Viewing the ITG

shawnj

This may be on here somewhere already, i looked quickly thro the sub forums but didnt see it, if so this can be deleted. 

What is the best way to view the ITG on Iphone and also Galaxy S5?  They both come up with the map on half the screen and unable to make map full screen. 

Thanks. 

I think best way is to get the app. ..is only a few bucks but works way better than trying to load the full Web page. ..

2 hours ago, ToSlow said:

I think this is done so one would buy the app

I would agree, because the rest of the site is optimized for mobile devices...

Just search OFSC in the app store or Google play. Ignore the comments just a bunch of trolls IMO. It works well, does requier you to have cell service however. 

Don't forget that they rely on the map base from Google Maps which they don't have any control over. I suspect the compatibility has more to do with Google Maps on the smart phone it does with the OFSC itself.

I use the app. It works fairly well. You can't create loops like you can on a desk top though. Last year with minimal cell service the gps was able to locate me very close. Mostly in the south though. Can't say it would be the same results up north. 

You have to pay for this app then, how much, and how do you pay, i never purchased an app before. 

shawnj: until someone comes along with better information....I've had the OFSC Interactive Trail Guide on my Samung Note for quite some time, so I forget some of the details about installing it, but here goes.....

Using an Android phone....go to

Apps

PlayStore

type "OFSC" in the search box

see the OFSC iSnowMobile app

click Install

I believe I paid by Visa, about $3.99 or something like that.

The app works well enough to be very useful.

2 hours ago, Blake G said:

shawnj: until someone comes along with better information....I've had the OFSC Interactive Trail Guide on my Samung Note for quite some time, so I forget some of the details about installing it, but here goes.....

Using an Android phone....go to

Apps

PlayStore

type "OFSC" in the search box

see the OFSC iSnowMobile app

click Install

I believe I paid by Visa, about $3.99 or something like that.

The app works well enough to be very useful.

This is correct. 

The App also updates with a 15 minute delay when trail status changes. 

The App base map will update when a new version is available.. 

Works great for me on my S5....

The OFSC app is ok....No it's brutally bad.

It's just way dated. Some of the info is right the frig out of'er.

Ask anyone who actually knows the trails.

My club's trails are not even close to what it shows on the ITG.

In the age where we want real time updates, the OFSC is in the 80's.....

I've done tracking on my GPS,

Can offer any computer format to update the ITG. 

Yet the Interactive trail trail map is years old..

You cant believe the paper maps or the online maps....

24 minutes ago, vooodooo said:

It's considered a trail guide for that reason. 

Send in your data to the Distict for ITG update. 

OFSC updates the guide twice over the season, which gives clubs time to collect data on snow. 

22 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

It's considered a trail guide for that reason. 

Send in your data to the Distict for ITG update. 

OFSC updates the guide twice over the season, which gives clubs time to collect data on snow. 

Twice, over the season? LMFAO

Clubs are getting closed trails and re-routes every day.

I can slide thru my clubs trails, right now. 

My iphone can map trails within a meter.

Record a GPX file...or any other file type that the OFSC uses.

It's unacceptable the the ITG is years old....

The ITG is based upon info that the clubs send in about their trails.

Unfortunately, with limited manpower, gathering GPS data for the trails to update the ITG is lower on the clubs priority lists than actually opening the trails, grooming the trails, repairing the grooming equipment, etc.  If you have such accurate tracks of your clubs trails, then maybe you should contact your club and offer to help by providing the data to them for the updates to the OFSC.

49 minutes ago, vooodooo said:

What do you mean by your club trails are not even close. Are you referring to the route or the conditions. If it's the route then your club is the one that needs to make that update. Perhaps you could contact the club and volunteer to help with that. If you are referring to conditions, that is also updated by the club VOLUNTEERS.

How do you propose you get the "real time" updates you want. Trail conditions need to be based upon the designated club members who make the updates. Imagine some rider with high expectations has the ability to update the system shows a very good condition trail as lousy and closed but then someone else who isn't as fussy seconds later indicates the trail is available. It just doesn't work.

I know the trails for my club are pretty damn accurate.  

