"Classic Permit" price difference?

Av42medics

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great concept but bad way of going through it

Clubs are losing $$$$

many full season permit buyers are now classic permit buyers = -$75-125 that will not go onto the trail

Cut off date should have been 1990(Leaf spring sleds built later fall into this category also)

Regular sales are down 23% in Ontario on top of alot more than expected full season permit buyers buying the $125 permit = a shortfall for clubs but on the bright side if it don't snow much clubs might be able to save

BTW how many of you have been sledding since 1990???

I know in 94 I put 5500klicks on my 86 SRV and but some miles on my 91 Indy 500 back then on the groomed trails, I bought a permit as you can rack alot more miles on a groomed trail vs a non groomed trail

Some of you guys sound like you would have never sledded before today sleds

Hell my 1980s Safaris I owned where great on GROOMED trails, sure if the trails were rough it was not as fun, but on the smooth trails it was fun and the reason we bought permits....

take a 72 Oly 335 on a groomed trail, you can have a decent day(not talking touring town to town btw) vs a 2hrs 5km up and down ride on a bush trail

Great concept but bad way of going through it

Clubs are losing $$$$

many full season permit buyers are now classic permit buyers = -$75-125 that will not go onto the trail

Cut off date should have been 1990(Leaf spring sleds built later fall into this category also)

Regular sales are down 23% in Ontario on top of alot more than expected full season permit buyers buying the $125 permit = a shortfall for clubs but on the bright side if it don't snow much clubs might be able to save

BTW how many of you have been sledding since 1990???

I know in 94 I put 5500klicks on my 86 SRV and but some miles on my 91 Indy 500 back then on the groomed trails, I bought a permit as you can rack alot more miles on a groomed trail vs a non groomed trail

Some of you guys sound like you would have never sledded before today sleds

Hell my 1980s Safaris I owned where great on GROOMED trails, sure if the trails were rough it was not as fun, but on the smooth trails it was fun and the reason we bought permits....

take a 72 Oly 335 on a groomed trail, you can have a decent day(not talking touring town to town btw) vs a 2hrs 5km up and down ride on a bush trail

Nothing is ever perfect... it doesn't exist. I ran into a family on the trail Saturday and they looked like they weren't sure where they were going so I stopped to see if I could help. Mom, Dad and the two kids each had their own sleds. The kids with classic permits. It seems Mom and Dad had the old sleds for themselves and when the kids came along they got newer two up sleds so they could take the kids along. With the kids old enough and the classic permits available they took the old sleds out of moth balls in the barn and put them on the trails. He tells me they started up after just a few pulls after sitting in the barn unused for about 6 years. Two more sleds on the trail and permit dollars. What I am seeing is an awful lot of sleds without permits or still with the 2009 permit on the windshield. Unfortunately I see them in a parking lot at a restaurant where we can do nothing about it.

In the last 4 years I might have seen 2 sleds (around here) that were in the mid to early 90, most sleds were either new or only a few years old. I know quite a few people that bought the Vintage permit that wouldn't normally but a permit. So around here the vintage pass has been a good thing IMO... The price increase and the weather has really put a damper in the sales of regular permits.. Hopefully the weather changes...

Archived