Jump to content
revrnd

Winter 2021

Recommended Posts

Well, I can say nothing really bad has happened yet riding at night. 
I knew you two were just :poke2:, but there really are some good pros to night riding...... of course there can be risk too, but there are risks during the day too!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, revrnd said:

I kind of figured you had the stick out poking @ me LOL

Nothing as my parents & I used to ride out west of Apsley on the old Rathburn Trail to the lookouts. Check out the stars & maybe hear a wolf howling in the distance.

 

I think the inference is that the only time we hear about night riding is after an accident. I don't recall seeing anyone posting about it or posting pics. Which is obvious as the pic I attached isn't the greatest, but gives you the idea.

 

About 15 years ago 2 of us rode from a co-worker's home in Bowmanville to his cottage on Glamor Lake after dayshift. I had my sled @ home, so brother drove my truck north after unloading it. I ended up getting to Apsley about 2 AM. I was really careful as in hindsight travelling thru the Tory Hill Hadlington area late @ night solo, isn't the brightest thing to do.

The sounds you hear on a cold night in the bush or near a lake are interesting no doubt..... like the ice on a lake building, what a wonderful sound. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stoney said:

Well, I can say nothing really bad has happened yet riding at night. 
I knew you two were just :poke2:, but there really are some good pros to night riding...... of course there can be risk too, but there are risks during the day too!

 

I actually enjoy night riding,  alot..

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, stoney said:

Well, I can say nothing really bad has happened yet riding at night. 
I knew you two were just :poke2:, but there really are some good pros to night riding...... of course there can be risk too, but there are risks during the day too!

 

I know what you mean, even w/ a bit of dusk, it's nice to see some light from oncoming sleds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, stoney said:

The sounds you hear on a cold night in the bush or near a lake are interesting no doubt..... like the ice on a lake building, what a wonderful sound. 

Nothing like that last night, but portions of 2 of the ponds had some fog on them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Night rides Friday and Saturday with friends. Nice Sunday ride on the rail bed by myself for some solitude. We are truly blessed to be able to enjoy such a great Sport. Railbed bed was as flat and fast. Kept it 50 or under of course...:ph34r:

20210122_205400.jpg

20210131_140027.jpg

20210131_140056.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jason T said:

Night rides Friday and Saturday with friends. Nice Sunday ride on the rail bed by myself for some solitude. We are truly blessed to be able to enjoy such a great Sport. Railbed bed was as flat and fast. Kept it 50 or under of course...:ph34r:

20210122_205400.jpg

20210131_140027.jpg

20210131_140056.jpg

Looks great.  Thanks for sharing the pics..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad the storm south of the border, didn't track a wee bit further north. Next 2 weeks forecast sucks also for storms. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2021 at 7:37 PM, Turbo Doo said:

Too bad the storm south of the border, didn't track a wee bit further north. Next 2 weeks forecast sucks also for storms. 

I hear, they said it was snowing near Lake Ontario today. No sign of any here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I hear, they said it was snowing near Lake Ontario today. No sign of any here.

Forecast looks like :soapbox:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Forecast looks like :soapbox:

But think of the whiners that want 10* temps and rain on a daily basis...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, revrnd said:

But think of the whiners that want 10* temps and rain on a daily basis...

There's definitely alot of them out there..

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

There's definitely alot of them out there..

But climate change is a crisis...

 

Off to do sign work tomorrow in the sun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2021 at 3:24 PM, Turbo Doo said:

Nothing wrong with it at all. Revrnd and i are just exchanging laughs about nothing good happens after midnight on sleds, thats all. 

Thats my line but I say that NOTHING good happens on a sled after 10pm. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, scottyr said:

Thats my line but I say that NOTHING good happens on a sled after 10pm. 

A couple years ago I toured around slowly till 3 am with some locals.We were at the grain bin around 2am and some youngster was laying over that stove trying to dry out as he had been in the river,good times

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2021 at 3:24 PM, Turbo Doo said:

Nothing wrong with it at all. Revrnd and i are just exchanging laughs about nothing good happens after midnight on sleds, thats all. 

I hadn't heard it until Odot on FS made the comment a few years ago.

 

I imagine the OPP constable (retired now) that I've known here since I was a kid would agree. I remember hearing about him being the responding officer to a fatality on 1 of the lakes (during the late 80s/early 90s) west of here @ night. Sledder hit a dock, I'll just leave it @ that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, revrnd said:

But think of the whiners that want 10* temps and rain on a daily basis...

the same ones supporting taxation so the government can save us from global warming. People are stupid.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brodhagenbullet said:

A couple years ago I toured around slowly till 3 am with some locals.We were at the grain bin around 2am and some youngster was laying over that stove trying to dry out as he had been in the river,good times

Are you sure you were not the one drying out?. :poke2:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Are you sure you were not the one drying out?. :poke2:

Should have been but no,left an empty 60 in president shack later that night

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the forecast is changing for the better, most areas from Toronto to Ottawa should get 5-10 Friday and a few more on the weekend

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Forecast looks like :soapbox:

South east Georgian Bay has snow in the forecast for each of the next 5 days

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The way TWN describes it,  you think its of biblical proportions....

 

Swath of snow, plunging temperatures.  My lord, its the end of the world..

Screenshot_20210203-111333_Weather Network.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We couldnt be so lucky.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, pt3189 said:

We couldnt be so lucky.

Yes all that snow in NYC is going to waste when the dump it in the ocean :(

 

A different angle

 

image.png.bb3839a32aff9a305c4a3b6ede2b47b3.png

 

@Turbo Doo It will be interesting to see what the responses are LOL

 

Maybe those of us on Faceplant can post a sledding pic a day when we go riding? That should drive the couch potatoes that watch the weather thru their living room windows up the wall. The thought of people having fun out in the cold and snow...in Canada.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...