Is it still worth it ???

kennyboy

4 sleds, oil, gas, maint, permits, licenses, insurance, trailer, gear. Is it still worth it ??? <_<

i only got out three times for a good run this year, am i fustrated you bet, do i think it is worth it you bet, will i get all my permits and license next year you bet, :right_on:

4 sleds, oil, gas, maint, permits, licenses, insurance, trailer, gear. Is it still worth it ??? <_<

i only got out three times for a good run this year, am i fustrated you bet, do i think it is worth it you bet, will i get all my permits and license next year you bet, :right_on:

X2 Lucky.....our trails never even opened down here....there's always next year.... :right_on:

if you have to ask yourself that question,maybe not worth it.But for me,I look at all the pics,new and old,friends I have met and friends I have lost.Both kids cut their first teeth on a sled,as did I.It is a unique winter experiance,one that is enjoyed by a small percentage of the population.I hope my children and their children have the option to hit the winter outdoors on a sled,,,,,,if they choose to,, :right_on::right_on::mrgreen:

Yup ! :-D

Oh ya!!! :right_on:

Depends where you live and ride . For me in Southern Ontario D9 well worth it 4000km no trailering just leave the driveway and ride I have not gone north now for years ( lately more snow down here )

IS it worth it... definitely for me. It is always a value proposition. It is all relative to what you have to give up in order to have. It could be as simple as giving up extra money in the savings account or giving up dinners out in order to go sledding. No matter what you do you have a trade off.

For me sledding is quite high on the stress management. The alternative would be sitting at home after a tough week at work hibernating and watching the idiot box. There is a trail 17 that runs from the Gravenhusrt area back toward Port Severn. I was out there alone on a sunny Saturday and stopped in the middle of one of the lakes and looked around. Not a single cottage anywhere. Pure silence, and nature. You know the American Express commercials. I sat there watched about four deer run across the lake a bit further down. Priceless!!! Also a lot healthier than sitting at home.

Compare the cost to taking a family of four skiing regularly.

IS it worth it... definitely for me. It is always a value proposition. It is all relative to what you have to give up in order to have. It could be as simple as giving up extra money in the savings account or giving up dinners out in order to go sledding. No matter what you do you have a trade off.

For me sledding is quite high on the stress management. The alternative would be sitting at home after a tough week at work hibernating and watching the idiot box. There is a trail 17 that runs from the Gravenhusrt area back toward Port Severn. I was out there alone on a sunny Saturday and stopped in the middle of one of the lakes and looked around. Not a single cottage anywhere. Pure silence, and nature. You know the American Express commercials. I sat there watched about four deer run across the lake a bit further down. Priceless!!! Also a lot healthier than sitting at home.

Lets not say sledding is healthy. Its not. Yes racing snowcross is a workout. Riding along a trail is not.

Also, Skiing is cheaper. Trust me I know.

Lets not say sledding is healthy. Its not. Yes racing snowcross is a workout. Riding along a trail is not.

Shouldn't you be at a hockey game ? I believe that it is healthy . Lots of fresh air lowers your stress level and just being outside . Its all good .

Let's see... sitting in a chair in your rec room or being out in the outdoors and the fresh air on the healthy scale. While it is not strenuous exercise or a workout riding a trail it is still more activity than riding a couch. The fresh air is better for you too not to mention the mental health aspect. You also diminish the risk of SAD seasonal affective disorder.

"Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a syndrome characterized by recurrent depressions that occur annually at the same time each year. We describe 29 patients with SAD; most of them had a bipolar affective disorder, especially bipolar II, and their depressions were generally characterized by hypersomnia, overeating, and carbohydrate craving and seemed to respond to changes in climate and latitude. Sleep recordings in nine depressed patients confirmed the presence of hypersomnia and showed increased sleep latency and reduced slow-wave (delta) sleep. Preliminary studies in 11 patients suggest that extending the photoperiod with bright artificial light has an antidepressant effect."

So yes I will still say sledding is healthy.

As for cost.

