OFSC at it again

02Sled

Well... they have done it again... I just received another form letter from the OFSC telling me I have a whopping $3,000.00 ADD life policy if I fill out and return the reply card with my home phone number, cell number, date of birth and email address. It already contains my mailing address. The return envelope is to the AMERICAN INCOME LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY in Winnipeg.

So much for privacy legislation and what I signed up for when I bought my permit. I did not agree to allow them to use my information for solicitation but this is a thinly veiled work around that they are giving me something as a benefit however it also includes in the letter that you can acquire an additional $10,000.00 for $2.00 for the first year but fails to tell you what it is for the second and following years.

This is nothing more than blatant marketing for an insurance company that isn't even based in Ontario. They tried this once in the fall and are now trying again. This is definitely not what I acknowledged they could use my information for. :soapbox:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also recieved the insurance letter. I really don't feel that it is appropriate for the OFSC to be sending with there log displayed. This is just a typical free insurance scam (scam in the sense of marketing to dumb people) to sell more. What would I do with $3k? That won't even buy a weekend supply of Beefeater at the rapids....

I also recieved the insurance letter. I really don't feel that it is appropriate for the OFSC to be sending with there log displayed. This is just a typical free insurance scam (scam in the sense of marketing to dumb people) to sell more. What would I do with $3k? That won't even buy a weekend supply of Beefeater at the rapids....

I just went to the OFSC website to look for an email address to contact them. Under contact us they have links all over the place but none to provide an email to them. Just an address and phone number. They sure don't make it easy.

Since I sled, support and volunteer in district 7 I sent an email to the district email address which is easily found. Hopefully they will forward it on. $3,000 in today's economy is chump change when it comes to dealing with a death in the family. I personally am well insured and if it is accidental the amount doubles which is common for most policies.

Ratner than just throw it all out I encourage everyone who objects to this to not fill in any of the contact information, run a black marker over their name and address, put it in the envelope and mail it back. When you do this the insurance company will have to pay for the return email and pay someone to open a piece of junk mail and then dispose of it. If enough people do this maybe it will stop.

3K wont even come close to the cost a decent funeral :banghead:

3K wont even come close to the cost a decent funeral BangHead.gif

I can arrange for something much less expensive.

Cement is cheap.... :twisted:

Well... they have done it again... I just received another form letter from the OFSC telling me I have a whopping $3,000.00 ADD life policy if I fill out and return the reply card with my home phone number, cell number, date of birth and email address. It already contains my mailing address. The return envelope is to the AMERICAN INCOME LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY in Winnipeg.

So much for privacy legislation and what I signed up for when I bought my permit. I did not agree to allow them to use my information for solicitation but this is a thinly veiled work around that they are giving me something as a benefit however it also includes in the letter that you can acquire an additional $10,000.00 for $2.00 for the first year but fails to tell you what it is for the second and following years.

This is nothing more than blatant marketing for an insurance company that isn't even based in Ontario. They tried this once in the fall and are now trying again. This is definitely not what I acknowledged they could use my information for. :soapbox:

Do you receive Supertrax and Go Snowmobiling Magazines Gary ?

My letter had an unfortunate incident with a shredder. :twisted:

A waste of permit dollars to collate, and mail that crap out. They could have e mailed that in bulk. Personally, I would not be interested in this offer and it is my opinion that many are not either.

3K wont even come close to the cost a decent funeral :banghead:

Death benefits are covered under the auto/sled policy.

I would assume the insurance company paid for the mailers. Just relax its called advertising! That's how the world goes around!

They could have e mailed that in bulk.

I am quite thankful it came by regular mail. I cannot take anyone who sends mail through the post office seriously. Had it come through email (and made it past the spam filters), I would have been inclined to actually read it.

When you checked the box that you wanted the OFSC Benefits, you ASKED to be put on this mailing list!

