"Classic Permit" price difference?

Av42medics

I believe the intent of the classic permit was to allow those people with "antique" or "collector" sleds to ride the trails as they normally do not ride a lot and therefore the cost of permit became prohibitive for them to travel to classic sled events, etc.

It was not intended to be used for a teenagers older sled or the cottage spare. I think if anyone on any sled is using the trail system for regular riding, they should not qualify for a classic permit.

IMO 8-)

I disagree, while there are exceptions, I'll bet the majority of people with older sleds don't ride very often and/or put enough miles on to justify the cost of buying a permit. Either they would ride every now and then illegally, or the sleds sit collecting dust. I'm sure as word that the classic permit exists hits those who have been away from the sport or haven't bought a permit in the past few years we will see more older sleds on the trails. I agree that those riding on a regular basis (say over 1000km/year) shouldn't get a reduced rate based on the sled, however I presume the number of people falling in this category is quite low.

Personally I know of at least one sled that might actually hit the trails this year after not having a permit since 2000.

Moose, You running on the premise that the age of sleds dictates the amount of usage (aka Trail Mileage). I'm not sure there is a better way, however there are many "light" users with newer sleds too.

Your right the age of the sled does not dictate amount of usage, however the amount of usage can certainly dictate the age of the sled. People usually don't buy a newer sled without the intention of getting a decent amount of use out of it, whether or not they actually use it is of little consequence. There are exceptions on both sides but in the end I think at the end of the year we will see an increase in overall permit sales due to the classic permit. I think the biggest problem is getting word out to those who have dropped out of the sport.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So in 3 years a '98 Grand Touring SE qualifies?

Yes, and my point exactly. :coffeenose:

We all have the option of buying a "classic" for a few hundred buck and saving on a trail permit.....problem solved. No thanks, I will keep riding my Apex.

I 'm one of the guys who agree with this program. My brother bought a permit for his 1994 vmax 500. That's one more permit that wouldnt have been sold this year. I also have an 11 year old son who has a 1991 Phazer. He will be getting his licence next year and he will be getting a classic permit under the tree next year too. He won't have to ride fields and woods around the house anymore.

I 'm one of the guys who agree with this program. My brother bought a permit for his 1994 vmax 500. That's one more permit that wouldnt have been sold this year. I also have an 11 year old son who has a 1991 Phazer. He will be getting his licence next year and he will be getting a classic permit under the tree next year too. He won't have to ride fields and woods around the house anymore.

That's great!! A good example of additional revenue.

I also have an 11 year old son who has a 1991 Phazer. He will be getting his licence next year and he will be getting a classic permit under the tree next year too. He won't have to ride fields and woods around the house anymore.

Yes same here, when I saw the $125 deal makes me wish I had kept my 91 Indy500 last year for my son who is now 12 and tries to makes me ride behind him on my sled so he can get some drive time.

I guess what I'm getting @ is the technology of the sleds. I wouldn't want to try to ride a '90 PRS chassis from Port Perry to Bewdley, but fast forward a few years & you've got a pretty advanced sled that probably is still ridden a lot.

I guess my idea of an "antique" or "classic" sled is different. I would lump a Citation 4500 or Safari 377 into the "classic" category. I just have a hard time fitting the "higher end" sleds into that classification.

Now if the OFSC ever decides on a "antique" permit w/ an even lower price, it should be only leaf spring sleds. That would stop people from digging out 20 year old sleds (1980 now) to get a cheap permit. And trust me there would be people that would do it. I think the SS 440 would be the only HP sled that would fit in that group.

but fast forward a few years & you've got a pretty advanced sled that probably is still ridden a lot.

My 2004 is approaching 20,000kms, and I don't even go the distances many people do. I cannot imagine an older model sled that has been ridden a lot. It would have 40-50,000kms on it by now. Is anyone who uses their snowmobile beyond a couple of day trips a year honestly going to put up with a snowmobile like that to save tens of dollars?

Speaking from experience, I would also like to point out that the REV was the first snowmobile that was actually ridable. Any snowmobile that predates the REV cannot be considered to have advanced technology, or usable. ;)

Killswitch just turned 12 and got her sled licence.

She rides an 89 Citi 250. Would I have spent 200 on a trail pass for the maybe 200 miles she will actually ride on trails this winter? Prolly not. A buck and a quarter leaves me 75 bucks to fix her first icy corner oops.