Skiing

Blue Mountain Full Season Pass $912.45

Ttoal Family of Four $3,649.80

Sledding

Full Season Trail Pass $200.00

Family of Four $400.00 or $800.00 (depends on if the kids have their own sleds)

Insurance $250.00 per sled $500.00 or $1,000.00 (depends on if the kids have their own sleds)

Total either $1,300.00 or $1,800.00

That leaves a minimum $1850.00 for fuel in the sleds. As for accomodations that runs par whether it is sledding or skiing unless of course you want to stay at the ski resort which means the ski accomodation is much higher. For sledding I can go to a local restaraunt for meals and pay reasonable prices. Try getting a burger and fries at a ski resort. Mortgage your first born. They both require specialized clothing however there isn't quite the demand for stylish snowmobile suits that there is for stylish ski wear especially with the younger family members who couldn't be seen in two year old dated ski wear.

Yes there is a higher initial investment to acquire the sleds and a trailer however that is a one time expense. There is cost of maintenance on a sled but if you don't beat it up my experience has been it is minimal.

How about we figure out the factor of depression when there is no snow versus SAD or whatever you wish to put down.

As for exercise, dont sit on the couch! Get off it! You can get more exercise walking briskly for a half an hour than riding for a day doing 50km/h for 200 km. Trust me I rode fast and there was no work out.

As for dollars. You can skew it every way you wish, So I will do the same.

Sled= 10k give or take x2 (im assuming kids are riding on back)

350 in insurance x2

200 trail pass x2

200 maintenance x2 (carbides, oil sliders etc, Im pretty light here I think)

420 x2 (1600 miles at 15 mpg, rough estimate)

Total $2340.00 in rough costs, plus your sleds (10k- 20% depreciation per year for the first 4 years)2000

total $6340.00 for the first year.

Skiing

$ 1000.00 ( equipment for four $250.00 each.)

$ 2304.00 passes ( 57.00 a day at blue x2 adults, 39 x2 kids x2 days x six weekends, ALthough I ski a lot cheaper than that)

total 2304 rough costs (plus skiis or boards with a depreciation of 50%)

$2804.00

Now lets calcualate trailers, blown doo engines, misc breakdowns, (Big $$$)

Fuel to destination is a wash, meals are a wash, suits and helmets are a wash.

I was a thousand bucks on the snow per sled before I even fired it up. Not to mention cost of sled.

Its not cheaper!

Single Dad. 3 kids. They all snowboard and ski too!

Worth every penny

Its a question I struggle with every year, living down here in the banana belt & having a 2 year old at home. Its also the reason my 2 sleds are a 1998 & 2002. However, I'm quickly reminded how much I enjoy it when no matter what the season is, when I get together with my buddies the conversation quickly turns to sledding & what trips we may be able to plan the following season.

No question that this was a piss poor year for most when it comes to sledding. My schedule & mother nature this year dictated my lack of sledding for the most part, when I was free on weekends this winter there was no trails open that were reasonably close. When the trails were open other things were planned in advance, just my luck.

How about we figure out the factor of depression when there is no snow versus SAD or whatever you wish to put down.

As for exercise, dont sit on the couch! Get off it! You can get more exercise walking briskly for a half an hour than riding for a day doing 50km/h for 200 km. Trust me I rode fast and there was no work out.

As for dollars. You can skew it every way you wish, So I will do the same.

Sled= 10k give or take x2 (im assuming kids are riding on back)

350 in insurance x2

200 trail pass x2

200 maintenance x2 (carbides, oil sliders etc, Im pretty light here I think)

420 x2 (1600 miles at 15 mpg, rough estimate)

Total $2340.00 in rough costs, plus your sleds (10k- 20% depreciation per year for the first 4 years)2000

total $6340.00 for the first year.

Skiing

$ 1000.00 ( equipment for four $250.00 each.)

$ 2304.00 passes ( 57.00 a day at blue x2 adults, 39 x2 kids x2 days x six weekends, ALthough I ski a lot cheaper than that)

total 2304 rough costs (plus skiis or boards with a depreciation of 50%)

$2804.00

Now lets calcualate trailers, blown doo engines, misc breakdowns, (Big $$$)

Fuel to destination is a wash, meals are a wash, suits and helmets are a wash.

