This will be a real winter

Wildbill

The Ontario permit is a deal IMO.    Our trails are not as good as Quebecs are but the $220 could easily be $300 and I wouldnt complain. 

The thought of buying both Ontario and Quebec permits this year x 2 sleds is starting to hit my tipping point though.   $1400 in permits is a big pill to swallow.     

• Like 2

I find northern Ontario trails better than comparable Quebec trails. We've experienced miles of brutal trails there. Taking a break from Quebec trails.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stoney said:

I found this posted on 23/24 permit fees - also states TBC.

Permit Type Full By Dec 1 By Nov 1 Notes
Seasonal $293.60 $243.60 $213.60 +processing fee
2000 model year and newer
Classic $200.88 $170.88 N/A +processing fee 1999
model year and earlier
Multi-day $48.06 minimum purchase of 2 consecutive days

Can anyone confirm whether the multi-day is $48/day, or $48 min for the 2 day min?

(2 days = $48 or $96)

23 minutes ago, Ox said:

Can anyone confirm whether the multi-day is $48/day, or $48 min for the 2 day min?

(2 days = $48 or $96)

I would assume 48 x 2 = $96.......$48 for two days is too cheap and they really want you to buy season permit vs. getting out what 4 times @ $48 for the same price as early bird permit.

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

I find northern Ontario trails better than comparable Quebec trails. We've experienced miles of brutal trails there. Taking a break from Quebec trails.

I heard the same thing last year on the same trails that I rode and wondered what people were complaining about, we had great trails most of the time - cannot expect 100%, nice but not possible.

I think it can be just timing - you missed the grooming schedule by a day.

And talking to a few places we stayed that groomed, they will only go out I think it was twice a week, regardless - that is what they had funds for......

3 hours ago, Canuck said:

I really find it hit and miss.  Depends where you go and when.  Had rough trails up near parent / through to saint anne du lac.  But it was Sunday on the free weekend.  Our trip to Saguenay was almost all perfect grooming wise.  Similar in Ontario.  New Liskeard was exceptional when i was there.  Found some rough trail down near Temiscaming same day.  Nothing is perfect.  That's snowmobiling.

• Like 1

The trails around Cochrane are smooth thats for sure.    They are also boring AF once you have ridden there a few times.     Pinned down a hydro line gets old fast.   

I really like riding around Rouyn, Amos area lately.     Same kind of snow/terrain as Cochrane, just not a wide and straight.    The warm up shacks are a nice touch to break up the day as well.     

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, scottyr said:

The trails around Cochrane are smooth thats for sure.    They are also boring AF once you have ridden there a few times.     Pinned down a hydro line gets old fast.   

I really like riding around Rouyn, Amos area lately.     Same kind of snow/terrain as Cochrane, just not a wide and straight.    The warm up shacks are a nice touch to break up the day as well.     

Agreed - plus you tend to meet up and talk with more people in the shacks there as well......but they have more shacks too.

5 hours ago, scottyr said:

The Ontario permit is a deal IMO.    Our trails are not as good as Quebecs are but the $220 could easily be $300 and I wouldnt complain. 

The thought of buying both Ontario and Quebec permits this year x 2 sleds is starting to hit my tipping point though.   $1400 in permits is a big pill to swallow.     

I disagree, but would say that Quebec generally has better weather for their trails.

If we had the weather they did - I would see very little reason to go there vs. the varying terrain Ontario has to offer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scottyr said:

Terrian much better over kap way. Hearst flattens out again too as you know.  Hornepayne area interesting but not allot of trail and ride to dub or wawa is interesting before it goes back to hydro line south of town. 
I prefer Elliot lake area much nicer terrian but no big Mile days there usually. 

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

I disagree, but would say that Quebec generally has better weather for their trails.

If we had the weather they did - I would see very little reason to go there vs. the varying terrain Ontario has to offer.

I would disagree with your varying terrain comment. I've ridden in 5 states and Quebec as well as our province. I have never seen anything close to the varied terrains in Quebec from Abitibi to Saguenay and especially Gaspe. If you haven't been there you should make the effort. It's worth the ride.  Forgot to mention the accomodations and food. Quebec wins there as well. JMHO

• Like 4

Done many northern ON saddle bag trips, that were all great, as I am sure many have on this site, but they are not the same as a saddle bag trip in QC - hospitality is one huge factor, more snow for most of the rides, other than one year in QC, it is just a better experience in my opinion.

Not what this thread is about - both locations are good, but QC comes out on top for me too based on past experiences to date.

