muskoka snow gauge

Muskoka Man

whats going on with mother nature,this is not going to be good for the businesses and resorts that depend on the snow

PXL_20231217_135846137.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

Super El Nino is forecasted. I used to get all excited to see the calendar change to November and then December knowing we would be riding at any minute. Only to wear out carbides, sliders, and wreck sleds riding sand, dirt, mud, and worse, in December, and early January. Now, I just wait, it will come. Last year, our first ride wasnt until Valentine's day weekend, and we still rode all the way into mid April. Out west in the mountains, we dont even think about riding until the snow depth reaches 40".

Stop watching the farmers almanac telling you it is going to be a brutal winter, and getting you all amped up in September. Get a hobby, get the sleds prepped, enjoy the free time, and not burning your vacation days in December, when the conditions are terrible, and then not having any time left in march, when the conditions are awesome.

You just have to change your thinking... The snow will come. Ski

• Like 9

53 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

Super El Nino is forecasted. I used to get all excited to see the calendar change to November and then December knowing we would be riding at any minute. Only to wear out carbides, sliders, and wreck sleds riding sand, dirt, mud, and worse, in December, and early January. Now, I just wait, it will come. Last year, our first ride wasnt until Valentine's day weekend, and we still rode all the way into mid April. Out west in the mountains, we dont even think about riding until the snow depth reaches 40".

Stop watching the farmers almanac telling you it is going to be a brutal winter, and getting you all amped up in September. Get a hobby, get the sleds prepped, enjoy the free time, and not burning your vacation days in December, when the conditions are terrible, and then not having any time left in march, when the conditions are awesome.

You just have to change your thinking... The snow will come. Ski

This was our first ride last year January 28th snow was still kinda thin still turned out to be a great season. 

IMG_0080.jpeg

IMG_0079.jpeg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 1049 said:

This was our first ride last year January 28th snow was still kinda thin still turned out to be a great season. 

If you look at the Dub house cam thread from last season, you can see the end of Jan, first of feb was where they finally had decent snow and had just started to groom everything. We never went up the whole month of January. Which was a first for us. Ski

• Like 1

Raining here in southern Ontario right now. TWN says its raining in Cochrane and Hearst. No snow currently in the 2 week forecast in Ontario.

Booooo...lol

I'm heading for Florida on the 28th for 2 weeks. Doesn't look like I will miss any sledding.

• Like 3

Ya, not another stellar start….but last year areas got dumped on late Dec if you recall, that also didn’t help much, actually hurt in some regions, that put their start delayed and it seemed dealing with unfrozen swamps for a longer than usual time.  

I know not for all, but with the crappy seasons, getting away for an extended duration sure does help scratch the itch and maintain the passion, especially when you look out the window on Dec 17, see the grass and the rain coming down.  

• Like 1

Verrrrry slow start with zip in the forecast too.

Sold my 4 tech last year,my 380 skandic is going for sale in a week or so with all gear,getting more seat time on the side by side lately 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Muskoka Man said:

Sold my 4 tech last year,my 380 skandic is going for sale in a week or so with all gear,getting more seat time on the side by side lately 

So what does that leave in the stable for you for sleds, or signing out completely?

1 hour ago, stoney said:

So what does that leave in the stable for you for sleds, or signing out completely?

Signing out completely,been sledding for at least 25 years ,winters are getting iffy even here in the skokes 

7 hours ago, stoney said:

Just looked at Dorset forecast, not looking too bad just after Christmas. 

IMG_4689.png

Am I missing any snow in that forecast?

That looks for going for a walk with the dog - but that's about it :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

I think he means its going below zero for a high. THIS is our big hope now so we can use the "At least we are getting frost in the ground" line.

God I hate this sport. Its too bad I love it so much when it happens.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

lol, well that too….but some cold, almost double digits and generally speaking, it usually gets colder than forecasted for that area and more times than not, small amounts of snow fall not forecasted. 

1 hour ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Same crap every year. I frankly could care less if I get one ride in only this year. It is what it is,

Agreed, I think for me its just frustrating knowing where we always used to be and what is now becoming more "normal".

These last 2 years are the only years I won't be out on the ice on the lake between Christmas and New Years - only 2 since 1988.

I can't stress enough how much I hope by me paying carbon taxes that in 50 years - we'll be able to walk on the ice again at Christmas. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Agreed, I think for me its just frustrating knowing where we always used to be and what is now becoming more "normal".

These last 2 years are the only years I won't be out on the ice on the lake between Christmas and New Years - only 2 since 1988.

I can't stress enough how much I hope by me paying carbon taxes that in 50 years - we'll be able to walk on the ice again at Christmas. 

Bahahahahaha

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

You arent paying enough apparently.