2017 Haliburton Trail and Snow Conditions

Thanks jrhz06, I wodered that as well. Mgooding, HCSA grooms the Rail trail just North of Kinmount to Haliburton. Everything South of the turnaround is not within my ability to report on or control. I posted previously KSLA was mentioned as I wanted to acknowledge a job well. Most on here will confirm the HCSA does an OK job of posting local conditions and with the support of our own Facebook page and a very strong Website.

Livin' 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm seeing some packing happening. Sure shows how wet it is under that nice blanket of snow. Hope none of the groomers got stuck. We need some cold weather and a few more good snow storms. Looks like we're way ahead of last year but still a ways to go.

7 hours ago, jrhz06 said:

I'm seeing some packing happening. Sure shows how wet it is under that nice blanket of snow. Hope none of the groomers got stuck. We need some cold weather and a few more good snow storms. Looks like we're way ahead of last year but still a ways to go.

Glad to see the first packing pass on the B. It does look wet, but progress nonetheless. It will get there soon.

HCSA has been packing some trails, and has obviously opened the Rail Trail from Kinmount to Hali. Some last minute landowner issues and running around getting keys for private gates slowed us down this week. The new groomer we received from OFSC is absolutely the perfect unit for getting our wet, rugged terrain open earlier. There is plenty of snow, but there is zero frost in the ground, so what may be passable by sled is not with a groomer, some more packing may occur before Christmas and we will be very aggressive with packing/grooming operations next week if the warmer temps don't affect our work. We are ahead of the game by far with snow accumulation we just need some cold and THEN more snow. A very good start! Please remember to obey all the STOP signs, especially on the Rail Line as most cross live driveways. Come over here and ride!!

Livin' 

20 minutes ago, livin' on the b103 said:

HCSA has been packing some trails, and has obviously opened the Rail Trail from Kinmount to Hali. Some last minute landowner issues and running around getting keys for private gates slowed us down this week. The new groomer we received from OFSC is absolutely the perfect unit for getting our wet, rugged terrain open earlier. There is plenty of snow, but there is zero frost in the ground, so what may be passable by sled is not with a groomer, some more packing may occur before Christmas and we will be very aggressive with packing/grooming operations next week if the warmer temps don't affect our work. We are ahead of the game by far with snow accumulation we just need some cold and THEN more snow. A very good start! Please remember to obey all the STOP signs, especially on the Rail Line as most cross live driveways. Come over here and ride!!

Livin' 

The rail line is in awesome shape (at least for this time of the year).  This is my first time riding OFSC trails before Christmas.  Thanks Livin!

Yeah, it ain't bad at all, got some KM's on already this year! Your are welcome, and we will get some more trails open soon. Forgot to mention in my report there are no safe water crossings at all. Just enjoy what we have!

Livin' 

Getting lots of inquires about conditions, so here goes...

It got too warm to do much the last couple of days. The Rail Trail is getting a panning as I type and will be real nice for this time of year. That will be it until Boxing Day as the boys need some time off for family and the temps are not in our favour anyway. HCSA is ready to go next week as soon as we can build trails that are going to be ride able. Merry Christmas to all, and remember to be careful out there no matter where you ride.It has come early this year.

Livin'

Nicely done .. 

Ive already logged almost 550 kms so far this year, and most of it running around the Hali area.

Ran up there with a few today for lunch and back. Even met a truck parked on the trail just outside Hali .. lol ..

On top of that it was a good day minus me hitting a buried I beam in Fenelon just off the trail to get fuel. I got launched good. Hurt like hell now, and my new carbides just ate most of it as they dug into the top of the beam .. sigh .. 

9 hours ago, infernobuster said:

Nicely done .. 

Ive already logged almost 550 kms so far this year, and most of it running around the Hali area.

Ran up there with a few today for lunch and back. Even met a truck parked on the trail just outside Hali .. lol ..

On top of that it was a good day minus me hitting a buried I beam in Fenelon just off the trail to get fuel. I got launched good. Hurt like hell now, and my new carbides just ate most of it as they dug into the top of the beam .. sigh .. 

I got my sled caught in a rail switch in Haliburton in 87 thetrail was open but all f the rails were not removed yet 

9 hours ago, infernobuster said:

Nicely done .. 

Glad you're ok after your spill. That was nasty. Wondering where exactly you hit the beam, so nobody else hits it ? Were you going down to the UPI gas station across from the Tims ?

15 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

Glad you're ok after your spill. That was nasty. Wondering where exactly you hit the beam, so nobody else hits it ? Were you going down to the UPI gas station across from the Tims ?

