Todays Ride

Pota

Started the day in Orangeville and rode the rail bed up to Owen Sound. A nice 200 k day to kick the season off. Seriously , I couldn't believe how good the conditions were considering where we were at 2 weeks ago! Great day of riding and maybe saw 40 sleds through out the day .. no to busy at all! Nice flat trail and a lot of snow , especially as u get north . Get out and enjoy!

5585D13F-8051-498D-B05F-0C661486125B.jpeg

16A07E00-C7EB-406D-9AE0-595BFF8EC5BB.jpeg

B04304A4-58B1-4C51-8379-12172F0D6E6F.jpeg

2AEC0EA6-0241-4C6B-B94F-2D85AF711EA2.jpeg

• Like 20

Always nice to bump into fellow OC’rs on the trail! Today,  Rode from Linwood , north up to Mt Forest and loops around Palmerston and Listowel. Conditions were pretty good. Some rough patches though , not enough to stop me from going again. 😉 

A7FD27F6-D85F-4DD8-A2B6-AEA48F3632E2.jpeg

2E31D36F-37BA-44B2-84D4-CB254C68F9BA.jpeg

42CA814F-60F1-41C3-B709-F15783C05E38.jpeg

8CA785DB-5848-486F-B65B-67D4CB068966.jpeg

560CF777-D176-424F-85D9-1DEF7678C620.jpeg

• Like 10

I didnt get back out yet. I left from my house to use a trail head just a couple blocks away and it was posted "no motorized vehicles". After calling eveyone I could think to call within the cities "powers that be" I turned to the ofsc, got a number, got a call back within minuted from a local club rep. I was told it was a post by conservation authorities and that I was good to use the entrance. Seems they have a single sign for this purpose but it does not include use by snowmobiles at this particlar location. 

I decided not to go out because the local members were swarming the trails trying to get work done. Hats off to them. Seems they are making good progress. I hope to get out this afternoon.

It's happening. Happy trails folks.😊

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 9:40 PM, Pota said:

Started the day in Orangeville and rode the rail bed up to Owen Sound. A nice 200 k day to kick the season off. Seriously , I couldn't believe how good the conditions were considering where we were at 2 weeks ago! Great day of riding and maybe saw 40 sleds through out the day .. no to busy at all! Nice flat trail and a lot of snow , especially as u get north . Get out and enjoy!

5585D13F-8051-498D-B05F-0C661486125B.jpeg

16A07E00-C7EB-406D-9AE0-595BFF8EC5BB.jpeg

B04304A4-58B1-4C51-8379-12172F0D6E6F.jpeg

2AEC0EA6-0241-4C6B-B94F-2D85AF711EA2.jpeg

Ride yo side! LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My long awaited feeder trails through the tight stuff finally opened up. Rail beds and open fields were pretty decent around Owen Sound but better on the Huron side from Sauble down to Port Elgin and inland towards Durham.

I rode from the house and was commited to the previously mentioned feeder (B trail). It connects east and west  Owen Sound. Brutal...more suited for atv's or bikes. 

So bad I seeing temps in the hight 190's for about 6 kms. When I finally rolled in last night I shut it off and turned the key back on after a couple minutes and was looking at 224 temp. Back to trailering until there's atleast 2 more feet of snow around here. To much swamp land and not near enough snow for the clubs to do anything with. Valiant effort though.

• Like 1

Made it home last couple evenings on fumes and currently feel pretty beat up. lol

Open fields have been the only good trails consistantly. Bush trails have beat the runners pretty off the skis. Came home up the railbed from Markdale last night and they whooped out the whole way. You ride 10 mile an hour or 50+ mile an hour or you get beat to crap. Anything in between and you need a sports bra. Let me add that I am neither a woman or a big lad.

Had winds that made for some drifting☺️ and rode in freezing rain for a couple hours. Still put a smile on my face regardless. We definately need ALOT more snow.

Even took a couple pics this time out. lol. Not really a picture guy.

Bad pic of my iced up windshield

20240122_171512.jpg

20240122_171934.jpg

20240122_183646.jpg

20240122_174353.jpg

20240122_174400.jpg

• Like 9

I got out yesterday as well. I started in Erin and went north to Orangeville, then looped up towards Creemore. There are some very nice trails in the Mansfield and Creemore area! Lightly snowing most of  the day. Railed south from Dundalk was smooth whole way down to Orangeville aside from some minor drifting in spots. The wind was blowing pretty good so there were some rocky areas , not to many though. Groomer was out south of Orangeville but more snow is needed especially in bush as previous poster mentioned. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Pota said:

I got out yesterday as well. I started in Erin and went north to Orangeville, then looped up towards Creemore. There are some very nice trails in the Mansfield and Creemore area! Lightly snowing most of  the day. Railed south from Dundalk was smooth whole way down to Orangeville aside from some minor drifting in spots. The wind was blowing pretty good so there were some rocky areas , not to many though. Groomer was out south of Orangeville but more snow is needed especially in bush as previous poster mentioned. 

