Clean Fuel Standard

signfan

58 minutes ago, Sksman said:

With ethanol becoming the norm would those old water eliminator sticks be helpful?

they were a white plastic cage on a string that you could drop in your tank.  

would these absorb the ethanol/water?

now on my Polaris I doubt you could get it down the fuel neck past whatever they have built in the tank.  

I wouldn’t use those. If they take water they take ethonal too. Guess what happens next? Octane will be trapped in water stick since E, has a considerable amount of octane in it, I am guessing 6 points at least. If you added an octane boaster to every tank it might compensate for it though. Best way to keep tank full and e give you way less trouble. All

my equipment I keep tanks full now when they sit and e can’t absorb near as much water then. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

What about this. 

IMG_20230629_154438241.jpg

Might be real hard on rubber components in fuel system. Hoses, diaphragms etc. I be afraid to use it. 
my dad used some sort of drying conditioner in diesel fuel. Kept taking out high pressure fuel pumps. I told him to stop buying it and all our  problems went away. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Yup saw that the other day   what about this 

IMG_20230731_161402522.jpg

That stuff sounds great if it works. Defiantly won’t hurt anything,  Lately I haven’t been adding anything to gas just full up my tanks. Nothing seems to go bad at all 🤷🏽‍♂️
only thing I have been using is howes diesel fuel treatment. Mostly add it for winter in bulk tank. 
I did buy marine stabil for e and crap went bad on shelf after I opened it. Absorb water from air and went green. Was originally blue 🤣
Not buying blue stuff agsin. Maybe you have to use it right away and not put it back on shelf opened. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Thanks 1

snake oil. nothing will eliminate, remove, neutralize ethanol/alcohol. Ski

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2023 at 11:17 PM, Canuck said:

What are you  doing for boat fuel  this year? Marina is far away.  Currently  stopping at marina with gas cans on the way north, but that's messed up - driving by car to the marina, to fill cans with gas. 

Old Yamaha 100 4 stroke.

And 40 hp Merc 2 stroke.

When Phil was running village Marina they were using ethanol free fuel. The supplier is out of Barrie.  Mayes Martin

I believe it's still out there for marina use, dependant on supplier..  https://mayesmartin.com/lubricants/product.php?id=89

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Yukon said:

When Phil was running village Marina they were using ethanol free fuel. The supplier is out of Barrie.  Mayes Martin

I believe it's still out there for marina use, dependant on supplier..  https://mayesmartin.com/lubricants/product.php?id=89

I doubt it. I asked our farm fuel supplier and they said they can’t even get e free fuel anymore. We are stuck with E in all fuels sold in province. I bet they were purchasing shell free 91, which is no longer available., 🤣

Yes, it can be bad but the issue becomes magnified by sitting around - understand the shortcomings and act accordingly. 

I generally will try to take older gas not mixed and put in my vehicles - haven’t had an issue yet. 

2 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Better for the environment but worse for the toys.

how? 30% less fuel economy with e10, costs more to produce, not to mention the water required for corn growth, and then even more for the ethanol production. when you look at carbon output, again, you would use 30% more fuel, to produce the same mileage as non E fuels.

tell me how, it is better for the environment. raping the land for "fuel corn", pulling food for livestock, textile, and other cash crop items, from previously cash cropped fields... over and over while using harsh chemicals, and synthetic fertilizers, and GMO plants to get more production for what? an additive that messes up most fuel systems in ICE systems. yes... tell me more, how this is better for the environment.  Ski

• Like 6

Does ethanol cause worse gas mileage?

Ethanol contains about one-third less energy than gasoline. So, vehicles will typically go 3% to 4% fewer miles per gallon on E10 and 4% to 5% fewer on E15 than on 100% gasoline.

I think you added a zero!

What are the pros and cons of ethanol in fuel?

Ethanol. Pros: Reduces demand for foreign oil, low emissions, high octane, and can potentially be produced from waste materials; existing cars can use 10-percent blends (called E10), and more than 8 million cars already on the road can use E85. 

50 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:
Does ethanol cause worse gas mileage?

Ethanol contains about one-third less energy than gasoline. So, vehicles will typically go 3% to 4% fewer miles per gallon on E10 and 4% to 5% fewer on E15 than on 100% gasoline.

I think you added a zero!

no, your math is "fuzzy". one third of 100% is 33%. so... 100% of the energy from non e, with one third less energy, is a 30% (33) loss. you can argue all you want, the math doesnt lie. and yes... they do water corn, and yes, they use water to produce ethanol while "cooking" the corn down to get the ethanol out. Ski

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skidooboy said:

how? 30% less fuel economy with e10, costs more to produce, not to mention the water required for corn growth, and then even more for the ethanol production. when you look at carbon output, again, you would use 30% more fuel, to produce the same mileage as non E fuels.

tell me how, it is better for the environment. raping the land for "fuel corn", pulling food for livestock, textile, and other cash crop items, from previously cash cropped fields... over and over while using harsh chemicals, and synthetic fertilizers, and GMO plants to get more production for what? an additive that messes up most fuel systems in ICE systems. yes... tell me more, how this is better for the environment.  Ski

Pretty sure that in Ontario at least, ethanol corn is a cash crop. I would also think that the corn sold for ethanol helps to keep the remaining corn market prices somewhat higher since there is less volume of corn available for other purposes. Those higher prices would then benefit farmers growing and selling corn.

3 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

So really 3% less fuel economy. 

The energy content of ethanol is about 33% less than pure gasoline. The impact of fuel ethanol on vehicle fuel economy varies depending on the amount of denaturant that is added to the ethanol. The energy content of denaturant is about equal to the energy content of pure gasoline. In general, vehicle fuel economy may decrease by about 3% when using E10 relative to gasoline that does not contain fuel ethanol.

So on a 20 MPG vehicle you would loose 0.6 MPG.

Today's corn-based ethanol reduces greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by roughly 40 – 50 percent compared to regular gasoline, according to recent studies by Harvard, USDA and the Department of Energy's Argonne National Laboratory.Mar 3, 2022

So like I said, only 3% poorer fuel economy and is better for the environment! That's pretty good reason to use it I'd say. I understand that it has some issues for our toys but I think they can be overcome with some proper maintenance and precautions.

55 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Today's corn-based ethanol reduces greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by roughly 40 – 50 percent compared to regular gasoline, according to recent studies by Harvard, USDA and the Department of Energy's Argonne National Laboratory.Mar 3, 2022

So like I said, only 3% poorer fuel economy and is better for the environment! That's pretty good reason to use it I'd say. I understand that it has some issues for our toys but I think they can be overcome with some proper maintenance and precautions.

Does that 40-50% take into account the emissions to plant and harvest corn, manufacturer the ethanol and truck it to blend facility?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Strong Farmer said:

E good for engine no doubt. Can extended your oil changes no problem and burns cooler and cleaner. Spark plugs last forever. I don’t even bother changing them any more. 
too bad we can’t get E100. 
that would solve issue with phase seperation and it would keep in its pure form no problem.