Thinking of going back to SKI DOO....HMMM

SuperG

Just to throw some insight into 4 smoke and off trail.

My FIL has a apex 144 and I can toss that thing around all day off trail depending on what kind of off trail, he can't at all.

Wide open expanse of deep powder no problem, fishing trails in the bush not so much but it has the power to throttle out when you can.

Buy the machine for what you do mostly

if your more than 75% on trail go bigger (1200) and learn to handle the extra weight off trail or modify the sled so it handles better off trail (wider skis)

I bought my axys for trail riding which I do about 90% but dam it does more than alright off trail. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to throw some insight into 4 smoke and off trail.

My FIL has a apex 144 and I can toss that thing around all day off trail depending on what kind of off trail, he can't at all.

Wide open expanse of deep powder no problem, fishing trails in the bush not so much but it has the power to throttle out when you can.

Buy the machine for what you do mostly

if your more than 75% on trail go bigger (1200) and learn to handle the extra weight off trail or modify the sled so it handles better off trail (wider skis)

I bought my axys for trail riding which I do about 90% but dam it does more than alright off trail. 

I think you hit the nail on the head!  The biggest factor is the operator!

I know I cannot ride off trail, so I don't, but I think there are many who could ride my machine much better in powder.  The 136 handles it better than a 121 but it is a matter of knowing what to do to get through.

... The biggest factor is the operator! ... I know I cannot ride off trail .....

So we've seen ..... several times ....  lol !    :poke2:

I agree though that the operator has more influence than the equipment itself in 90% of situations.  I've seen guys with XU sleds can't turn around off-trail, but given good snow conditions I can break trail with a short-track with reasonable confidence.  Not always, but sometimes. (I'm not an off-trail guy, but there are occasions...)

I have to re-iterate, you have to keep the extra nose weight on top, so wider skis and proper suspension setup make a huge difference.

So we've seen ..... several times .... lol ! :poke2:

I agree though that the operator has more

influence than the equipment itself in 90% of

situations. I've seen guys with XU sleds can't

turn around off-trail, but given good snow

conditions I can break trail with a short-track

with reasonable confidence. Not always, but

sometimes. (I'm not an off-trail guy, but there

are occasions...)

I have to re-iterate, you have to keep the extra nose weight on top, so wider skis and proper

suspension setup make a huge difference.

Skidoo 137" sleds float like crazy and are a huge upgrade for 121". Handles bumps better too. I have no idea why, anyone would want a short track sled today.

I think you hit the nail on the head!  The biggest factor is the operator!

I know I cannot ride off trail, so I don't, but I think there are many who could ride my machine much better in powder.  The 136 handles it better than a 121 but it is a matter of knowing what to do to get through.

What do you mean you cannot ride OFF TRAIL Sledjunk. From my experience, you do just fine, and are able to put that yammie just about anywhere!... :lmao:  :icon_steer:

Sorry I had too SJ...

Thanks snowchopper and IQ turbo! 

IQ- How well does your sled handle off trail? What kind of track and lug length do you have? 

Handles quite good for the amount that I have had it OFF trail. Track length is 137"...1.25" lug. Now I may, just may consider the 129" length next time..

Ok good to know. An considering going DOWN from 137 to a 129. why would you want to go down in track length? other than it being more and flickable... 

True enough, you dont know until you try it for yourself. 

Ok good to know. An considering going DOWN from 137 to a 129. why would you want to go down in track length? other than it being more and flickable...

I would get the 137. They ride amazing in bumpy trail conditions, float like crazy, steering effort if setup properly, isn't much different then a 121. You loose some top speed with the 137, but who cares about that. 129 with a 1200 will be more prone to getting stuck. I love my 137 my dad is sold on one too now. No more short track sleds for us.

I don't buy the idea that the 136 (7) rides over bumps better than the 121.  My current sled is 136 after many years of 121.

I love the longer track for many reasons, but riding over bumps isn't one of them.  The LT has better grip and stops better and does have better flotation.  However, you have to realize that of the 15 extra inches, less than hald of that is actually on the snow to "bridge the bumps".  Not enough of a difference in length to make a difference to my behind and back when in stutter bumps or moguls.

Sorry, just my opinion.

I don't buy the idea that the 136 (7) rides over bumps better than the 121.  My current sled is 136 after many years of 121.

