LAKES - Assumed Safe (Staked by Club) - Please post here

Domino

For the short term I am not assuming any lakes are safe - staked or not.

Until we get some colder weather, I'd say this is the best approach. I cut a hole about 400' from shore in front of my house on Pickerel Lake last week-end. Actually pulled a 6" plug of ice out to look at it. There was only about 8" of ice in total, 5"-6" of good clear ice, and 2"-3" of white stuff on top. Some would say that is enough; but with currents, springs, etc it is probably inconsistant. Best to stick close to shore, for the time being.

Until we get some colder weather, I'd say this is the best approach. I cut a hole about 400' from shore in front of my house on Pickerel Lake last week-end. Actually pulled a 6" plug of ice out to look at it. There was only about 8" of ice in total, 5"-6" of good clear ice, and 2"-3" of white stuff on top. Some would say that is enough; but with currents, springs, etc it is probably inconsistant. Best to stick close to shore, for the time being.

Just got an email from a friend of mine in Port Severn. A couple of weeks ago he cut a hole in the ice in front of his cottage to get some water. He had a good 10 inches of solid ice. He went up last night and cut another hole for the same reason. It's now down to 5 inches of ice. The run off from melting snow he figures has increased current flow and between the top thaw and the bottom current has cut it in half.

Just got an email from a friend of mine in Port Severn. A couple of weeks ago he cut a hole in the ice in front of his cottage to get some water. He had a good 10 inches of solid ice. He went up last night and cut another hole for the same reason. It's now down to 5 inches of ice. The run off from melting snow he figures has increased current flow and between the top thaw and the bottom current has cut it in half.

We didn't get that much of a thaw for any snow run off ! The Trent Severn is letting the water out of Six Mile the diversionary channel for Big Chute .

If any lake is staked and assumed safe, please post here. This will help find lake information in one place.

Be Safe!!

Actually, Dom, I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that, as of tomorrow (Friday) afternoon, Hill & Gully Riders will have staked and opened the Mary Lake leg of D103B...now you'll be able to SAFELY cross it without ignoring the Closed posting on-line and the "Closed" sign on the east side of the lake...and no need to ask the locals any more, either. :poke: :P :lol:

If any lake is staked and assumed safe, please post here. This will help find lake information in one place.

Be Safe!!

Actually, Dom, I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that, as of tomorrow (Friday) afternoon, Hill & Gully Riders will have staked and opened the Mary Lake leg of D103B...now you'll be able to SAFELY cross it without ignoring the Closed posting on-line and the "Closed" sign on the east side of the lake...and no need to ask the locals any more, either. :poke: :P :lol:

They figured it was safe ,the tourists didn't fall through !

Be Safe!!

Can't recall all of the names, but all of the lakes from North Bay to Shining Tree were safe last weekend.

Tomiko

Nipissing

Trout

Kukagami

All of these were staked. Wanapitei was not staked nor safe.

Good Luck,

Horseshoe Lake

Beaver Lake

Ahmic Lake

Lake Cecebe

Clear Lake

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

PIC09826.jpg

PIC09827.jpg

PIC09845.jpg

PIC09849.jpg

PIC09850.jpg

does this one count,,,must have ran out of stakes,,,

PIC09851.jpg

now can someone tell me would is significant in this photo,,,,,,,

PIC09832.jpg

:poke: :poke: :poke:

Which Clear lake? The one next to Little Whitefish?

lakes look nice n white. suppose to go down to quiet bay hotel next weekend but we're thinking of holding off another week or two for the conditions to improve. Quiet bay is on ahmic and this is the area our summer trailer is kept. Awesome area.

Is that an oil spot where the sled went down? 8-)

It is doe lake in Katrine,,,, :rotflmao::rotflmao: ,because of all the bs with mary lake,,,I wanted to make sure certain people here would know I could reconize an unsafe lake,,,,,actually you can go around the water and come up on the beach.The duck taking off was my first clue it was not safe,,,,, :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: J/K

remember,,,keep your stick on the ice,and out of the water,,,,,, :mrgreen::mrgreen:

clear lake next to bay lake,just south of Katrine,,, :mrgreen:

Stoney Lake Sno Riders is posting on the OFSC site that Stoney & Big Cedar lakes have been staked. They have not staked Chandos yet & it states the lake is not safe yet.

In District 6:

Eganville Snow Drifters have staked Mink Lake

Bonn-Trae Sbowmobile Club has staked the Golden Lake crossing south of Deacon

FYI A real ice report the Bonn Trae club (dist 6)we have staked Golden Lake and Round Lake, the ice on Golden Lake was 15" when I checked (jan 23) and this is usually a very stable lake for ice where the trail is. I have not been on or checked Round Lake but when the trail was staked 2 weeks age the ice was 7" thick. After all the rain this week I thought the trails would be in poor condition but after a short sled trip on thursday afternoon we decided to send the groomer back out and the trails are in pretty good shape.

bmax

FYI A real ice report the Bonn Trae club (dist 6)we have staked Golden Lake and Round Lake, the ice on Golden Lake was 15" when I checked (jan 23) and this is usually a very stable lake for ice where the trail is. I have not been on or checked Round Lake but when the trail was staked 2 weeks age the ice was 7" thick. After all the rain this week I thought the trails would be in poor condition but after a short sled trip on thursday afternoon we decided to send the groomer back out and the trails are in pretty good shape.

bmax

Has the groomer been north of Deacon? Tell Peter H. if I make it up there this winter I expect the trails to be mint.

Mazinaw Powerline has staked Denbigh & Skootamatta lakes.

Maple Leaf SC lakes

Lake Baptiste has also been staked.

Mink lake has not been staked and there is open water in several places.

A sledder was taken to hospital after having a problem at the south end of the lake.

Planning a ride from Carnarvon to Oxbow lake on Fri'. Taking B & D101B up in the day time. Wondering if Raven, St. Nora & Kushog above Ox narrows are staked to run back on?

Archived