Try to get one with 16" centres since it is more sturdy. There are so many configurations and options out there it is crazy. What is your price range?

Yeah I Know..... too many to choose... I"m going to need a taller one because I,ll need more top space for a Side by Side ATV.... I, m looking at around 6 or 7 grand for a trailler.

Why not just go wider? You can get them up to 102" or 9 feet wide?

Also be careful some manufacturers are using steel framing and aluminium body panels (to reduce costs) and calling it an aluminium built trailer.

Might want to look at Miska.

http://www.miskatrailers.com

I bought a general purpose utility trailer from them 3 years ago, well priced. Built solid, however it is not Aluminum.

Give Paul a call. Tell him Blake sent you.

Triton

1-905-838-5548

Most brands are good luc. I know nothing about haulmark. Look for an all aluminium trailer. Buy a trailer that suits your needs. Ie know what the payload of the trailer is and overall weight is important because it affects fuel economy. I like aluminium because it is light and doesn't rust. My trailer weighs 1100 pounds empty and can handle 2000 Ibs of cargo for a total gross weight rating of 3100 ibs. It has 3500 ib axles on it. Try to get one with 16" centres since it is more sturdy. There are so many configurations and options out there it is crazy. What is your price range?

While aluminum doesn't rust it does oxidize and corrode having it's own set of "different" problems. If you are buying an aluminum trailer look at where the steel meets the aluminum. This needs to be dealt with properly. Dissimilar metals (steel & aluminum) will eat away at each other. Where steel touches aluminum they should be insulated from each other. Bolts through the aluminum should be stainless since they won't react with the aluminum. This is mainly apparent where the running gear is fastened to the frame. If properly addressed and built aluminum makes a great trailer.

I've got the Triton PR-147 a 2008 model and love it. Got it in the US new. I have noticed where the axles attach to the frame one of the bolt holes has a small crack around it on the left and right side on the front axle I think. I also take the electric brakes off in the fall and clean and lube everything up as they tend to seize up after running in the crappy weather and after sitting in the off season quite a bit. Other than that it's great.

While aluminum doesn't rust it does oxidize and corrode having it's own set of "different" problems. If you are buying an aluminum trailer look at where the steel meets the aluminum. This needs to be dealt with properly. Dissimilar metals (steel & aluminum) will eat away at each other. Where steel touches aluminum they should be insulated from each other. Bolts through the aluminum should be stainless since they won't react with the aluminum. This is mainly apparent where the running gear is fastened to the frame. If properly addressed and built aluminum makes a great trailer.

I have a R&R trailer. Aluminum except for the Dexter torsion type axles and when it was built, no insulation between the pads that are fastened to the frame. After 4 years, I was changing a tire and saw that a pad was cracked. I then started checking and all were cracked.

R&R replaced all three Dexter axles with new and did a better job of insulating with plastic strips. dexter axle blaimed the lack of insulation and it has been fine since.

02Sled you are so right about this fact. I am glad you pointed it out since most who have an alumimun trail think that they have nothing to worry about and could really find themselves in a mess if the axles break away!

Yearly checks and maintenance are required.

wow thats great information guys.... thanks... I was thinking of maybe going to the 8.5 wide to make room for a side by side atv. Now I have look at on how high i will need it.

8.5 will mean more wind resistance and is also harder to see past. Just saying.

I think you need a fairly high trailer to get the side by side in, if it's like a Rhino version. Mine is a 6foot high interior but the door opening is much lower. Not sure how high you side by side is but you'll have to double check clearances.

Triton I believe now has one which is about 7.5 wide but longer to help with the sight lines and the wind resistance. It will hold the two sleds or ATV's fine. If you see them on the lot they stand out because you can see the fenders and the wheels on the outside of the trailer walls.

http://www.tritontrailers.com/products/Model.aspx?CatID=27&SubCatID=55&ModelID=489

Triton I believe now has one which is about 7.5 wide but longer to help with the sight lines and the wind resistance. It will hold the two sleds or ATV's fine. If you see them on the lot they stand out because you can see the fenders and the wheels on the outside of the trailer walls.

http://www.tritontrailers.com/products/Model.aspx?CatID=27&SubCatID=55&ModelID=489

Good suggestion, 02Sled. I know somebody who has one of those Triton TC-16's, and loves it...it's a really good combination of light weight, ease of towing (decent side visibility, reduced wind resistance), and interior functionality. :right_on:

8.5 will mean more wind resistance and is also harder to see past. Just saying.

is there a maximun in the USA,,,we can have wider here right???

michigan has the 102" max wide rule/. Luc, my best advice is, DONT GO CHEAP! research, buy the best trailer you cannot afford. (yes i said cannot) meaning, make this the best and last trailer purchase. dont buy a flip up capped unit, they will leak at some point.

there is a trailer mfg that is 20 minutes from our home called legend trailers. they are associated with beck's trailer sales in st johns michigan. they are who i bought mine from.

they have great frame designs, sizes, styles, and options for anything you can dream of. my trailer is their low rider. it has a 24" hidden beaver tail that allows almost straight in no lift into the trailer, when loading. mine is set up for bikes and has no front door.

their trail master series has a front door. that is the only thing i wished mine had. i opted for the low rider due to, i wanted the height of the trailer to match the height of the truck to avoid wind buffering. to get the front door, i would have had to went with the trailer master, then had it resized (made lower), to get it to the height of the truck. the trail master comes six feet inside.

7 foot wide trailers let you see around them. 8 foot gives you more room but, are a pain to see around without big mirrors ect.... for you i would go with a 7x18 then you can fit 2 quads, a side by side, two sleds, or probably 6 motorcycles. i have the 16 foot unit, and now wishing i had went 18. that two extra feet is more room for you to store, or be able to walk around your towables easier.

finished ceilings, walls, trim, cabinets and lighting are not "needed" BUT, they make life ALOT easier. remember, you are buying it to last, dont settle for ANYTHING, buy what you WANT. dont skimp for a few hundred bux, get what you want so you dont have to pay for more or upgrade later.

with the exchange rate in your favor, i would probably look into buying here in the states. the savings could be substantial.

my .02 ski

Archived