So, instead of 400 bucks, the ofsc got 525 out of me this season. I think it was an idea whos time had come.

ya i still have 5 yrs to wait i have a2000 formula z 600 with 14000 km so i dont do a lot of milage but still pay 400 because my wife rides too a 2002 legend with 9000 km but i do not mind paying it because i love the sport and a lot of work go into the trails and all of the volenteers deserve a lot of thanks :D

ya i still have 5 yrs to wait i have a2000 formula z 600 with 14000 km so i dont do a lot of milage but still pay 400 because my wife rides too a 2002 legend with 9000 km but i do not mind paying it because i love the sport and a lot of work go into the trails and all of the volenteers deserve a lot of thanks :D

Great first post. :wavey:

Killswitch just turned 12 and got her sled licence.

She rides an 89 Citi 250. Would I have spent 200 on a trail pass for the maybe 200 miles she will actually ride on trails this winter? Prolly not. A buck and a quarter leaves me 75 bucks to fix her first icy corner oops.

So, instead of 400 bucks, the ofsc got 525 out of me this season. I think it was an idea whos time had come.

duck tape only $4.99 a roll

Killswitch

Love that name. Anyone who's ever ridden with their kid seated in front will recall how they get lulled to sleep and their helmet hits the .... killswitch.

:lol:

Killswitch

Love that name. Anyone who's ever ridden with their kid seated in front will recall how they get lulled to sleep and their helmet hits the .... killswitch.

Seeing as she started riding with me when she was two, I can say without doubt.....BTDT a couple hundred times :)

Rick had a red and a yellow OC hat made for her with Killswitch embroidered on them. She wears them with pride. Even wore one to her sled licence course at the PPSC.

Killswitch

yep,,,,been there done that,lots,

PIC00151.jpg

PIC00152.jpg

to this,

PIC09689.jpg

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. Whoever dies with the most toys wins the game. I won't win but I'll sure have a lot of fun playing the game.

I know my father in law is now considering getting back into sledding with his classic sled next year. He's been out of the sport for 3 years now because he couldn't justify the cost for the 3 or 4 weekend he gets out for but now makes it more affordable. I think it's a great way to get people back in the sport. Let's face it the cost of a new sled these days is not cheap.

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. Whoever dies with the most toys wins the game. I won't win but I'll sure have a lot of fun playing the game.

+1 it's not who has the most toys, it's who get to play with there toys. quote by Mario Andriette

The guy with the most toys and dies is the biggest loser, because the wifes new boyfriend gets to use them and never paid for them......If your going to die take your toys with you ...

:rotflmao:

The guy with the most toys and dies is the biggest loser, because the wifes new boyfriend gets to use them and never paid for them......If your going to die take your toys with you ...

my goal in life now is to amass a large debt,just before I expire,,,,, :rotflmao::rotflmao:

remember,he who dies with the most toys,,,,,still dies,,,,,,,and

you can always tell the age of the boys by the price of their toys,,,,, :mrgreen::mrgreen:

When I started collecting toys I thought of what happens to them if I am not around. Since we don't have any kids I have a will that gives all my toys to my nephew who is now just getting old enough to really enjoy them. Give him a head start on his toy collection. Only thing now is he may want to bump me off to get the toys.

I also have an 11 year old son who has a 1991 Phazer. He will be getting his licence next year and he will be getting a classic permit under the tree next year too. He won't have to ride fields and woods around the house anymore.

Yes same here, when I saw the $125 deal makes me wish I had kept my 91 Indy500 last year for my son who is now 12 and tries to makes me ride behind him on my sled so he can get some drive time.

I fall into this classic category as well. Last season I had three older sleds, 1990 A/C, 1990 Polaris, and a 1991 Yamaha. Here is my scenario. I paid $580 for three permits (which I have no complaints about the price of a permit). One never got put on the A/C, the Polaris saw about 120 km for the season and the Yamaha saw 36 km for the season. I have since sold two of my sleds because simply we were not using them and in my case cannot see using a newer sled any more than an older one. I simply don't have enough time to ride but wanted to keep one around in case I got the urge. In my case the classic permit kept me in the sport because if it wasn't introduced I was ready to call it quits this year which is sad because I have bought a permit or permits every year since 1983. I can understand the frustations some people have because I do know some people that put a lot of miles on their older sleds but for the average of 200-300 km I put on my sleds per year on local trails the $125 is a good price point for me. Just my two cents.

Archived