Huntsville Lakes....

capster59

So..anyone making tracks across vernon fairy mary lake of bays etc

• Haha 1

If i was coming up from the city for a day ride i would drop in baysville. You can hit up east side hgr and over to dorset and dwight without being on a lake and minimal road running. Dickie lake in baysville is likely ok. If Raven is ok then you can ride 64 too. 

• Like 1

This is a pic I took of Fairy Lake on Thursday. Doesn’t look very promising. With that said , my wife saw 2 sleds go across last Saturday ( cold snap  ) .. crazy in my opinion. I rode the route SF6 mentioned on Wednesday. From Baysville - Dwight and trail conditions were excellent . How it held up after the rain? I don’t know? I did ride across Dickie and Raven Lake, both were staked and hard packed along stake line. Talking to other sledders at lunch they told me tracks were out on Lake of Bays ( not staked ) . I stuck to land trails  and staked lakes.

4185CFBB-0BBF-4184-B85D-2DA7B7ECAE4A.jpeg

Went across Mary lk on our way back from Mattawa on Wed and it was very slushy in spots if you got off the beaten path. Friday afternoon seen people out towards Rocky island ice fishing so has to be some depth to the ice but nothing like a lot of previous yrs.

Mary is fine on the main trail across with 8". The trail that runs over from the beach to the "T" is the sketchy one and i wouldnt recommend. 

On 2/10/2023 at 5:48 PM, capster59 said:

So..anyone making tracks across vernon fairy mary lake of bays etc

I would be very careful, worst year for ice I have seen. I am sure some areas are good to go, but nothing is even close to consistent.

• Like 1

Hey Steve, would you still recommend coming to Baysville area ( tomorrow , Tues  ) for a day trip? You seem to have your finger on the pulse. Trail conditions after this weekend? Road running? Any input would help. Thx.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the traffic this weekend around there was on the light side with the superbowl and the above normal temps…..and with minimal road runs between Baysville and Dorset, the bush should help keeping things decent. 

I haven’t been there due to other commitments with the kids, but hoping to get up in the near future and things this week see more snow vs rain. 

11 minutes ago, stoney said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the traffic this weekend around there was on the light side with the superbowl and the above normal temps…..and with minimal road runs between Baysville and Dorset, the bush should help keeping things decent. 

I haven’t been there due to other commitments with the kids, but hoping to get up in the near future and things this week see more snow vs rain. 

Wednesday looks not good.

We have saturday off again - hoping to ride - but it isn't looking to good at this point.

13 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Wednesday looks not good.

We have saturday off again - hoping to ride - but it isn't looking to good at this point.

Ya, 5mm of rain, but followed by 5cm of snow.

And you know that area generally gets small amounts of snow more frequently that is never forecasted, which really helps keep the conditions decent.....plus small number of road runs.

As soon as you head Baysville to GHurst, the road running increases a lot.

Mid Feb and already feeling like mid to late March conditions around these parts....lol

Glad I am not on the fence about the sport, these things could make one jump ship.

We were over to baysville yesterday and it was still good. Road run in town is getting thin but carbides and sliders are disposable lol

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, stoney said:

Ya, 5mm of rain, but followed by 5cm of snow.

And you know that area generally gets small amounts of snow more frequently that is never forecasted, which really helps keep the conditions decent.....plus small number of road runs.

As soon as you head Baysville to GHurst, the road running increases a lot.

Mid Feb and already feeling like mid to late March conditions around these parts....lol

Glad I am not on the fence about the sport, these things could make one jump ship.

Calling for plus 9 at musoka airport on Wednesday now we are suppose to hit plus 15 C in Kitchener. Maybe a new Feb record. So much for best conditions on family day weekend. 😂 Even Sunday plus 2 C at musoka airport. My Uncle saying trails around him are toast and he just run roads when he gets fresh snow. He is east of parry sound. Only has about 18” of snow. Usually 5 feet plus this time of year. 

2 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Calling for plus 9 at musoka airport on Wednesday now we are suppose to hit plus 15 C in Kitchener. Maybe a new Feb record. So much for best conditions on family day weekend. 😂 Even Sunday plus 2 C at musoka airport. My Uncle saying trails around him are toast and he just run roads when he gets fresh snow. He is east of parry sound. Only has about 18” of snow. Usually 5 feet plus this time of year. 

I try to keep tabs on the Dorset area vs. further West - usually fairs better with lower temps, less rain and more snow being a higher elevation.

2 hours ago, Pota said:

Hey Steve, would you still recommend coming to Baysville area ( tomorrow , Tues  ) for a day trip? You seem to have your finger on the pulse. Trail conditions after this weekend? Road running? Any input would help. Thx.

Can't comment on Baysville but Dorset area and east were fantastic yesterday.  Only saw 8 sleds all day

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Can't comment on Baysville but Dorset area and east were fantastic yesterday.  Only saw 8 sleds all day

20230212_131725.jpg

20230212_132444.jpg

20230212_131732.jpg

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

LOL, 8 sleds - exactly my point above!

Looking at your pictures, snow is thin, but coverage is there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stoney said:

LOL, 8 sleds - exactly my point above!

Looking at your pictures, snow is thin, but coverage is there.

I don't care if they're thin as long as I can get some lube to keep from overheating.

1 hour ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Trails shut down in Kearney on the ITG. I assume DYSC will do the same. 

Im guessing its to combat the warm temps

Going to be hard to recover from this week. I feel sorry for everyone that has accomdations  booked for weekend. Lots of places won’t give refunds do to weather or closed trails. 

Tomorrow will wreak havoc on what little is left in most of the province.

I tip my hat to these volunteers.

ALL THE WORK ......so frustrating. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Sudbury area is going to be unavailable I was told 

Sudbury is or has gone red to protect the trails tomorrow.

Supposed to turn cold and snow overnight Wednesday

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2