I love the longer track for many reasons, but riding over bumps isn't one of them.  The LT has better grip and stops better and does have better flotation.  However, you have to realize that of the 15 extra inches, less than hald of that is actually on the snow to "bridge the bumps".  Not enough of a difference in length to make a difference to my behind and back when in stutter bumps or moguls.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Don't forget that its about 5 MPH slower than a 121" as well.

I can't speak for the other brands but I know with the Polaris models which I'm most familiar with the 136 Switchbacks are always a couple of miles faster than the 121 inch models, I've had 3 switchbacks and would never go back to a 121 skid.

I can't speak for the other brands but I know with the Polaris models which I'm most familiar with the 136 Switchbacks are always a couple of miles faster than the 121 inch models, I've had

3 switchbacks and would never go back to a 121

skid.

Never seen anyone ever go back to a shorter track. Manufacturers have done such a good job, with engineering and rail and ski designs, that longer track sleds handle way better then they use it.

Never seen anyone ever go back to a shorter track. Manufacturers have done such a good job, with engineering and rail and ski designs, that longer track sleds handle way better then they use it.

Now you see one...

Went from a 2002 136 AC 800 to a 2009 144 AC Turbo to a 2016 Polaris 800 121 ( and I love it ) The thing is so light, that with a little technique ( meaning don't trench it ) the deep stuff performance is fine as far as I.m concerned. Running the short track brings back all the fun I had in the 80's. I only went longer track over the years for 2 up capabilities.

I've had 137, 120 and now on a 129. Very happy with the 129 and see no reason to go to a 137 as I spend most of my time on trails. When we do go off trail I actually prefer my 129 Cobra to my wifes 137 Ripsaw, so length alone isn't the answer.

I've had 137, 120 and now on a 129. Very happy with the 129 and see no reason to go to a 137 as I spend most of my time on trails. When we do go off trail I actually prefer my 129 Cobra to

my wifes 137 Ripsaw, so length alone isn't the

answer.

Is the 129 steering effort less then the 137? Do you think the ride quality Is equal on both sleds? The manufactures have dine a great job of evolving the ergonmics and ride position across product lines.

VR700, they are set up very different so it's hard to do a direct comparison. I spend a considerable amount of time setting up the suspension to suit the rider. Hers is set up for her weight and she likes a softer ride and lighter steering whereas mine is set up for my weight and is a more aggressive set up. I can tell you that Mohawk skis are more aggressive and have a heavier feel to them than Curves and that the Cobra track hooks up much better than the Ripsaw, both studded. 

The only direct comparison that I could give you would be between my Switchback 136, Rush 120, MXZ 121 and ZR 129. All rode great and no complaints with any of them. The Rush felt more nimble and lively than the Switchback but the Switchback was smoother riding and better off trail. For trail use I liked the feel of the shorter track so I got the MXZ in a 121. Great on trail, sucked off trail. Bought a Cat and the shortest was a 129 which I felt would be a good compromise between the nimble feel of the short track with a bit more length to help off trail. Bonus was the Cobra track on the 129 Cat. So far based on my mixed sled comparison if I could buy any length for primarily on trail it would be 129. That covers Cat and Doo. Polaris I'd probably go 137 just to get the versatility over the 120.

Kind of long winded and don't know if this really answers your question.

VR700, they are set up very different so it's hard to do a direct comparison. I spend a considerable amount of time setting up the suspension to suit the rider. Hers is set up for

her weight and she likes a softer ride and lighter

steering whereas mine is set up for my weight

and is a more aggressive set up. I can tell you

that Mohawk skis are more aggressive and have

a heavier feel to them than Curves and that the

Cobra track hooks up much better than the

Ripsaw, both studded.

The only direct comparison that I could give you would be between my Switchback 136, Rush 120, MXZ 121 and ZR 129. All rode great and no complaints with any of them. The Rush felt

more nimble and lively than the Switchback but

the Switchback was smoother riding and better

off trail. For trail use I liked the feel of the shorter

track so I got the MXZ in a 121. Great on trail,

sucked off trail. Bought a Cat and the shortest

was a 129 which I felt would be a good

compromise between the nimble feel of the short

track with a bit more length to help off trail.

