trail pass wanted

nova7211

i know this can sometimes be a touchy subject but here it goes anyways.

i would like to buy a trail pass that someone may have bought and now doesnt need or have use for. If anyone has one they bought before dec 1...i will give you your money back for it!

The reason i didnt get one before dec 1 myself is because i didnt have a sled at the time and didnt know if i was going to get one this season. Now i have bought a sled ,and like everyone else..... if i can save a buck and help some one out by buying there pass they have no use for , it could be a win win situation.

thanks

the permit is for the sled you got it for.Not sure how one would go about changing that?????

the permit is for the sled you got it for.Not sure how one would go about changing that?????

Usually. But not 'always'. It is possible to buy a permit without supplying the VIn. For instance, to buy before Dec 1st, some people still have not taken delivery of their Spring order sled but they still get their permit. There may be permits out there without a VIN attached.

Vin # ??? does anyone require that anymore? I bought permits from 2 clubs in Muskoka and none of the 3 are attached to any vin number or any sled in particular. Seems like most dont even ask for that info anymore. (Which is good)

I bought 3 from 2 diffent places had to suppy VINs for all 3

PM myself...mxz800...easyrider.....we all have trail permits with no vin## yet.

BTW price $250 per permit.

FYI.....MTO will not be excepting permit paperwork without it being properly filled out thats what we have been told.

FYI.....MTO will not be excepting permit paperwork without it being properly filled out thats what we have been told.

Maybe you could rent them out or something. Maybe 20 bucks a day? :right_on:

The MTO must realize that some permit buyers like myself will be and did purchase a permit without having a VIN number . Myself I never had my sled yet and dealer said no VIN number until they receive it thus no choice but to buy the permit without a VIN number . Can't give them a number that you don't have .

Not sure what the official rules are, mostly because there are several opinions without facts.

I have transferred a permit from an old sled to a new one for the $10 replacement fee.

I have NEVER been asked for my permit paperwork.

I'm sure it can be done, just not sure if it is legit.

I would rather have a sled with a grey market permit then have another sled on our trails with no permit at all.

Everyone agreed that giving a trail permit as a gift for Christmas was a good idea in the other thread, so if you are concerned you could always give your "friend" a gift of $200 for Christmas and he can return the favour with a permit for you. ;)

Not sure what the official rules are, mostly because there are several opinions without facts.

I have transferred a permit from an old sled to a new one for the $10 replacement fee.

I would rather have a sled with a grey market permit then have another sled on our trails with no permit at all.

i would definatly be sure i had a permit to ride the trails !!

It seems that it depends on when and where you are buying your permits. Some have been real sticklers about having the VIN number and others have accepted you putting down make and model.

Interestingly if you buy your permits at the Powersports Show in Toronto which I have always done in the past except this year when I bought them at our club open house they have sold them without the VIN.

I know there are people out there who ride around with them in a pocket so they can pass it around and use it on multiple sleds but when we find them out there we insist on sticking it on the sled right there.

PERMIT CHECKS

I am from Michigan, but ride as much as I can all around Ontario. Conditions usually limit the direction I go from the Soo, but excluding last season (3500 miles), I averaged over 5000 personal miles per season since 2001. My kids also ride along on many trips, but I seem to drawn to the endless new experiences all around the province.

I have been waived on after a quick glimpse of my permit about 8 times. (NO INSURANCE OR PERMIT PAPERWORK NEEDED)

I have been stopped and permit looked at along with my drivers license requested once. Something about possibly exceeding the speed limit, but when I crested the hill the OPP officer was busy showing the radar gun to a sled coming from the other direction. (just a warning!) I promise I never exceede 50 Km/hr anymore. (NO INSURANCE OR PERMIT PAPERWORK NEEDED)

My entire group was stopped by a pair of MNR officers on sleds once on the "F" Trail near Flame Lake. These guys were nice once we got to know them since we were there a long time! Every VIN was matched to every registration, permit, insurance card, and all ID's checked as well as status in your county to be sure we were there legally. They used a satellite phone to verify no issues with one of the guys in our group. (ALL PAPERWORK NEEDED!!!)

I was putting toward town along the rail line in Cochrane one morning in a 15 Km/hr zone and from behind the trees stepped an OPP officer with a radar gun and then his partner. I was just going to get gas while I killed time waiting for my buddy who likes to sleep in. I was going so slow the officer asked me why? Any other time I would have had a ticket!

(INSURANCE, ID, REGISTRATION, and PERMIT PAPERWORK NEEDED!)