Ive contacted KLSC and told them about it, and asked for them to stake it and flag it. It is not on the trail system but directly beside the restaurant before you head in behind the high school there.

I was headed to the UlitraMar just down the main strip from the rail line ..

The beams are at least 20 ft long and buried ( well proabably not any longer after monday) in the snow. I didnt see them at all.

I sure do feel them this morning though .. my neck is clenched up, leg hurts and back aches.

30 minutes ago, infernobuster said:

Ive contacted KLSC and told them about it, and asked for them to stake it and flag it. It is not on the trail system but directly beside the restaurant before you head in behind the high school there.

The beams are at least 20 ft long and buried ( well proabably not any longer after monday) in the snow. I didnt see them at all.

I sure do feel them this morning though .. my neck is clenched up, leg hurts and back aches.

At least you can shake it off in a few days and your sled wasn't messed up. It could have been far worse. Take care and Merry Christmas.

16 hours ago, infernobuster said:

Wow!!!  Glad your ok like Cuyuna said at least the sled isn't messed up.  Enjoy some R AND R with some cool bevies!!  Cheers

Thanks all. .. 

Sled is in the lift just looking it over. Found that i bent up my new carbides upon impact .. sigh.

2 hours ago, infernobuster said:

Thanks all. .. 

Sled is in the lift just looking it over. Found that i bent up my new carbides upon impact .. sigh.

If all you did was bend some carbides I'd consider it all good. Carbides are easy to replace.

Rode the rail line yesterday and today.  It's very rideable.  Just gotta be careful of those guys doing 120 km/h through the corners that are riding the middle the trail.   There's also 3 or 4 slushy spots that you have to slow down for. 

Rail line was groomed last nite, never have I heard or seen so many sleds on it! Groomer is out cleaning it up now, and will be ready for action tomorrow. Many other trails have been packed and were very wet. What was good was really good, the rest was a muddy mess. the weather man has been constantly wrong this year, with tonite being pretty cold and this should help keep the wet areas under control. Let's hope they are wrong about a warm up next week.

Livin'

44 minutes ago, livin' on the b103 said:

Rail line was groomed last nite, never have I heard or seen so many sleds on it! Groomer is out cleaning it up now, and will be ready for action tomorrow. Many other trails have been packed and were very wet. What was good was really good, the rest was a muddy mess. the weather man has been constantly wrong this year, with tonite being pretty cold and this should help keep the wet areas under control. Let's hope they are wrong about a warm up next week.

Livin'

Just look ahead man.  Tuesday is going to stink for sure but if that's our Jan warm up well be good.   Look at thursday nice and cold going forward.  Thanks for the updates and all the work you do.

As a newbie, I'm a bit confused. Is the Rail line open? Because according to HCSA website the only trail open is Top B. Or is the Rail line part of different club system?

The rail line is a portion of B103 which is yellow on the IAFG.  On the HCSA site, it lists the section as B103 then in the next column "Haliburton to TOP B"

1 hour ago, drpaul said:

As a newbie, I'm a bit confused. Is the Rail line open? Because according to HCSA website the only trail open is Top B. Or is the Rail line part of different club system?

You may be a newbie, drpaul, but you found an error on the HCSA website. LOL

Livin' has verified that two lines got accidentally flipped during an update. It will be corrected at the earliest opportunity.

B103 from Haliburton to B should be shown as red.

B103 Haliburton to Kinmount (Rail Line) should be shown as yellow.

Yes, very confusing what with inaccurate postings.

What is IAFG ?

I look out my cottage seeing tons of snow and a beautiful winter wondérland, but no where to ride. Sigh.

IAFG = OFSC InterActive F Guide :-)

22 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

IAFG = OFSC InterActive F Guide :-)

Sledjunk's too much of a gentleman.

IAFG = Inter-Active F*ckin Guide

(software had/has teething problems during its infancy)

Happy trails. Welcome aboard drP

23 minutes ago, drpaul said:

Yes, very confusing what with inaccurate postings.

What is IAFG ?

I look out my cottage seeing tons of snow and a beautiful winter wondérland, but no where to ride. Sigh.

The Interactive Trail Guide is on the OFSC website and shows the trail status as updated by the local club. Red is closed trails, yellow is limited availability which basically translates to good to ride but exercise caution for wet spots or minor hazards and green is good to go essentially. You always need to be cautious though. Here's the link to the ITG

http://ofsc.mapbase.ca/viewer/

The more you zoom in the more detail you find. In the top left corner you can change the map base. Myself I like hybrid.

• teener unpinned this topic

Archived