SLOW THE F*%K DOWN

sledzz

29 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Can you tell us some that are legally snowmobile / multi use winter trails in the winter? I personally don't know of any but I always slow and wave for pedestrians on any trail and they mostly are off on the side of the trail often holding their dogs and waving by the time I get to them. I wouldn't give anyone a problem for walking on a snowmobile trail but many are in fact guilty of trespassing when they do it.

C trail from Coldwater to the top end of Couchiching. C trail from Elmvale north to almost Penetang. A couple of the trails in Port Severn but I'd need to check the map for the trail I'D, sections of C from Coldwater to Midland, the Seguin for a start

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are many multi use trails. Walkers are not bared from using a trail in the winter that they use the rest of the year. Most likely all rail lines, the Simcoe Forest system, crown land, and no winter maintenance road allowances are some of the examples that I can think of. Multi use and restricted use mainly apply to motorized vehicles (ATVs and Sleds sharing the trail).

1 hour ago, GMifty said:

Can you please give me an example of a multi use trail on public property that is snow machine use only in winter? Thanks.

In North Bay the SSR703 trail is multiuse. The portion of trail that takes

you to the lake has many people walking or snowshoeing.

Jerry

we get lots of walkers on various trails around here, even the odd horse as well.

3 minutes ago, soupkids said:

we get lots of walkers on various trails around here, even the odd horse as well.

I know of one trail we no longer have access to. It is a horse trail that is on private property leading to a year round public multi use trail. The owner of the property runs a horse stable and takes out trail rides during the summer. They and the people who board their horses there occasionally use the trail in the winter. Too many snowmobilers intentionally thinking it would be funny to try and scare the horses and mouthing off to the people on horseback resulted in a bunch of road running to get to the multi use trail.

I'm starting to believe the only solution for all bad sledding behaviour is financial. Education, pleading, awareness campaigns, etc. seem to be useless. Just make the permits so expensive that only die hard sledders would pay for it. Couple this with heavy, zero tolerance enforcement. Maybe this would sort the wheat from the chaff. I am not happy thinking like this, but I think it's the only way out. However, maybe this would also mark the end of snowmobiling as we know it by inflicting lower sled sales, lower service work and reduced tourist spending. Maybe we are just doomed.

We can educate those for whom ignorance is a problem, but an estimated three to four percent of people are sociopaths and have little to no concern for the effects of their actions on others. Many end up in prison for various reasons, but most continue with their merry lives, cutting in line at the grocery store or on highways, stealing and cheating where it suits them, and taking advantage of the work done by others. The honour system and social responsibility have no value to such people, and the cost of trying to influence or modify their behaviour is tremendous.

What if they impliment a one time sit in/ seminar , like they've done for turkey hunting.     Say have in place by year 2020 that anyone, yes all of us too, has to have taken part in a one day seminar.  Topics could be safety, rules, courtesy and respect on the trails,  respecting landowners and informing of potential damge caused when not obeying the trail layed out.   Show what happens when a trail gets closed and having to run from trail to trail via roads.    The list could go on and could easily fill a day plus if put together properly.  To cover the costs assosiated with the seminar there would be a small fee to attend, remember this is a one time thing.   Once year 2020 comes around and if I go to purchase my seasonal permit and I have not attended my seminar then i would not be able to purchase my pass that year until ive  done so.   When we all completed the Turkey seminar , our outdoors card indicated this with the letter 'T' attached.   This could even be something tracked via the MTO and be madatory upon renewing our licence sticker.  Im sure there are several way's to go about it.   Im also sure sure there would be something learned for everyone and could be a fun and informative day with other sledders.  

1 hour ago, Cuyuna said:

Just make the permits so expensive that only die hard sledders would pay for it.

I think you would just find more people riding with no permits. To jack the price up would just stop new people from getting into the sport. If people don't care about others property or tearing up fields you think they will care that they don't have a ofsc permit or sell their sled rather then pay a huge cost for one. Heck no they will ride without a permit and continue being a******* and making us all look bad  Careful what you wish for as I think this would just make things worse and the honest guys will be the ones paying. Enforcement on the trails is what's needed. In the past 2 seasons I have yet to come across any body checking permits or speed trap or anything. I think that's the big prob maybe increase the permit a bit to help cover the costs of patrolling but a huge increase would just hurt the permit sales and local clubs that are already struggling. I like the educating class idea like for your turkey license. Not sure it would help the trespassing but it would educate riders on safety and proper ways to ride. People get into the sport not knowing anything about it so some education before they jump on that new 800 would go along way. I remember a lot of the old boys were upset when they implemented the hunting safety corse and they had to go do a day corse after hunting for years and I am sure we would hear the same from the snowmobiling community but suck it up buttercup it's for the good of the sport you love so much. 

53 minutes ago, shawnj said:

What if they impliment a one time sit in/ seminar , like they've done for turkey hunting.     Say have in place by year 2020 that anyone, yes all of us too, has to have taken part in a one day seminar.  Topics could be safety, rules, courtesy and respect on the trails,  respecting landowners and informing of potential damge caused when not obeying the trail layed out.   Show what happens when a trail gets closed and having to run from trail to trail via roads.    The list could go on and could easily fill a day plus if put together properly.  To cover the costs assosiated with the seminar there would be a small fee to attend, remember this is a one time thing.   Once year 2020 comes around and if I go to purchase my seasonal permit and I have not attended my seminar then i would not be able to purchase my pass that year until ive  done so.   When we all completed the Turkey seminar , our outdoors card indicated this with the letter 'T' attached.   This could even be something tracked via the MTO and be madatory upon renewing our licence sticker.  Im sure there are several way's to go about it.   Im also sure sure there would be something learned for everyone and could be a fun and informative day with other sledders.  