We rode from orangeville on the weekend and trails above shelburne were decent ,322 was really nice .Might head there today .

• Like 5

could be last day for a while to ride the south.Get out there if you can !!

• Like 3

Exactly why I got out yesterday 

• Like 4

I got out last night as well. Rode Lindsay to Kinmount and back again. 100km round trip and not many were out riding like last Tuesday night.

Railbed was in very good condition. Some of the side trails north on Fenelon Falls have opened as well.

Jerry

20240116_181432.jpg

• Like 5

just got back .Dropped at waterloo rod and gun club ,headed to conestoga lake .listowel ,a few loops and back to truck .150 km and trails were all pretty good .Last couple hour was rain and freezing rain .still a awesome day .

• Like 5

Left from my buddy's place in St Jacobs. Linwood, Conestogo Lake, Teviotdale for fuel. My buddy wanted a burger from Homestead Resort. Mount Forest just opened enough trail to make it doable. Should have googled them first, closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Went to Pebbles in Varney. Awesome buffet. Will be going back.

Came back through Palmerston to Listowel for fuel. Rode through Listowel and back down the west side of 86.

Everything was in good shape except Palmerston. Harriston, Teviotdale and surrounding area was brutal. Washboard and moguls from the weekend traffic. 20 kph crawl through the entire area.

300 kms day. Rode my Cat. Lent my Mach Z out to an old friend for the day.

IMG_7225.jpeg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, wrightonalan said:

Dropped at waterloo rod and gun club

Just as an FYI, trailers are not supposed to park in the parking lot closest to the trail.  Park in the area on the right as you come down the hill driving in. Bad scene last Saturday as trailers parked all over the big parking lot while the Rod & Gun was having a Wing Night fund raiser starting at 3PM and no where to park cars. If the trailer parking area I mentioned is full, drive down the driveway past the trail and there are areas you can park down there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

we weren't sure where to park but it was closed .is it still a snowmobile club house too ?

1 hour ago, wrightonalan said:

we weren't sure where to park but it was closed .is it still a snowmobile club house too ?

No the sled club folded a few years ago. No newbees to take over. The last wonderful gentleman and his wife to put all the trails in for them was 74 years old when he retired. Elmira club took over the trail from the north and St. Clements took over the trail to the west.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Left from my buddy's place in St Jacobs. Linwood, Conestogo Lake, Teviotdale for fuel. My buddy wanted a burger from Homestead Resort. Mount Forest just opened enough trail to make it doable. Should have googled them first, closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Went to Pebbles in Varney. Awesome buffet. Will be going back.

Came back through Palmerston to Listowel for fuel. Rode through Listowel and back down the west side of 86.

Everything was in good shape except Palmerston. Harriston, Teviotdale and surrounding area was brutal. Washboard and moguls from the weekend traffic. 20 kph crawl through the entire area.

300 kms day. Rode my Cat. Lent my Mach Z out to an old friend for the day.

IMG_7225.jpeg

Is that Sled Eddie on Mach 😎

23 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes sir, 79 years young.

Nice, say Hi for me. My dad spent hours talking to him. I didn't even know he wanted to sell place. Darn it could have bought it, would have been a great car club in summer months and a few chicken parties 😆

Can anyone tell me if it’s worth the drive to Kearney or Whitney ( still holding yellow ) ? How’s sequin ? Anyone ride these trails recently, I don’t have social media. Looking for first hand info.

12 minutes ago, Pota said:

Can anyone tell me if it’s worth the drive to Kearney or Whitney ( still holding yellow ) ? How’s sequin ? Anyone ride these trails recently, I don’t have social media. Looking for first hand info.

Lake st peter rail bed is brown.

I'm going to barrys bay tomorrow by truck and will check the B trail.

I'm not willing to take my sled to barrys bay...

• Like 1

Almaguin just shut their trails down north of Kearney. Highland rovers are still open, but I can almost guarantee they will be fairly thin, flat, but thin. 

• Like 1