I was a thousand bucks on the snow per sled before I even fired it up. Not to mention cost of sled.

Its not cheaper!

why do you want to participate on the forum, your not a sledder anymore, all you say is negative since you got read of your sleds, i think you need another sled to get read of your stress, :right_on:

Kennyboy it's a question only you yourself can answer.

2300 miles this season for me down a about 1000, I still had the same amount of fun and spent the same amount of time with friends and family on the trail as always. Spent my season riding in districts 2,3,6,7,10 and 11 ... due to only having local trails open 1 week in Dec, 3 weeks in Jan and then last week for 5 days, a few more bucks were spent on trailering, rather then fuel in the sled getting there, but I'd of spent that either way doing something else.

Was fortunate enought to kiss off the end of the season last weekend, with a great day on local trails with great people. If I only had what I had last weekend and nothing else all season ..... for me it still would of been worth it ...

Some pic's on our club forums ...

Saturday: http://ppsc.19.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1185

Sunday: http://ppsc.19.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1188

Lucky,

You are completely wrong.................I was negative even when I had a sled! :-)

I wasnt being negative I was merely disagreeing with a post.

I dont dislike sleds, I do however think its cheaper to ski for the winter. I didnt say it was better. Because in fact, If I ever snowboarded again it would be too soon. I much prefer sledding and would pay the extra 4000.00 bucks in a heartbeat to do it. Right now sledding is not in the cards for me.

That being said, why am I not a sledder? Just because I dont have one? Well that really doesnt make sense. I'm sure there are many things in life you wish to do but cant, or dont have the time to do. I will get back into sledding again, just not right now. In fact, I would rather be a sledder without a sled than ride some of the crappy excuses for sled's that are out there.

Lucky,

You are completely wrong.................I was negative even when I had a sled! :-)

I wasnt being negative I was merely disagreeing with a post.

I dont dislike sleds, I do however think its cheaper to ski for the winter. I didnt say it was better. Because in fact, If I ever snowboarded again it would be too soon. I much prefer sledding and would pay the extra 4000.00 bucks in a heartbeat to do it. Right now sledding is not in the cards for me.

That being said, why am I not a sledder? Just because I dont have one? Well that really doesnt make sense. I'm sure there are many things in life you wish to do but cant, or dont have the time to do. I will get back into sledding again, just not right now. In fact, I would rather be a sledder without a sled than ride some of the crappy excuses for sled's that are out there.

don't it feel good to talk about your problems. :coffeespit:

My method is to refrain from investing in the sport during the years of poor conditions. I feel that I have been riding long enough now that I have a pretty good handle on the signs for which years are going to be worthwhile and which are not. I do like to keep my snowmobile around because I personally still like to play in the backyard on the few days there is enough snow, but I do no plan to put up any additional capital for things like trail permits, accessories, and trips on those years. I choose not to, but you could just as easily sell your snowmobiles on the off years, if you want to free up those resources.

So yes, it is worth it. If money is an issue, you just have to be smart with how you spend it. The added benefit to the method is that there is no depression or anxiety about the lack of snow because you have already determined that you are not going to be riding on those given years.

85 more miles of smiles on Wednesday night this week. Temps dropped at night and the trails we rode were still in quite good condition. I was even shocked that the trail into Bayfield was groomed since the week-end. Fill up the two sleds with fuel/oil, Flip a few bucks to the baby sitter and we are outside for the night on a winter week-night. Priceless for us, no way we could have more fun with our clothes on! :right_on:

Why stop at just sledding when asked the question is it worth it. What is really. Snowmobiling, ATVing, boating, the family vacation, hockey, swimming, baseball, soccer for the kids, the family cottage, eating out in restaurants. None of them are really worth it if you place a dollar figure on it. But we do anyways cause you have to live too. As for sledding, there is something for everybody, you don't have to spend 10K on a sled, there are many decent ones out for well under 4K. Still not worth it from a dollar figure, but what value do you place on it once riding, priceless! I am relatively new to the sport (yes it is a sport), and plan to be in it as long as I can. The season is now over for me and I am already looking forward to next.

Archived