I would expect that the OFSC gets some form of funding from this company and any other that provides these 'benefits'. You probably also received a discount card from Marks Workwear as well.

If you are not interested, then just throw it away, like you would if it came from XXX Insurance.

chillpill.gif

When you checked the box that you wanted the OFSC Benefits, you ASKED to be put on this mailing list!

I would expect that the OFSC gets some form of funding from this company and any other that provides these 'benefits'. You probably also received a discount card from Marks Workwear as well.

If you are not interested, then just throw it away, like you would if it came from XXX Insurance.

chillpill.gif

Exactly , the mailout information did not get sent by the insurance company , said company paid the OFSC to send it out from Barrie hence it being Bruce Robinson sending it out with his endorsement. If you choose to pursue the offer its your choice.

No freedoms have been abused here.

The OFSC is always looking for ways to get outside funding too operate this is just one of them , no permit revenue used up here.

60% of the OFSC operational budget comes from outside sources , leaving more permit money to go back to the snow.

I would gladly pay more for my permit to avoid the OFSC sharing information with the less desirable businesses that prey on consumer stupidity.

I would gladly pay more for my permit to avoid the OFSC sharing information with the less desirable businesses that prey on consumer stupidity.

As far as I recall, I believe the letter came from OFSC and the onus was on the recipient to call the insurance company and take advantage of the "offer". Didn't look like OFSC shared the information with anyone but then again, I can't go back and check because of the shredder incident. :banghead:

As far as I recall, I believe the letter came from OFSC and the onus was on the recipient to call the insurance company and take advantage of the "offer". Didn't look like OFSC shared the information with anyone but then again, I can't go back and check because of the shredder incident. :banghead:

Yes it did arrive as if it came from the OFSC. I personally think that is underhanded lame marketing from an organization such as the OFSC. Maybe we can rasie funds for Health Care by having OHIP mail out the next scam. :whatever:

Every organization attempts to maximize revenue with 3rd party aggreements. If sucessful this can limit increases in permits. Perhaps by the OFSC sending it out the personal information is maintained and only if the recipient contacts the company is the information transfered to the insurance company by their own action.

I agree i would not be interested in such a policy, but just throw it out. If the OFSC benefits financially it benefits us all by bringing in revenue as long as the personal information is maintained and not turned over which it would appear to be in this case.

Others have answered well to the post it's self ... But 02 I'm wondering about your opening sentence

"Well... they have done it again" ? Do you have some proof of the OFSC doing what you thought they just did before? If so what steps did you as a club volunteer try and take to rectify the situation so it wouldn't happen again ?

FYI to all who don't know ...

Along with club, association, district and provincial committee workshops and meetings, the OFSC annual AGM is open to each and every club member to attend, to voice their opinion and/or to just listen and educate themselves. All though in the case of the OFSC provincial AGM it is a club membership majority vote to whom carries the club membership vote and who is paid for by the club to attend, it doesn't mean one cannot attend and voice their own opinion to be heard by every voting member on the floor .... where it counts and has the greatest effect. Not only is AGM the cornerstone of how the org is run, but it's also a chance for many to learn how the org is truly run (by membership vote). Many who attend do it on their dime, just out of the interest in being there, as not only is all that was mentioned but it's also a time for club volunteers/members from across the province to share in ideas on how we do what we do, and share in some like minded camaraderie, many bring their families and make it a weekend away with close to if not more then 1000 other dedicated sledders.

Hope to see some of you there :woot::woot:

Others have answered well to the post it's self ... But 02 I'm wondering about your opening sentence

"Well... they have done it again" ? Do you have some proof of the OFSC doing what you thought they just did before? If so what steps did you as a club volunteer try and take to rectify the situation so it wouldn't happen again ?