Works for me. I'm not sure if not being able to but the trail permit would be as big a deterrent as not being able to buy the val tag from MTO. That would concern me more. No val tag then I'm not legal off my own property and not legal means insurance is invalid. Imagine if insurance checked for a current val tag when your insurance renewal came up and without it they didn't renew or issue the policy.

21 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Works for me. I'm not sure if not being able to but the trail permit would be as big a deterrent as not being able to buy the val tag from MTO. That would concern me more. No val tag then I'm not legal off my own property and not legal means insurance is invalid. Imagine if insurance checked for a current val tag when your insurance renewal came up and without it they didn't renew or issue the policy.

I beleive you are correct.  By regulating through our licence renewal it would be "almost" mandatory that we all have sat in and been educated on a variety  of snowmobile related topics.    

This thread is like a train wreck ....you just can t not look at it.........most of it is pointless, but the idea of educating all sledders on operating in a trail system does make sense, but not in a seminar with some jackass telling stories about mishap during his sledding excursions and pictures of wrecks along the trail. With an approach like the boaters exam online or half dozen questions that need to be answered when you buy your online permit.   

31 minutes ago, northstar said:

This thread is like a train wreck ....you just can t not look at it.........most of it is pointless, but the idea of educating all sledders on operating in a trail system does make sense, but not in a seminar with some jackass telling stories about mishap during his sledding excursions and pictures of wrecks along the trail. With an approach like the boaters exam online or half dozen questions that need to be answered when you buy your online permit.   

I took the operators course over 25 years ago.  It was a great course!   All should have to take it IMO.

4 minutes ago, Canadoo said:

I took the operators course over 25 years ago.  It was a great course!   All should have to take it IMO.

There was for many years the assumption that someone who knows how to drive a car knows how to operate a boat and a snowmobile. They now have a Pleasure Craft Operators Card. Perhaps it's time for a Snowmobile Operators Card.

5 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

saw three walkers on the weekend. I slowed down Adjusted my Go pro and roosted the hell out of them.

Oh and I think I gave two a hand signal.

That's funny. I was out on the trail today. I heard a sled approaching at a high rate of speed and there was a slight curve so they hadn't seen me yet. I waited until just the right time and stepped out. You should have seen the look on this dudes face. His eyes were as wide as saucers! He locked it up and almost hit a tree. I was laughing my ass off. I continued on my way. He tried turning his rig around and promptly got stuck. I could hear him yelling a mile away. Cheers.

10 minutes ago, GMifty said:

That's funny. I was out on the trail today. I heard a sled approaching at a high rate of speed and there was a slight curve so they hadn't seen me yet. I waited until just the right time and stepped out. You should have seen the look on this dudes face. His eyes were as wide as saucers! He locked it up and almost hit a tree. I was laughing my ass off. I continued on my way. He tried turning his rig around and promptly got stuck. I could hear him yelling a mile away. Cheers.

Curious, are you a person that enjoys the trails on a sled or some other form?

Perhaps a disgruntled person who uses the same trails as snowmobilers, who does not like that fact that they are shared....

I don't think intentionally trying to cause a person to have an accident is cool, regardless who is in the wrong. 

4 minutes ago, stoney said:

Curious, are you a person that enjoys the trails on a sled or some other form?

Perhaps a disgruntled person who uses the same trails as snowmobilers, who does not like that fact that they are shared....

I don't think intentionally trying to cause a person to have an accident is cool, regardless who is in the wrong. 

Hello. I am a person that enjoys the trails. No.. I am not disgruntled. I guess if I was out on my sled roosting walkers that would be cool to you. 

2 minutes ago, GMifty said:

Hello. I am a person that enjoys the trails. No.. I am not disgruntled. I guess if I was out on my sled roosting walkers that would be cool to you. 

The crowd here is not the target of most people's frustration.  UsedtoSkidoo forgot to use his <sarcasm> tag.  You should assume it when he posts...anything.

The thread is a good share, but can get away quickly.  Lets keep it on point.  How do we make our trail experience better and safer?

10 minutes ago, GMifty said:

Okay, well that is great, that you ride a sled!

Reading the few posts so far and that last one made me make that connection, so I asked the question....

The roosting was a joke, at least I felt it was.....as noted below, sometimes things do not get communicated as they should when typing/reading.

4 minutes ago, stoney said:

Okay, well that is great, that you ride a sled!

Reading the few posts so far and that last one made me make that connection, so I asked the question....

The roosting was a joke, at least I felt it was.....as noted below, sometimes things do not get communicated as they should when typing/reading.

I took it the same way as you, sarcasm. Unfortunately though there seem to be enough people that don't slow down and roost when passing non snowmobilers on a trail that some readers may miss the sarcasm and believe the comment. Therein lies the problem.

Archived