Bonus was the Cobra track on the 129 Cat. So

far based on my mixed sled comparison if I

could buy any length for primarily on trail it

would be 129. That covers Cat and Doo. Polaris

I'd probably go 137 just to get the versatility

over the 120.

Kind of long winded and don't know if this really answers your question.

Good input. Maybe try 129 this winter. Been sitting on the fence about it. People seem to like them if they do mostly trail riding and abit off trail too.

I went back to the short skid on my 2017.

Frankly the only real advantage I noticed on the 136" is better flotation on the snow. It didn't ride any better. The lug depth offered better traction not the length.

• 1 month later...

Set up is the key to the 1200. I'm surprised at how many guys ride the 1200 with their suspension not set up properly. 

When set up properly IMO for trail riding the 1200 is one of the best. I find for on the trail extra weight in the front isn't a factor . I find the sled much more stable cause of the weight. Yes the weight makes a 

difference when off trail but if off trail is your thing there are way better choices than a 1200.  I have a renegade and it handles on groomed trails better than any sled I have ever owned or ridden for that matter. I have the suspension set up for my weight and gear and changed my skis to the 5.7 r skis and aggressive snowtrackers. This set up turned my gade into a different sled , it handles amazingly now. Just like power steering and the backend of the sled follows wherever the skis are pointed with no push , pull or darting etc. The combination of the aggressive snowtrackers and the deeper keel of the race skis (5.7r) make all the difference in the world. Others have ridden my sled and they all have said it is the best handling 1200 they have ever ridden short or long track. I love my 1200 the more and more I ride it. It never stops impressing me.  This set up was passed on to me and I am very appreciative and hope I can pass this on to someone else and they will be as happy as me.

Cheers

Have a great season!

5 hours ago, kimrr said:

Set up is the key to the 1200. I'm surprised at how many guys ride the 1200 with their suspension not set up properly. 

When set up properly IMO for trail riding the 1200 is one of the best. I find for on the trail extra weight in the front isn't a factor . I find the sled much more stable cause of the weight. Yes the weight makes a 

difference when off trail but if off trail is your thing there are way better choices than a 1200.  I have a renegade and it handles on groomed trails better than any sled I have ever owned or ridden for that matter. I have the suspension set up for my weight and gear and changed my skis to the 5.7 r skis and aggressive snowtrackers. This set up turned my gade into a different sled , it handles amazingly now. Just like power steering and the backend of the sled follows wherever the skis are pointed with no push , pull or darting etc. The combination of the aggressive snowtrackers and the deeper keel of the race skis (5.7r) make all the difference in the world. Others have ridden my sled and they all have said it is the best handling 1200 they have ever ridden short or long track. I love my 1200 the more and more I ride it. It never stops impressing me.  This set up was passed on to me and I am very appreciative and hope I can pass this on to someone else and they will be as happy as me.

Cheers

Have a great season!

Thanks for the great tips Kimrr, I have just made up my mind though and will be going with the 900. It will give me a bit better fuel and oil consumption as well the less weight for me going off trail. I have talked to lots of people that have the 900 and love it, as long as your not wanting to race it or go flying down the lakes which I dont do a lot of. Im more of a cruiser so this works out better for me. 

I got a great price on one at the show from the dealer I wanted to deal with in the first place. As well, shockingly Paul Shaughnessy came up to me at the show and gave me some advise on the 900 and his thoughts after driving one. 

That's great super G you will love the 900. My riding partner rides a 900 and it works real well. When he decides to kick er up on the trail it takes just about all I've got to keep up. He beats me at the gas pumps every time. 

Wish you a safe and enjoyable season.

Keep the rubber side down.

you will love the 900 , i know i doo love mine.

16 hours ago, kimrr said:

That's great super G you will love the 900. My riding partner rides a 900 and it works real well. When he decides to kick er up on the trail it takes just about all I've got to keep up. He beats me at the gas pumps every time. 

Wish you a safe and enjoyable season.

Keep the rubber side down.

Thanks Kimrr, Can't wait to pull the trigger on the purchase. Ive got till the 31st to get it at the price he gave me which comes with a 2 year warranty. He said on Nov 1st skidoo comes out with another promotion and he didnt know what it was until it comes out. he says the price could go up or down or you could get a 3 year warranty or just the 1 year. I think ill have to gamble an get it before the 1st...

Archived