Along with club, association, district and provincial committee workshops and meetings, the OFSC annual AGM is open to each and every club member to attend, to voice their opinion and/or to just listen and educate themselves. All though in the case of the OFSC provincial AGM it is a club membership majority vote to whom carries the club membership vote and who is paid for by the club to attend, it doesn't mean one cannot attend and voice their own opinion where it counts and has effect. Not only is AGM the cornerstone of how the org is run, but it's also a chance for many to learn how the org is truly run (by membership vote). Many who attend do it on their dime, just out of the interest in being there, as not only is all that was mentioned but it's also a time for club volunteers/members from across the province to share in ideas on how we do what we do, and share in some like minded camaraderie, many bring their families and make it a weekend away with close to if not more then 1000 other dedicated sledders.

Hope to see some of you there wootSMILEY.gifwootSMILEY.gif

The reference to again is that they sent the same letter out in the fall. Yes I did make an effort to express my displeasure. Interestingly if you go to the OFSC website they have the Barrie office address but they don't have an email for the OFSC itself when you click on contact us. They make that part difficult. There are however a number of links to the different club emails and district emails. Last fall I expressed my concern to the district 7 email address and didn't hear anything back. I have once again done the same exercise a few days ago and once again didn't hear anything back.

The reference to again is that they sent the same letter out in the fall. Yes I did make an effort to express my displeasure. Interestingly if you go to the OFSC website they have the Barrie office address but they don't have an email for the OFSC itself when you click on contact us. They make that part difficult. There are however a number of links to the different club emails and district emails. Last fall I expressed my concern to the district 7 email address and didn't hear anything back. I have once again done the same exercise a few days ago and once again didn't hear anything back.

Kinda sums it up! :rolleyes:

Along with club, association, district and provincial committee workshops and meetings, the OFSC annual AGM is open to each and every club member to attend, to voice their opinion and/or to just listen and educate themselves. All though in the case of the OFSC provincial AGM it is a club membership majority vote to whom carries the club membership vote and who is paid for by the club to attend, it doesn't mean one cannot attend and voice their own opinion where it counts and has effect. Not only is AGM the cornerstone of how the org is run, but it's also a chance for many to learn how the org is truly run (by membership vote). Many who attend do it on their dime, just out of the interest in being there, as not only is all that was mentioned but it's also a time for club volunteers/members from across the province to share in ideas on how we do what we do, and share in some like minded camaraderie, many bring their families and make it a weekend away with close to if not more then 1000 other dedicated sledders.

Hope to see some of you there :woot: :woot:

This is what's always been at the bottom of the home page on the OFSC website, if you click the "contact us" tab you will open up a genreal e-mail window to the OFSC admin offic in Barrie, where they will read your e-mail and pass it on. Snailmail, E-mail and phone# info ... I don't see where "they make it hard" here ?

District Contact Information | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact US

© 2010 ONTARIO FEDERATION OF SNOWMOBILE CLUBS.

501 Welham Road, Unit 9, Barrie, Ontario, Canada L4N 8Z6 • Phone 705-739-7669 • Fax 705-739-5005

Best bet is to always address anything by starting at the club level and if majority agrees it is carried forward to the provincial level, The OFSC staff in Barrie can't do much of anything when it comes to policy matters as they are governed by majority vote, as cannot any one entity of the OFSC.

There's only so much time in the day, week, month, year to deal with frivolous complaints, some don't get answered just because of the nature of the complaint.

The OFSC would not keep getting frivolous complaints if they would stop doing stupid crap.

There's only so much time in the day, week, month, year to deal with frivolous complaints, some don't get answered just because of the nature of the complaint.

Frivolous? What is frivolous about a permit holder voicing his concern about unpopular spending habits? Frankly every permit holder is more important than treatment like that!

Frivolous? What is frivolous about a permit holder voicing his concern about unpopular spending habits? Frankly every permit holder is more important than treatment like that!

But don't you see? You can drive hundreds of miles across the province for a predefined date and location, sometimes referred to as a club meeting, to voice the exact same message to the exact same set of people. It is clearly much more efficient and better use of everyone's time. :)

Archived