I am sure who you ride with can make the difference too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scottyr said:

Just don't go the last weekend of the year when everything south of the Northern Corridor has melted and had rain.  Or at Christmas.  Made that mistake once in March.  Left with a bad taste for Cochrane.  But it was really my own fault for when I picked to go.

14 hours ago, signfan said:

Just don't go the last weekend of the year when everything south of the Northern Corridor has melted and had rain.  Or at Christmas.  Made that mistake once in March.  Left with a bad taste for Cochrane.  But it was really my own fault for when I picked to go.

I have gone at end of March a few times. Once I did big loop then too. Was mid winter conditions that time. We got lucky and got 6” of fresh snow when approaching Hearst so all parking lots and side roads were still covered. Lots in Timmins we’re getting bare when we returned but not too bad. 

15 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I would disagree with your varying terrain comment. I've ridden in 5 states and Quebec as well as our province. I have never seen anything close to the varied terrains in Quebec from Abitibi to Saguenay and especially Gaspe. If you haven't been there you should make the effort. It's worth the ride.  Forgot to mention the accomodations and food. Quebec wins there as well. JMHO

Gaspe - maybe this year!!!

On the list but not experienced yet.

11 minutes ago, stoney said:

We tentatively have Gaspe booked for the last week of Jan/1st week of Feb.    Havent done in since 2020 and have covered pretty much everywhere else in Quebec so its time to go back.    Its a great trip!  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, scottyr said:

We tentatively have Gaspe booked for the last week of Jan/1st week of Feb.    Havent done in since 2020 and have covered pretty much everywhere else in Quebec so its time to go back.    Its a great trip!  

Great it be steller in Perth county then 😎
you doing two week trip or just one of those two weeks? 

6 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Great it be steller in Perth county then 😎
you doing two week trip or just one of those two weeks? 

We are looking at leaving on Jan 27th and back home on Feb 2/3.     A lot of the wives are going to Costa Rica that week so it just is easier for the guys to be away at the same time.   

I really have zero interest in riding in Perth County anymore.     Riding through a stubble field at warp speed and then crossing a side road every mile and a quarter gets old fast.    If we actually get snow, I like riding up to Bayfield or somewhere for wings but thats about it.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, stoney said:

After 6 times in Gaspe there are a couple of things we have learned. One is to take your time east of Matane on the north shore and in the middle area north and south of Murdockvile and west of Murdockville as well as the areas south and west of Amiqui. To me these are the most scenic areas.

The second thing is that a stormy day or 3 in Gaspe can change your plans dramatically. Be prepared to alter the plan and or have an extra day available so you don't miss any of the scenic areas. Let me know if you have any questions when you are doing your itinerary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

After 6 times in Gaspe there are a couple of things we have learned. One is to take your time east of Matane on the north shore and in the middle area north and south of Murdockvile and west of Murdockville as well as the areas south and west of Amiqui. To me these are the most scenic areas.

The second thing is that a stormy day or 3 in Gaspe can change your plans dramatically. Be prepared to alter the plan and or have an extra day available so you don't miss any of the scenic areas. Let me know if you have any questions when you are doing your itinerary.

Watch the wind forecadt in addition to the snow forecast.  6" of snow doesn't sound like much.  But it ends up falling 2' deep at higher elevations.  Then if the storm brings high winds the drifts are 6 plus feet tall.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, signfan said:

Watch the wind forecadt in addition to the snow forecast.  6" of snow doesn't sound like much.  But it ends up falling 2' deep at higher elevations.  Then if the storm brings high winds the drifts are 6 plus feet tall.  

We ended up sleeping in a high school gym for a night as it was storming so bad and everything was closed.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Thanks PLC!

Can you or perhaps others comment on the policy now a days on a now show at a lodge/hotel?

It seems since Covid many places are charging for no show where they never used to since they understood things can and will happen on saddle bag trips, but that seems to no longer matter - you are not the first to talk about the good possibility of a storm rolling in and causing unplanned delays.

10 hours ago, stoney said:

Thanks PLC!

Can you or perhaps others comment on the policy now a days on a now show at a lodge/hotel?

It seems since Covid many places are charging for no show where they never used to since they understood things can and will happen on saddle bag trips, but that seems to no longer matter - you are not the first to talk about the good possibility of a storm rolling in and causing unplanned delays.

Most places require 24 hour notice for cancellation. Weekends you will be charged two nights if you don’t give 24 hour notice for Friday and Saturday Is policy at many hotels, motels, etc. 

Some have a rule if they can re book it then they refund your money. I am ok with all three. As long as rooms there when I get there all is good.

if you are a regular customer I am sure they do somthing for you in an emergency.