"Classic Permit" price difference?

Av42medics

Can someone explain to me the difference in this price. I dont understand how someone running a 1995 Mach 1 670 should be allowed to run just as much as me on the OFSC trails for half the price :crazy: ? The "classic" price should be for snobugs, elans, moto-ski's, Merc sno-twisters etc.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can someone explain to me the difference in this price. I dont understand how someone running a 1995 Mach 1 670 should be allowed to run just as much as me on the OFSC trails for half the price :crazy: ? The "classic" price should be for snobugs, elans, moto-ski's, Merc sno-twisters etc.

That's a fair modification to the program. Age of Sled Plus Model.

Maybe the program will be adapted over time - it's only in its first year. But that's a good suggestion.

And the Antique and Classic Snowmobile Club could be the authority to designate what is "Classic".

My thoughts are that the 15 + year sleds don't put as many miles on as the new sleds. (not that this may be true) Most of these 15+ years aren't capable of making the long distance trips that the newer sleds can. You do see a few older sleds on saddle bag tours but not as many as the newer sleds.

Just my opinion.

I don't mind the drop in price. It's also a great way to get the kids (with licenses) out on the trail on the smaller/older sleds but gives them an opportunity to get some experience.

I definately see your point. However maybe many of the older sleds most families have for company or friends (that are just being used on the lake or back roads now) that arent being registered due to the cost now will be so you are able to take a short ride into town etc.. Further to that with that ability we can perhaps get back to introducing our friends, family and children to the sport and have it grow as it it did from the 70's to the 80's and into the 90's.

elans

They made Elans into the mid 90s. Why should it get classic status, but not the Mach 1 of the same vintage?

My bad..."no elans for you!" :rotflmao: ...

That's a fair modification to the program. Age of Sled Plus Model.

Maybe the program will be adapted over time - it's only in its first year. But that's a good suggestion.

And the Antique and Classic Snowmobile Club could be the authority to designate what is "Classic".

i was once looking to buy a classic, someone said they might have one for sale uh,uh. but i did not hear back from that certain someone yes or no.

I had a new '90 Mach 1 for 5 years & I'd rather ride my '81 Elan.

Those PRS sleds are great when the trails are mint but when they get mogulled you may as well be on a Sno Cruiser, Skiroule or Scorpion.

I guess the idea is, older sleds are (for the most part) cheaper to run for most people...so a cheaper permit makes everything more affordable, which means more people can get into the sport...which means more sales (which it appears to be doing).

I believe the intent of the classic permit was to allow those people with "antique" or "collector" sleds to ride the trails as they normally do not ride a lot and therefore the cost of permit became prohibitive for them to travel to classic sled events, etc.

It was not intended to be used for a teenagers older sled or the cottage spare. I think if anyone on any sled is using the trail system for regular riding, they should not qualify for a classic permit.

IMO 8-)

I believe the classic premit was put in place for all reasons listed above.

For the family that wants to put a young teen on an older sled.

For the cottager/fisherman who never rides the trails but might if the price was right.

To help bring new riders into the sport by providing an affordable option to "test the waters".

And for the Antique and classic crowd who only ride on occasion.

Basically, the OFSC wanted to sell permits to those who weren't already buying them. Sell more permits, bring in more dollars.

The only sacrifice they made was that some of these sleds were already on the trail paying full price. We'll have to see how it all balances out at the end of the year.

Personally, I think the age is a bit young (15 years). I think 20 or even 25 would be better. I see plenty of 90's sleds out there already. Let the kids and collectors ride the old stuff with a price break. They don't put on near as many miles as the rest of us (for the most part).

I believe the intent of the classic permit was to allow those people with "antique" or "collector" sleds to ride the trails as they normally do not ride a lot and therefore the cost of permit became prohibitive for them to travel to classic sled events, etc.

It was not intended to be used for a teenagers older sled or the cottage spare. I think if anyone on any sled is using the trail system for regular riding, they should not qualify for a classic permit.

IMO 8-)

I disagree, while there are exceptions, I'll bet the majority of people with older sleds don't ride very often and/or put enough miles on to justify the cost of buying a permit. Either they would ride every now and then illegally, or the sleds sit collecting dust. I'm sure as word that the classic permit exists hits those who have been away from the sport or haven't bought a permit in the past few years we will see more older sleds on the trails. I agree that those riding on a regular basis (say over 1000km/year) shouldn't get a reduced rate based on the sled, however I presume the number of people falling in this category is quite low.