Comming into Canada one night on the ice bridge from Drummond Island to St. Joseph Island my group was stopped by every possible law enforcement agency in Canada. This group of sleds was much bigger than my group. (ALL PAPERWORK NEEDED AND A REASON WHY WE COMING OVER AT NIGHT.) We were actually returning and told them we had gone for cheap beer and cheap gas.

Once at the McPhill Dam south of Wawa by OPP in a truck. While we were stopped another group we had seen at the now closed truck stop ignored their request to stop and just blew by. We had noticed they had no stickers and in speaking with them knew they were from Chicago. No action taken about them and saw them back at the ski hill in Searchmont that afternoon. (ID, and PERMIT PAPERWORK NEEDED)

I have ridden over 49,000 miles in Ontario over 10 seasons and needed paperwork 4 times! If you include the 8 "quick looks" for a total of 12 checks, you can still ride about 4,000 miles without even a sticker.

You need paperwork every 12,000 miles or so, but that would NOT BE PRETTY !!!!!

When I sell a permit I dont ask for a VIN #, just because someone didnt have their ownership or hasnt got their sled yet wont stop me from selliing them a permit. I do however suggest that they write it on their copy(green one??) when they get the info, just in case. That said I ussually forget to write it on my own as well :oops:

When I sell a permit I dont ask for a VIN #, just because someone didnt have their ownership or hasnt got their sled yet wont stop me from selliing them a permit. I do however suggest that they write it on their copy(green one??) when they get the info, just in case. That said I ussually forget to write it on my own as well :oops:

Wouldn't it be prudent to ask the purchaser for it or for them to call you back with the VIN when they get it and fill in the OFSC copies? There must be a reason for needing it or the OFSC likely wouldn't bother putting the space on the form.

i would like to buy a trail pass that someone may have bought and now doesnt need or have use for. If anyone has one they bought before dec 1...i will give you your money back for it!

The reason i didnt get one before dec 1 myself is because i didnt have a sled at the time and didnt know if i was going to get one this season. Now i have bought a sled ,and like everyone else..... if i can save a buck and help some one out by buying there pass they have no use for , it could be a win win situation.

thanks

There is no vin listed on my permit form, not even the make or model of snowmobile either. Just a trail permit number, date, my name and address and selling club and the date I purchased it. I plan to use this permit on a few sleds, hence I can only ride one at a time :-)

thanks

There is no vin listed on my permit form, not even the make or model of snowmobile either. Just a trail permit number, date, my name and address and selling club and the date I purchased it. I plan to use this permit on a few sleds, hence I can only ride one at a time :-)

Careful, that is definitely a no-no.  If it is not affixed to the sled, you could still be ticketed.

thanks

The VIN may not be listed but on the OFSC permit form there is a box titled Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). If there isn't on your form then you didn't get the proper form.

The long and short of this whole matter is that the selling clubs and clubmembers can either do the job of selling permits properly and hopefully retain the right to continue selling the permits or we can do a halfassed job and add fuel to the argument currently being discussed at the OFSC to let the permits get sold by the MTO Licensing Offices. The only problem I see with that concept is that the individual clubs may not see any new season money in their cofers until late December. You know how fast the government is giving money out. Not wonderful if you're trying to get trails ready and have no money to work with.

i hope they dont do that mto deal.............i for one do not like dealing with the mto. It always ends up being a pain in the ass in one way or another.Not to mention.if they get involved then i can see the permits going up again!

i hope they dont do that mto deal.............i for one do not like dealing with the mto. It always ends up being a pain in the ass in one way or another.Not to mention.if they get involved then i can see the permits going up again!

you can bet your a$$ on that, all the admin fees will drive the price up f sure. :unsure:

You already have to go to the MTO office each year to get your licence sticker for your sled. What's one more. The MTO also has self service kiosks in some places. That is what I use for my licence stickers for the trucks and sleds. Touch screen interface to enter the information, put in the credit card and out comes the licence stickers. Can't get much easier than that. They have all of my information on the vehicles on file. Just asks me if that is correct.

You already have to go to the MTO office each year to get your licence sticker for your sled. What's one more. The MTO also has self service kiosks in some places. That is what I use for my licence stickers for the trucks and sleds. Touch screen interface to enter the information, put in the credit card and out comes the licence stickers. Can't get much easier than that. They have all of my information on the vehicles on file. Just asks me if that is correct.

ya that is all great, but as previously noted, the clubs that need the cash to start the year will be screwed, it will take forever to get their portion of the permit sale. Not every club has a bank account north of 200k. Another point made is the cost of the permit.If it didn't go up, the clubs would get less from the sale, there needs to be admin fees, drive test and mto offices are privately run, they ain't gonna sell our permits for free.

with all that being said, I think the vin portion is a crock of crap, if the permit is valid and stuck to the sled, somebody paid for it........carry on.

Archived