22 minutes ago, vooodooo said:

Twice, over the season? LMFAO

Clubs are getting closed trails and re-routes every day.

I can slide thru my clubs trails, right now. 

My iphone can map trails within a meter.

Record a GPX file...or any other file type that the OFSC uses.

It's unacceptable the the ITG is years old....

The OFSC would likely accept your obvious expertise to help modernize the ITG on a volunteer basis.

15 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

The ITG is based upon info that the clubs send in about their trails.

Unfortunately, with limited manpower, gathering GPS data for the trails to update the ITG is lower on the clubs priority lists than actually opening the trails, grooming the trails, repairing the grooming equipment, etc.  If you have such accurate tracks of your clubs trails, then maybe you should contact your club and offer to help by providing the data to them for the updates to the OFSC.

Ummm. Yeah. Don't assume what I do..

Sorry I've been too busy staking trails, being vice president of my club, had all the signs, stakes, helping with re-routes.

I did map my trails out, with a GPX map, last year...and the year before...

24 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

What do you mean by your club trails are not even close. Are you referring to the route or the conditions. If it's the route then your club is the one that needs to make that update. Perhaps you could contact the club and volunteer to help with that. If you are referring to conditions, that is also updated by the club VOLUNTEERS.

How do you propose you get the "real time" updates you want. Trail conditions need to be based upon the designated club members who make the updates. Imagine some rider with high expectations has the ability to update the system shows a very good condition trail as lousy and closed but then someone else who isn't as fussy seconds later indicates the trail is available. It just doesn't work.

Not conditions, location.

Someone looking at the ITG will see a map that shows long since closed trails.

40 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Conditions are what they are.

I'm talkng location. Where the trail actually is.

The ITG and paper maps are just brutal

• 1 month later...

Have the ITG app on the iPhone and it does not seem to be in sync with changes on the ITG on the OFSC website. I have to turn the iPhone off and then when it restarts it is current, any thoughts?

Their is a 15 minute delay on the App from when the front end is updated to the ITG....

On 2016-12-24 at 0:26 PM, vooodooo said:

Ummm. Yeah. Don't assume what I do..

Sorry I've been too busy staking trails, being vice president of my club, had all the signs, stakes, helping with re-routes.

I did map my trails out, with a GPX map, last year...and the year before...

It's sounds like you are in a position of authority in your club. Did you send the gpx data to your district admin for inclusion in the next update? If you did and it didn't get done have you contacted your District Gov and request they look into it. 

I would be be extremely surprised if someone was intentionally ignoring the new data. Admittedly I am not an expert on this but I have seen our district admin do this work and my understanding is there are very detailed technical requirements for the data in order to upload to the ITG. Maybe your file, in its current format, does not meet the requirements. Maybe a quick conversation with your district admin/ OFSC could get this resolved pretty easily. 

shawnj -> for what its worth, this was my solution.

On 12/18/2016 at 10:33 AM, shawnj said:

This may be on here somewhere already, i looked quickly thro the sub forums but didnt see it, if so this can be deleted. 

What is the best way to view the ITG on Iphone and also Galaxy S5?  They both come up with the map on half the screen and unable to make map full screen. 

Thanks. 

If you are using Chrome as your browser on your Android phone, there is a menu at the top right, marked with 3 vertical dots.   Click on that and in the drop down you'll see an option to "request desktop site" option.  Check mark it and you will gain some extra screen space for the map.

Other Android browsers have this option as well, you'll just have to do a little digging through their corresponding menus.

32 minutes ago, Grimm said:

If you are using Chrome as your browser on your Android phone, there is a menu at the top right, marked with 3 vertical dots.   Click on that and in the drop down you'll see an option to "request desktop site" option.  Check mark it and you will gain some extra screen space for the map.

Other Android browsers have this option as well, you'll just have to do a little digging through their corresponding menus.

Tried on my iPhone and no 3 dots.

2 hours ago, Grimm said:

Kick azz, no more 1/3 screen, didn't know about that. Works, but map itself doesn't seem to be touch enabled so a little tricky zooming in on a specific location.  

Archived