Personally I know of at least one sled that might actually hit the trails this year after not having a permit since 2000.

suck it up,it was a wise move,period,

IMO 8-)

I disagree, while there are exceptions, I'll bet the majority of people with older sleds don't ride very often and/or put enough miles on to justify the cost of buying a permit. Either they would ride every now and then illegally, or the sleds sit collecting dust. I'm sure as word that the classic permit exists hits those who have been away from the sport or haven't bought a permit in the past few years we will see more older sleds on the trails. I agree that those riding on a regular basis (say over 1000km/year) shouldn't get a reduced rate based on the sled, however I presume the number of people falling in this category is quite low.

Personally I know of at least one sled that might actually hit the trails this year after not having a permit since 2000.

Moose, You running on the premise that the age of sleds dictates the amount of usage (aka Trail Mileage). I'm not sure there is a better way, however there are many "light" users with newer sleds too.

I believe the classic premit was put in place for all reasons listed above.

For the family that wants to put a young teen on an older sled.

For the cottager/fisherman who never rides the trails but might if the price was right.

To help bring new riders into the sport by providing an affordable option to "test the waters".

And for the Antique and classic crowd who only ride on occasion.

Basically, the OFSC wanted to sell permits to those who weren't already buying them. Sell more permits, bring in more dollars.

The only sacrifice they made was that some of these sleds were already on the trail paying full price. We'll have to see how it all balances out at the end of the year.

Personally, I think the age is a bit young (15 years). I think 20 or even 25 would be better. I see plenty of 90's sleds out there already. Let the kids and collectors ride the old stuff with a price break. They don't put on near as many miles as the rest of us (for the most part).

Pay attention to Blackstars post as its pretty much bang on from what Ive been told. On top of that get the older sleds back on the trails and maybe they will say "Hey, is fun but I sure could use a better suspension, maybe I,ll buy a new sled"

As with anything, its not pefect. I know one guy who put his second old sled on the trail for his girlfriend because of the calssic permit, but never had before. I know another who would have bought a full, but felll into the classic catagory. Win some, lose some, but I think the idea is sound.

Cheers, Todd

I think the powers that be are of the assumption that a 15+ year old sled will to one of three things during the winter

1) Never Start - so no trail impact thus a great money maker for the OFSC

2) Always get stuck so the owners will not spend that much time on the trails

3) Broken down - Owner stuck finding parts for the sled for half the season does not ride trails = OFSC win

not a bad program huh

As a michigan resident I know my opinion isn't that important, I ride D5 and D9

every weekend and have for the last 9 seasons, I own 3 sleds, and to be honest, I quit

taking the family a few years ago as I only used the extra 2 permits once or twice

a year, this year the family will be riding again due to the classic permits, great deal

for me! And honestly, we will spend quite a bit on the one or two weekends at

the local motels, and restaurants, so I feel it is a winwin situation. Help the local

economy, time with the family, and a few more bucks for the trail system.

As a michigan resident I know my opinion isn't that important, I ride D5 and D9

every weekend and have for the last 9 seasons, I own 3 sleds, and to be honest, I quit

taking the family a few years ago as I only used the extra 2 permits once or twice

a year, this year the family will be riding again due to the classic permits, great deal

for me! And honestly, we will spend quite a bit on the one or two weekends at

the local motels, and restaurants, so I feel it is a winwin situation. Help the local

economy, time with the family, and a few more bucks for the trail system.

That is exactly the market we were looking for with the classic permit. Oh by the way your opinion does matter. Your a permit buyer.

It's about time OFSC came out with a plan to get more sleds on the trails... I know of 5 vintage permits bought this year from guys that have not been on the trails in years. 5 One guy hasn't seen a groomed trail in 15 years.. With the great job that are snowmobile club does on are trails around here I am sure these guys will be hooked..

I know 4 guys who have purchased the classic pass and only did because of the reduced cost.....many of my friends drive older sleds, all they can afford....we do put on the miles though....average 5 to 6000 k's a season.....soon my 97 vmax will be a classic..lol.....Diceman

soon my 97 vmax will be a classic..lol.....Diceman

From the OFSC site:

for sleds model year 1995 or older - a minimum of 15 years old.

I wonder if the cutoff will in the future remain @ 1995 or is it a floating cutoff of 15 years?

So in 3 years a '98 Grand Touring SE qualifies?

Archived